• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.280 Ross and the Canadian Model 1910, any good reference material?

jphil108

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2010
I just got done re-reading Herbert McBride’s book “a rifleman went to war” about his experiences as a machine gunner and sniper in the trenches with our northern neighbors in the Great War and he talks a good deal about the Accuracy and flat trajectory of the Ross model 1910 rifles they attempted to bring into combat. the Wikipedia article talks a lot about the politics that got the rifle approved for service and how the interrupted thread bolt lugs and straight pull bolt made for a rifle that needed constant attention and had troubles with frozen bolts in winter service, my question is do any of you guys know of a good book on these rifles or even better, have first hand experience shooting one? There aren’t many good pictures of the military variant available online and I’m curious about them.

I appreciate the heads up on abebooks.com, it’s like Amazon was before it went all... Amazon.

Since this forum is supposed to be about vintage sniper rifles, I thought this excerpt might be of interest re the Ross Mk 3 - esp the last sentence.
Source, Military Small Arms of the 20th Century , 7th Edition, (2000), by Ian Hogg, page 177.

Attachments

• Ross_Mk3_sniper.jpg
    Ross_Mk3_sniper.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: