• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280 AI Load Info

Tryhardnobody

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Hi all, I'm building a 280 AI off a Tikka action and I want to shoot the 162 ELD-X or Berger 168 VLD maybe.

I'm a bit concerned about the mag length on the Tikka. It measures at 3.380. I'm just wondering if this set up will allow me to shoot these projectiles without having to seat the bullet too far into the case? Anybody on here shooting a 280 AI with the 162's or 168's and if so, what are your COL on those?

Thanks!

the 162 eldx aren’t extraordinarily long nor are 168smk I think your going to run into more problems with Berger vld than either of those. I think you’ll be fine, when I get off work I’ll give you actual oal for my loads. The eldx and 4831sc were a good match for me. But mine is a savage with a 24” proof sendero prefit

Also in my experience eld bullets don’t really care where they are set at in jump for accuracy wise. But I’m assuming you’re worried about velocity, I’m that case a pretty devistating bullet is a 140 at around 3200fps. In my experience

Thanks for the replies! I should have mentioned this is a hunting rifle so I need a hunting bullet, I don't have any ELD-X but glad to hear they are shorter. I use Bergers in all of my other rifles but I kind of am building this rifle for the 162 ELD-X. If they don't shoot I might have to go to lighter bullet but I'll report my results

I think you should check with your gunsmith about freebore etc. and then think about bullet selection. Also there are a lot of animals killed with “match” bullets hell gun works custom ammo is loaded with “match” bullets

I did check with my smith about freebore, he said the reamer is .015 freebore but I will have a more specific convo with him prior to starting. I know that there is quite a bit of discussion about hunting vs match bullets and alot of people using match to hunt with good results.