• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280 Brass without nickle plate

JC189

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
Palm City Florida
where can you buy 280 brass that is not nickle plated? And why do they Plate it? It seems that there is no problem finding any other cal. in plain Brass. I need to fireform some more 280AI and I do not want to use nickle plated Brass. I found a place on line that advertised 280 Brass. I ordered 600 rounds, when it arrived today I opened the box and it was nickle plated. Whats up with all the 280 brass that is available being nickle plated? You would think the would say it is nickle plated. Any suggestions???

Re: 280 Brass without nickle plate

Was it Winchester or Federal brand or Remington brand?
I have found Remington usually does not plate their 280 brass but Winchester and Federal do. You can still fire form them. I have for my 280AI and they are fine. Or send them back and get regular brass.

I know I can still use them, but the nickle plate is not as good for reloading. The nickle comes off and can get in the dies. Would much rather find regular Brass and not have to worry about it. It is winchester brass. I just cant seem to find any Rem. Brass anywhere. If someone can share a web site or some info on where to get Regular plain ol Brass it would be very helpful.

I fire form using Remington 280 brass and picked it up local at cabelas. I also use the nosler 280AI brass in another rifle. By the time you figure cost of projo, powder, primer, time its not as cheap but easier just to pony up the extra bucks for the nosler stuff.

Thanks, Cabelas is always out of it. everytime I check it is on backorder. I cant find it anywhere else. I guess I will just have to place an order even if it is on back order and wait for it.

Personally, I hate nickel brass. It chips on the case mouth and is very hard on trimmers. If you are going to work your brass, stay away from it.

The only application I can think of is maybe coastal Alaska where you might be worried about salt corrosion and had not intention of reloading the cases.

Maybe you can use 270W if you can't find what you want in 280? In any case, I'd return it, I have no use for it. Well, I have some, but I toss them. Pistol cases are fine, not bottle neck.
BB

I sent back the nickle plated stuff. I dont want to mess with it. I placed an order with natchez. Thanks for the tip. I forgot about natchez, I haven't bought anything from them in a few years.