• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

28 nosler load development/bullet choice

Fleece82

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
First, wasnt exactly sure where to post this on the forum. Hope this is the best place.

Anyway, finally got my custom 28 nosler. It has 22" barrel with 1 in 8.5 twist. The rifle will mostly be used here on the east for whitetail. But also taken out west every couple years for muleys and elk. Ranges here for whitetail will range from 50 yards to 500 yards. However the majority of shots will be 100-300 yards. Out west will obviously have much more long range opportunity.

Ive never shot anything but accubonds in previous magnum rifles. But there are so many new bullets and options for the .284/7mm, i want to be open minded to any newer/better bullets for my needs.

Part of me wants to do just one do it all load. Then i wonder if id be better served to have 2 loads developed. One for whitetail here and one for larger gane out west.

There are a lot of great options out there. Scirocco 2, various accubonds, hammer hunters, sierra gamechanger, federal terminal ascent and so on.

However, the builder says their guns REALLY like the Eldx, but I've heard so many mixed reviews about them. Mostly related to close range (higher velocity) and large (elk) sized game performance.

So not sure if i should stick to the eldx since i know my gun likes them or should i try one of the bonded or mono options.

Would love to hear any opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!

3C3A1E06-0089-4545-8BE7-AE812AA49A33.png

thats with my 28nosler slinging Berger 195s.

Reactions: BCX
I have a 28Nosler with a 22" barrel in 1/8 twist. Currently in the developing a load stages. Im using berger 180's and was using H1000 but couldent get good groupings so ive loaded but not yet tested IMR7977 under the 180's.

Bringing this to the top.

I have a 28 Nosler with a 22” proof CF barrel, running a starting loade of 78grs of Retumbo with Norma brass and 180gr Berger VLD’s. Shot this mix last night for the first time and when I opened the bolt, the entire cartridge was black as night as if the brass did not seal up against the chamber walls. I realize that I may not be building enough pressure with a 22” barrel to adequately seal things off. This is my first ever go at using Retumbo. Has anyone else here ever experienced this?

Any help is appreciated!!!!