• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .280 in 300 win mag AI mag

sirhitalot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2011
bergen, norway
Hi. Is it just bending the feed lips slightly that is required to get a .280 / .30-06 to fit the 300 win mag AI mag? Ive got the mags, but havent installed the bottom metal yet. Anyone have pictures of these mag fitted to the .30-06 cartridge? I dont want to overbend it, because the rifle might be chambered in 7mm rem mag in the not so distant future.
thanks

Re: .280 in 300 win mag AI mag

I would not bend them at all. They should feed fine the way they are. Mine did

I wish I had the same luck as Jake. I have a 280 that uses AI mags. I had to bend the feed lips to get it to feed properly and so the cartridges wouldn't fall out the back. They are very tough and kind of a pain to bend without buggering them up. If you find you need to bend them, I used a vise and a couple thin steel plates with a thin wire spacer between them. The feed lips of the mag will just fit in between the pieces of steel and allow you to bend them uniformly. just keep tweeking them a little at a time until the back of the cartridge hit the top of the back of the mag. You might end up having to play with the spacing on the front of the lips to get it to feed properly out of the mag and at the correct angle. Don't use pliers of vise grips as they wil tear up the mags and scratch the crap out of your brass.

It really irks me that so many manufacturers make mags and bottom metal for WSM cartridges, but there is nothing for '06 based rounds. It's not like the 30-06 and it's brethren are uncommon. Good luck with you mags.

I spent a week in Trondheim a long long time ago. Its a nice place with good people. As I recall I had to go through "Hell" to get there.
smile.gif

thanks for the tips guys. i'll first test without doing anything, checking the reliability.
@ykrvak, hehe, you are correct. "Hell" is a little place between the airport and the city:) Very popular amongst english speaking tourists.

If any of you could take some pictures of your mag with cartridges it would be great. thanks.

I have been running 280AI out of AICS 300wm mags. Works great and once worked out feeds flawless. I used a HS precision feed lip tool to work my magpies. I did have one mag that fed without issue but the rest needed a bit of love.

IMG_5338.JPG

I run the 300 win mags also with the feed lips tweeked a little, the fed great but i did end up trimming back the the front of the feed lips to make it easier to loads the ackley rounds as the shoulder was right at the end of the lips.

Tanks for picture, Poke. Will probably make a tool similar. Love the AI version, but not worth the cash atm.

2013-01-19134832_zps0d19f3cc.jpg

2013-01-19135259_zps14db6613.jpg

just did the inletting in my ADL (no magazine floor plate).

@ Poke, could you take another picture from behind? Want to see how much of the cartridge base that is visible from the rear.
thanks

I fixed the magz now, just made a small cut with the band saw in an aluminium profile and bent the lips slightly. Worked great.
null-6.jpg

After the mod is on the left ( you probably guessed that
wink.gif
)

Reactions: Yaremkiv

I fixed the magz now, just made a small cut with the band saw in an aluminium profile and bent the lips slightly. Worked great.
null-6.jpg

After the mod is on the left ( you probably guessed that
wink.gif
)
That's a sweet backwoods lip bender! Thanks for the idea