• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280 Ackley Improved

riverrat13

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
Newbern, TN
I am in the market to build my next hunting rifle. It will primarily be used on whitetail. However I would like to have the ability to use it on mulies and elk. After alot of research, the 280 AI seems to be the caliber that checks the most boxes. With 140 grains at 3200 FPS and 180 grains at 2800+, it seems to be able to bring the speed and KE needed without stepping up to a magnum round, while still maintaining decent barrel life (2500+ rounds). Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to get some first hand opinions on the 280 AI and how it compares to relatively similar calibers. (7mm-08, 270, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag) Also, what twist would you recommend, 1:8 or 1:7.5? I will probably stay with the 160+ grain bullets.

- I reload, and Nosler Brass seems to be easy enough to get. Worst case, you have to fireform 280 Rem. So I am not worried about availability of factory ammo.
- I want to stay under 8lbs bare rifle. So the shorter barrel the better (I am talking 22'' or 24''). That may steer me to the 7.5 twist.

I have a 280AI that was built by Robert Gradous and I love it. Currently I am pushing 168 Berger’s at 2915 and here is a 500 yard group. I would stay at 24 on barrel length.

Attachments

• BA3CE6A9-594D-469D-908B-6F78BE0B9D99.jpeg
    BA3CE6A9-594D-469D-908B-6F78BE0B9D99.jpeg
    997.4 KB · Views: 108
260 AI is more than enough for elk. And its a SA round. But 280 AI is pretty dope though. A buddy has one and I like it.

Scott

MileHigh built my father a .280AI on a mausingfield. His favorite rifle. Getting 3,168 out of factory 140gr nosler, 3,000+ out of 162gr ELD-X bullets handloads. The gun just shoots. I have been really impressed with the results and the performance. Have not tried the 180gr bullets but I would bet that the velocities would be really close to a 7mm RemMag.

See more here:
https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...y-milehigh-its-a-shooter.6871206/post-7031212

Go with the fastest twist you can get in the barrel you like. Make sure you'll have the mag length to use good bullets like the 180 eld m. I'm currently collecting parts for my 280 build. I already have a Grayboe Terrain and M5 Stealth bottom metal. I am waiting for my Nucleus to arrive before I order a barrel. I'm not a fan of Nosler brass in general so I plan on necking down Lapua 30/06 brass.

I have a 7mm08 barrel that I punched to AI so its not twisted fast enough for the 180 eld m but it loves the 162 amax and eld m. For AI chambers I like to neck down from a larger parent to create a false shoulder for a slight crush fit. I get 2850FPS in necked down and formed Lapua 308 brass with R17. I have to use a binderless AICS mag so I can seat the bullet out to touch the lands. Good luck, 7mm is best mm!

Edited to add - You may want to look at the Barrett Field Craft in 7mm08 if you want a rifle for just hunting. Its lightweight, has a big mag box and fast twist. Plenty of oomph for elk.

Last edited:
Reactions: WI3Der
I've played around with the idea of a 280ai for my mausingfield but unsure if I really want another set of dies.

Had a 280AI built by Summit Rifles in Georgia. I've big game hunted and/ or guided for more that 20 years and the 280ai has been a very versatile killing machine. I've taken coyotes at distance, elk, moose, bear, mulies, whitetail, bear and have had great performance from mine. 1 in 8 and just under 24" barrel, 160gr nosler partitions. It's all I hunt with.

Reactions: TheChief
I have a 280AI built by Phoenix Custom Rifles. I've had a lot of different 7's but so far this is my favorite. If I'm being honest with myself I don't shoot light weight magnums all that well, 280 seems like the perfect blend of performance w/ 30/06 level recoil. I get 2960 with an accurate load of Norma MRP, can go faster but that seems to be where it wants to shoot. Nosler brass so far is holding up well, and its nice that trimming is almost a thing of the past w/ the ackley improved case. My supply of the 162AMax are almost used up, at some point I'll need to switch over to something else. You shouldn't have a problem staying under 8 lbs bare rifle. A 24-26" #4 contour and Mcmillan or Manners carbon fiber stock should land you somewhere between 7-8lbs. If you go with an adjustable cheek piece, maybe just a touch more. In my experience a 7 Rem. Mag will net you about another 100 fps, with all else being equal, but will use a few more grains of powder to get there.

I had a Borden built 280AI 24 " hart barrel that was 3175fps with 140 's. Used h4350

My 280ai will be headed back from Alamo precision by the end of the week, TL action, 24inch proof barrel and a McMillan A3 Sporter in edge fill. Top it off with a Leupold Mark 5 it should be under 8.5 pounds ready to hunt.

I've got a .280 Ackley built by Accurate Ordnance with a 22" Brux 1-9" twist. It shoots the 160-168's fine. Haven't shot anything heavier.

With RL-26 my load is at 2950 with the 160 Accubond and 2925 with the 162 ELDx. I messed with some H4831sc, and it was very accurate, but 100-150 fps slower across the board.

Its shot suppressed 100% of the time, that's why I went with the 22" barrel, no regrets as the speeds are acceptable for me.

Mine is 24" 1- 9 twist #2 contour Krieger on a Win M70 action, Vn-165, 62grains with the berger 168 gr Hvld, average speed 2920, just kissing the lands this load shoots .75" at 200 yards consistently and great at long range. Also RL-17 at 56 Grains all else the same shoots at 2950 fps and shoots great at 1k its just a more temp sensitive powder so I would use it when its above 40.
Its a great round you wont regret it.
Elmer