• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

28 Nosler Recoil & Stock/Chassis Weight

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
Going to build a 28 Nosler with a Proof Research CF barrel. I am trying to decide what Stock/chassis to put it in. This rifle will be uses for hunting and LR shooting (potentially out to a mile). I always wanted a 7mm and the Nosler just kills all other standard magnum LA calibers.

I will be running an Area419 brake on it so recoil will be reduced on it. However, I am wondering if a Manners or McMillan stock would be a little too light. These stock run about 3.6 lbs (with bottom metal/mini chassis). The KRG and MPA are in that 4.5-5.2 lb range. Not sure the extra 1 or 2 lbs will make a difference but I plan to shoot string of 10-20 at the range in a session.

I have both stocks and chassis on my other builds. I like both for different reasons.

Do y’all think the CF stock would be too light on a 28 Nosler with a CF barrel?

Last edited:
A long time ago, I ran a 7WSM for some comps and it was maybe 11lb originally, all up (the same rifle's closer to 16lb for LR and closer to 9.5lb for "hunting" nowadays), shooting 180s at 2900fps. I believe my stock was about 2.5lb. With an effective brake, recoil wasn't too bad to get back on target shooting prone inside a few hundred yards. Shooting position and scope magnification makes a difference if you expect to see impacts inside a few hundred yards. At a mile you've got a long time to get back on target to witness PoI. Prone, with proper fundamentals, was no problem; free-recoil off a barricade is another matter. Use double ear-pro while using a brake 80+ grains of powder makes for considerable concussion.

With a 26" chromoly sporter contour I smoked a barrel in less than 800 rounds with the 7WSM chamber shooting PRS-style comps back in the day. Quick 20 round strings might be asking a bit much for a LW Carbon contour, depending on your expectations on barrel life.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
A long time ago, I ran a 7WSM for some comps and it was maybe 11lb originally, all up (the same rifle's closer to 16lb for LR and closer to 9.5lb for "hunting" nowadays), shooting 180s at 2900fps. I believe my stock was about 2.5lb. With an effective brake, recoil wasn't too bad to get back on target shooting prone inside a few hundred yards. Shooting position and scope magnification makes a difference if you expect to see impacts inside a few hundred yards. At a mile you've got a long time to get back on target to witness PoI. Prone, with proper fundamentals, was no problem; free-recoil off a barricade is another matter. Use double ear-pro while using a brake 80+ grains of powder makes for considerable concussion.

With a 26" chromoly sporter contour I smoked a barrel in less than 800 rounds with the 7WSM chamber shooting PRS-style comps back in the day. Quick 20 round strings might be asking a bit much for a LW Carbon contour, depending on your expectations on barrel life.

Thanks for the input. I considered a 7mm WSM in the beginning but figured I would go big or go home on this one.

I misspoke in my original post. I probably wouldn’t shoot more than 3-5 in a string with 4 or 5 strings.

I have Tikka 270 WSM going unused I thought about rebarreling.

Last edited:
I'm running my Noz at 3100fps with 195 bergers. What's recoil? That said, I'm at like, 18lbs all up. Even hunted at that weight. Lose the ridiculously heavy LRA bipod and heavy Kahles scope in favor of something lighter and I could be at 15. Still, so long as you have a brake or suppressor you will have zero issues shooting it. The barrel heating up and producing mirage is the only thing that keeps me from shooting more than 8-10 round at a time.

I would think that adding a pound of weight to the rifle would reduce the recoil by about an equivalent pound. I think the brake will be doing the lion's share of the taming. I have a relative who shoots a braked 7STW, which I think is in the ballpark of the 28. It's a sporter hunting rifle not a heavy precision rifle, and it's definitely manageable. I would think the brake would be sufficient, but every pound will just be that much better. If you prefer their fit and feel, I wonder could Manners or McMillan make you a custom filled stock to add weight? Barrel life though is supposedly a little bit shorter on the 28 than the 30 nosler, so maybe worth to consider the cost of barrel replacement.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88