• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280AI tikka mag length issues

DFNM

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2021
So I bought a custom built rifle on a tikka and was planning on shooting 175 Berger classic hunters. So I got my OAL of what would touch lands and if I jumped them .020” they would not clear the mag. If I wanted to clear mag they would have to be jumped .190” which I don’t want to do. So I’m just curious on what people have done to alleviate this issue.

I’m really not wanting to shoot lighter bullets due to the fact that I have a 6.5-06 AI so it’s the same brass just a different sized neck. And I shoot 156 in that. So I don’t want 2 guns that do the same thing.

I just wasn’t sure if anyone had this issue or if there’s a different mag I could use or some way that I can shoot longer bullets?

Tikka action
Bartlien 23” barrel
Ag composite stock
MT bottom metal
MT magazine

Get a different barrel and have it chambered for the round as you want it.

Reactions: DFNM
What’s the max OAL for your magazine? I couldn’t find specs for the Mountain Tactical mag length, but these might be an option. Only downside is, you may need some inletting to make it work with your stock.

Easiest solution is to go with the 162 ELD-M, more speed, better BC, they kill shit dead.

Not much you can do besides go to AICS mags. Mountain tactical, red snake, and a couple others make them. You’ll have to do some mods to your trigger housing or feed ramp to get the 3.715 mags to run

Thanks! I’ll look into that! The max length is 3.400” for the MT. Which I don’t know if it’s standard and this barrel was just cut for a really long bullet or if there was some fix or something that I didn’t know about that would allow me to shoot heavies.
What’s the max OAL for your magazine? I couldn’t find specs for the Mountain Tactical mag length, but these might be an option. Only downside is, you may need some inletting to make it work with your stock.

Reactions: waspocrew
Easiest solution is to go with the 162 ELD-M, more speed, better BC, they kill shit dead.
I’ve just always been scared of match bullets for a hunting rig. But I’d try them

And I have a 6.5-06 AI so it’s the same exact brass just a 264 vs 284 in my 280 AI. So I’m trying to shoot a heavier bullet in my 280 that way I don’t have 2 guns that are identical.

Not much you can do besides go to AICS mags. Mountain tactical, red snake, and a couple others make them. You’ll have to do some mods to your trigger housing or feed ramp to get the 3.715 mags to run
I’ll call them Tuesday and see, I’m assuming it’d be all new bottom metal, mag, etc….?

This is my first tikka so I know nothing about how they work/what parts to use or what will fit

I’ve just always been scared of match bullets for a hunting rig. But I’d try them

And I have a 6.5-06 AI so it’s the same exact brass just a 264 vs 284 in my 280 AI. So I’m trying to shoot a heavier bullet in my 280 that way I don’t have 2 guns that are identical.
Buddy of mine killed a moose at 500 yards out of a 7mm-08 with this bullet and it was probably going 300 FPS slower than what you’ll get out of a 280AI in a Tikka action.
Match bullet or not, they absolutely kill.
Like the other poster said, you could always go with a slightly longer AICS mag but that will require new DBM, new mag and maybe even some action work for very marginal gains. The Tikka action is not a true CIP length long action, so you’ll have to work within that length for mag feeding or you can always single round feed with a quiver.
Personally I’d just go with the 162, it solves all your problems. That’s what I’m doing with my 7 SAUM in a short action.

Buddy of mine killed a moose at 500 yards out of a 7mm-08 with this bullet and it was probably going 300 FPS slower than what you’ll get out of a 280AI in a Tikka action.
Like the other poster said, you could always go with a slightly longer AICS mag but that will require new DBM, new mag and maybe even some action work for very marginal gains. The Tikka action is not a true CIP length long action, so you’ll have to work within that length for mag feeding or you can always single round feed with a quiver.
Personally I’d just go with the 162, it solves all your problems. That’s what I’m doing with my 7 SAUM in a short action.
I didn’t know that the Tikkas were shorter then a Rem long action. That makes sense. I’ll look into the bullets

So your buddy shooting 162’s doesn’t have fitting mag issues out of his tikka ? The ogive is far enough forward it’ll clear mag?

I’ll call them Tuesday and see, I’m assuming it’d be all new bottom metal, mag, etc….?

This is my first tikka so I know nothing about how they work/what parts to use or what will fit
Yeah, you need the LA AICS bottom metal and a 3.715” magazine. Idk what MDTs 30-06 mags are length wise since mostly 300wm type rounds are 3.715”

ETA: MDT makes 3.715” 30-06 mags

So I bought a custom built rifle on a tikka and was planning on shooting 175 Berger classic hunters. So I got my OAL of what would touch lands and if I jumped them .020” they would not clear the mag. If I wanted to clear mag they would have to be jumped .190” which I don’t want to do. So I’m just curious on what people have done to alleviate this issue.

I’m really not wanting to shoot lighter bullets due to the fact that I have a 6.5-06 AI so it’s the same brass just a different sized neck. And I shoot 156 in that. So I don’t want 2 guns that do the same thing.

I just wasn’t sure if anyone had this issue or if there’s a different mag I could use or some way that I can shoot longer bullets?

Tikka action
Bartlien 23” barrel
Ag composite stock
MT bottom metal
MT magazine
There's your problem... Everyone loves to suck-off Tikka on this forum, but facts are, they're really not that great for custom actions to build into long-action cartridges, unless you stick to factory ammo. Factory rifles and short-action cartridges, sure... But LA cases...No.

But to help you out... I have a 7mm-08 that I'm jumping Berger 175 Elite Hunter at 0.135" due to the short-action not having the feed ramps milled for an AICS mag (which will get done when I have to rebarrel it), and they shoot 1/4 MOA (typical groups are around 1/3 MOA)... The best way to go about this, is to set your OAL, and then work up loads with different charge weights to find what shoots best. This is how I do all my load development, but it also works best to do this with rifles limited by mag length, where you have to set your OAL by the magazine.

DULY5072.jpg

Last edited:
Get a different barrel and have it chambered for the round as you want it.
This would be his best bet.

And if he wants to keep it 7mm... Then I'd go with a 20"-22" 1:8 twist chambered in 7mm SAW.

In the mid-length Tikka action, it would be a really nice combo, and with StaBall 6.5 and 175's, he'd get damn-near .280 AI velocities.

What is it going to cost to have a barrel chambered so that a mag length cartridge will just barely kiss the lands? You can then back away without issue and develop a load for the bullet YOU want to shoot.