• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$28.00 Bullet feeder for Any Progressive

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
First of all, I want to thank GWhis on ARFCOM for helping me put this together. He gave me the tube sizes and some insight which helped a lot and eliminated some trial and error.

$27.58 not including tax and shipping

6060313869_376141968d_b.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Parts needed</span></span>

Hornady Bullet Feeding Die $23.99
36" 7/16" OD Plastic Tube $2.59 each
Black Tape
5/8" Hitch Pin Clips (2 for each tube)($0.50 each at Home Depot)

The Bullet Feed Die comes with a .355 PTX Powder Through Expander, so you don't need to buy one for your Powder Measure.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Installation of the Bullet Feed Die</span></span>

1. The die doesn't come with any instructions at all. I read up on the internet on how to do this.
  2. First clean the die and all parts of the packing oil all over everything.
  3. Collet A goes in 1st, then Collet B goes on top of it. Screw the top back on until it contacts the collets and then back it out 1/2 a turn. Tighten the lock ring.
  4. Insert a resized and flared piece of brass in the station you are going to use. I use station 3.
  5. Raise the ram all the way up and screw the die in until it just kisses the brass.
  6. Lower the ram and screw the die in 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn. (Mine was fine at a 1/2 turn)
  7. Tighten the lock ring after completed.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Preparing the tubes</span></span>

1. On 1 end of each tube use your black tape and make 3 complete revolutions around the bottom. This will give your tube a snug fit in the die.
  2. About 1/4" above the black tape, drill a hole all the way through so you can insert your hitch pin clip. Drill another hole on the opposite end about 1/4-1/2" from the ends.

As you can now see, the hitch pin clips are there to keep the bullets from falling out of either end. Insert the hitch pin clip on the bottom (side with black tape) and start inserting bullets. I use Montana Gold 124g JHP and the tube can hold about 60. Another 6 will fit into the die.
6060868296_a05e99b68d_z.jpg

You will need to support the top of the tube to something as the weight will bend it and probably snap the tube. I used a simple backstrap with an eye screw.
6060314423_71602e0a6a_z.jpg

All done! When your tube is empty, just put 6 more bullets in the die and add another tube. I keep about 5 tubes handy and pre-loaded.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aBycOUiNEk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aBycOUiNEk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: $28.00 Bullet feeder for Any Progressive

Have you done a time trial? I.e., inserting bullets with the left hand, v/s loading up the tube, and then loading the rounds. Try it and let us know the difference.

I have just the tube on my 650 and it is much faster with the tube. Mine only holds 15 bullets but I just keep it loaded as I'm cranking away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you done a time trial? I.e., inserting bullets with the left hand, v/s loading up the tube, and then loading the rounds. Try it and let us know the difference. </div></div>

I'm still a beginner to progressive loading. The 1st 100 I did with no feeder was 12 minutes. Primer tube filled and brass ready to go. With the added bullet feeder I did it in just over 9 minutes which included changing over tubes.

Now only if I had the case feeder......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I only had an extra station on my 550...</div></div>

From posts on ARFCOM - us 550 users have to use the bullet feeder die in station 3 then have a seating/crimp die in 4

Hope this helps