• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280 Remington with 180 ELDs

Aaron47pb

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Moscow, ID
Anyone shooting the 180 ELD Ms in a straight 280 Rem? If so, what is your load, COL, barrel length/twist, and velocity? I'm doing my homework on this caliber in an SSG 3000 and I'm curious if I can get a decent load with a COL under 3.45" (max COL in SSG mags).

Thanks!

To shoot something that heavy, you may want to consider the .280 AI. It is now a SAAMI cartridge with excellent brass from Nosler.
In a pinch, you can shoot factory .280 ammo.
The .280 was really geared towards the 140-150 class bullets.
It WILL shoot the heavier bullets, but the additional 5 percent capacity will give you a bit more velocity and the steeper shoulder means less trimming.

Reactions: Aaron47pb
Thanks for the suggestion. But I can't fit the 280AI shoulder in the SSG 3000 mag. It has a taper and the shoulder on the 280 AI is just a hair too far forward to fit the mag. Otherwise I would take your advice.

I've seen some folks discuss shooting the 180 ELDs out of a 284 Win. So I hoped some folks were shooting it out of a straight 280 as well. Am I correct in assuming I can push a 180 grain bullet faster with the 280 Rem than a 284 Win, given the additional case capacity?

Kind of a tough nut on that one.
There is only about 1.5 grains difference in case capacity, with the .280 having the edge.
Short, fat cases are more efficient than long thin ones. For identical case capacites, the shorter case normally nets higher velocities, so your 1.5 grains capacity likely won't net an increase in velocity over the .284.
Add in the fact that with the .284, you would be able to seat the bullets out farther to allow more room in the case, you would likely have an actual capacity advantage , especially with something as long as the 180.
I think you're still looking at around 2600 - 2700 fps on the top end.

7SAW shooting 180 ELDm's. 2.955 COAL.

42.4gr Varget 2750fps

i'd imagine you'd get a little more fps than that

no info on the 280, but just for reference for you on a smaller case