• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

284 barrel length?

ponyexpress85

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
Oklahoma
I'm looking to rebarrel a long action 700 in straight 284. My question is, does anybody have any personal experince with short barreled 284s. I'm talking 22" or 24". Im thinking about running 162 amax. The reason for the short barrel length is because I plan on using a SAS can and I don't want a super long rifle. I'm not a speed freak, I just want an accurate rifle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 284 barrel length?

no less then 24" or you are defeating the purpose of the caliber. I went 27.5" on mine and run a AAC 300SD Ti.

I've found 284 to be quite sensitive to barrel length. I've had two barrels, and one of those barrels has lived at two different lengths.

The bartlein was 25.5" recoil lug to crown, and a stiff charge of H4350 would net me just over 2700 from a 175/180 bullet. H4831 topped out at 2700, and wouldn't go faster regardless of how much powder I stuffed in the case.

The Krieger was 29" recoil lug to crown and with a rather moderate charge of H4831sc, a 175/180 would go ~2875. Then I clipped 1" off that same barrel, and now it goes ~2835.

For barrels in the ~24-30" zone (ish), I think a 284 will see about 40fps/inch.

i gained 100 fps going from a 27" to a 31" barrel using the exact same load. i suspect the gain/loss per inch would be much greater going below 27".

I went with a 25" barrel on a recommendation from my gunsmith to maximize performance and minimize weight, and I really like it. I've only shot a box of the factory Winchester 150gr. rounds, but was getting around 2890fps with them, and they are very mild loads, so you can expect a little over 3000fps from a barrel of my length with the same weight bullet.

also keep in mind that reloader 17 had proven to produce amazing results in the 284, with most people showing that it gets about 100fps more velocity than other powders and maintains great accuracy, so 2800fps with 180gr. rounds is possible from a 24" barrel using this powder.

I went with a 26" one mine and when I build another I will go longer to gain a little more speed. Personally I wouldn't go any shorter than 26, I am getting about 2800 or so out of mine.

Walter