• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 284 8 twist

GB213

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Maryland
I have a 284 barrel with an 8 twist for a .284 or 7WSM or 7mm rem mag build. With a fast twist like that, am I going to limit myself to only the really heavy bullets, or will I still be able to shot 162 amax?

Re: 284 8 twist

I am very interested in this topic as well. I am finalizing the build for a 7STW and not sure if I should stick with 9" like I currently have or drop to the 8". I will not shoot anything under 160gr and would love to only shoot 180 VLD's.

Any advice is appreciated here as well.

i had a 9tw on my last 284 and it stabilized the 180's well so i would be concerned about overotation with 8tw and 162's only testing will really tell you though.

i would suggest looking at matrix bullets they make a 190gr vld that has better bc than any other 7mm bullet made i am pretty sure. I have a buddy who is currently testing them in his 7wsm and so far it looks like the bc are fairly accurate.

http://matrixballistics.com/.284-Caliber-rifle-bullets.html

You'll spin the jackets off of the 162's in an 8 twist out of a 7 mag. Been there when it happened, again & again.......

I'd run a 1-9 by default in the 7mm. My 7/300 drives the 180's at 2,920fps with ease, very accurate.

Yup stick with the 9. I had someone tell me I would spin jackets off with 8. Unless I wanted to shoot solids.