• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280 rem dies/280 AI question

Hookturnr

Low Speed, High Drag
Minuteman
  • Jan 20, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA ish..
    I've got a question for those that know far more than I...I have a 280AI coming back pretty soon here and am currently looking for dies for it. I was wondering if I could use the Lee Collet neck sizing 280 remington die and seater and then an Rcbs Full length 280AI resizer with the expander removed to FL size the body every so often? I've seen a bunch of recommendations for the Redding Bushing dies but I've never used them before, however I have had good results with the lee Collet die in 30/06 using the lee FL resizer. I'd hate to over work the Nosler 280AI brass if I don't have to so I'm looking for alternatives. Everything else I load for gets FL Sized with redding Comp shellholders to set to .002 shoulder bump and that's been good for me as well. I'm open to suggestions as this is my first Full Custom build and I want to get everything out of it that I can.

I have had really good luck with Hornady caliber specific neck sizer dies. Along with a Hornady seating die you would be good to go for load development and you could up grade later if you weren't happy. That is exactly what I do with my 25-223 and 6mm AI, so far I have been happy with the results.

Or just pony up and do it right the first time....buy quality the first time and only cry once.

I was actually trying to get a set of hornady dies but they're out of stock everywhere. I can get Redding Fl dies and RCBS Fl dies but can't find any caliber specific neck sizers for 280 AI. I may just pick up a set of FL dies for now but wanted some options if they're feasible..

Last edited:
    I wasn't aware of that option being available from hornady, thanks! That just might be the road to go. I'd still like to know if the lee collet die in 280 will work properly as I have had great results with them in 30/06. I'll try calling Lee next week and see what they have to say, but the hornady die looks like a viable option as well.

According to Lee, there is enough room in the machining to allow you to use the collet die for the parent cartridge for AI variants. Now to decide which direction to go........