• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280AI and 180 Berger VLD, who else is playing with this combo?

Hookturnr

Low Speed, High Drag
Minuteman
  • Jan 20, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA ish..
    Hey all, I just got my 280AI finished up and have been starting load development with the Berger 180 VLD. I had the rifle throated for the bullet so I've got the case capacity to play with.

I haven't really found anyone else running this particular bullet so I struck out "into the great unknown" and went with H1000 to start with. I'm at 60gr. now using Fed. Match primers and not seeing any signs of pressure on the brass but the primers are looking kinda flat. The chronograph says 2750 avg. The accuracy has been promising but not quite what I'm after yet.

Anyone else running this combo? I'm looking to get this moving faster (2900-3000), is anyone else getting there?

What is working for you other 280AI guys?

Must have a long barrel to get that. Im running 26inch barrel on mine. Pushing the 168longrange accubonds at 2850 with 7828 and also h4350. Mild load 57.5 grains. 1/4moa at 200yards things a hammer. 180 is a pretty big bullet for that case to wanna push 3k. prob coukd be done though if u play with powder. I doubt h1000 will get u their though

Kasey

I'm running a tight chambered 24" Rock and I've reached 2800 with the Federal primers just starting to flatten at the edges.

If I could find some BR2's I'd give them a go for the harder cups. 3000 is where I'd like to end up, may be wishful thinking, but I'm not opposed to going slower. I've shot a couple groups in the .180 range and nothing over .635 during this short workup already and will end up going with best accuracy/consistency in the end. The 24" barrel was a compromise to hit a weight number and keep the rifle under 10lbs finished so I know I may not hit 3k with it.

I'm going to run through a Berger seating depth test and see if my ES/SD tighten up and see if it likes a little jump next.

I also have some H4831SC and some Retumbo on hand, perhaps I'll give one of those a shot.....maybe try a Mag primer..

I have a Sako 7RM that just doesn't like the 180's no matter how I try to feed them. I went 280AI to get into that neighborhood and not deal with a PIA belted case. I know 3K is a bit optimistic, but they're just as effective at 2800 and I'm already there with the first load combo I got into. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been down this particular road as I haven't been able to find anything posted anywhere about it.

Reactions: amaxjack
    No one else running 180VLD in a 280AI?
    I'm getting some great accuracy out of it, just a little slower than I would like to be. I have the gun throated for the 180's so I've got plenty of case capacity just need to find the right powder....

Hate to break it to you, but 3000 fps with a 180gr and a 24" bbl in that caliber isn't going to happen.