• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 280 Ackley build, Brux or Rock? Length?

Hookturnr

Low Speed, High Drag
Minuteman
  • Jan 20, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA ish..
    Hey guys, I'm planning my next build and would like some input from you . It's going to be a midweight (9lbs approx) carry rifle in 280 ackley, based on a rem 721 in either a Mcm a3 sporter or a Manners t5. My questions for you are would you go with a Brux barrel or a Rock barrel and how long would you go in a #5 fluted contour? Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Re: 280 Ackley build, Brux or Rock? Length?

Don't think you will go wrong with either brand. I would go 26" and never look back. Just my .002. Paul.
    smile.gif

www.boltfluting.com

Brux & Rock are both great barrel companies, either will work!!

I'd go 26" finished length on the 280 Ackely if you're wanting to shoot at longer ranges.

26" for me and couldn't be happier!

I just sent back my 280AI w/ Brux barrel. Smith confirmed, through shooting it, that the barrel just won't hold accuracy. Now, the smith says that's the first time he's ever had that happen with any barrel maker. Brux has given him another barrel. He had 7mm Obermeyers in stock, so I had him screw one of those on. He test fired 25 rounds and says, it's good to go. I've got one eye on the mailbox.

I don't want to dis Brux, but just share <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">my</span></span> experience. I know there are probably thousands here that will say Brux barrels are great, and I believe them. Good luck with your build.

ALL barrel companies have to replace a barrel every now & then - it happens!!

As long as they replace the barrel & take care of the customer, thats how to measure how good they are.

Absolutely agree. 26" is what I've got on my build.

All the Brux barrels that I own and have worked with have been great, as well as their customer service. I've heard 1 or 2 stories of barrels being "no good" and guy that tells me has always said "I told Brux, they talked to my smith and he had a new one in short order coming free of charge"

My customer experience with them has been excellent and they seem to be the only barrel maker that actually understands what a lead time "quote" means... They've met or beat the quoted lead times for me on the last 3 barrels.

I've got a Rock barrel and it shoots great as well.

Just pick one and then pick a gunsmith that knows their job inside and out. It's far more common to put good parts in front of a shade-tree "smith" that doesn't know their business than it is to get a bad barrel from either of the companies you're looking at.

I'm a short barrel guy, so for a carry gun I would go no longer than 24. Just my preference. And my next barrel will be a rock.

My Brux shoots better then several of my buddies guns that are full customs sporting Rock and Bartlein barrels.

I bore scoped my Brux and if I hadn't known I would of thought I was looking through a Krieger. I will use Brux from now on just because of how could my last gun shoots.

I would get whatever is cheaper because they are both awesome barrels.

Thanks for the input guys!
    I am leaning toward 24" to keep the weight down a bit as I already have a couple LOOONNNGGG heavy sticks for reaching wayyyyyyy over there-------------> and I am looking for a comfortable up n down the mountain carry gun so weight is a big issue. That's actually why I'm going with a #5 and not heavier. Is there really that much to gain going 26"? I don't have any experience with the 280 ackley personally is why I ask. It's my caliber of choice for this so I can use those slippery 7mm pills and push toward the 7mag performance range without dealing with a belted case. I've already got a 300RUM for shooting into the next zip code so it doesn't need to fill that role, just be good to 1000 on the outside on paper and 600 max on game(my personal limit with anything).

I am building basically the same gun right now. Mine is a 24 in rock no 5 fluted. 24 inch plus break I already have a match gun built with the same barrel except varmint fluted and 28 inches. I already have a load for it and I hope it works in both guns. I even sent a fired case to headspace with. I have a 8.7 twist. I also have a htg ready to go. Should be around 9 lbs all up. I will prolly run another vortex hs 4-16 44 mm to keep the weight down. This should be my hunt anything from hogs to white tails to elk rig out to about 600-700. Harold Fred is building it so u know it will be a hammer. FYI I sent my first rock back. The rest of them have been hammers. Everybody gets a bad one every now and then. It's what the company does after that that counts.

I did check out the rock group buy and its tempting but I think I want to stick to a cut rifled barrel for the accuracy potential. Todd...its like you read my mind!
    eek.gif
    Same optics on my build as well...hmmm
    crazy.gif
    mayhap I'm stumbling down the right road with this one..Kevin Cram will be doing mine and I expect it will be a tackdriver knowing his rep.