• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

284 win as a repeater/tactical ?

st1650

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
Thinking about getting a bigger brother for my 7mm-08. Now that Lapua offers factory 284 brass and MDT has XM magazine and there is even a DSSF Tikka LA Mag ( https://ndrshootingsupplies.com/col...ts/10-round-magazine-tikka-t3-t3x-long-action ). It's really tempting to go with an intermediate action, straight 284 when you see how well they do with the 180 and the 184 hybrid. Also decent barrel life.
I'm just a little bit worried about feeding reliability and non standard magazines, it's a caliber that's usually single fed in Fclass.
I'm tempted to do the Tikka action because it would be easy to find a cheap donor 30.06 action and save 1k over a Defiance XM but then the stocks choices would be limited. I'd probably go McMillan A6-7 with a Area419 rail or a Manners PRS1TK. On a Defiance XM, I like the look of the new McMillan U10-7, the Manners LRH or the Ridgeback. Also like the fact that there are a lot of chassis available for the XM (MDT, MPA and XLR).

Goal is mostly steels up to 1 mile and maybe some heavier game hunting.

Long story short, why isn't this caliber more popular on the hide ? What's the catch ?

A few reasons that I can think of.

With the 6mm & 6.5mm bullets being so good there’s not much reason to pick something that recoils more.

280ai

I’ve seen several mentions of .284 Win though. It’s plenty popular, there’s just sooo many great choices

Reactions: BLEE
It’s huge in F class
In a medium action it would totally kick ass or possibly a short action with 168 grain or lighter bullets.
About 100 fps slower than a 7 saum or 280AI.

The primary reason I wouldn't is headaches associated with the non standard length. Either go up to LA and use 30-06 AICS mags or pick another cartridge. I kicked around this idea a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth the effort compared to a different cartridge. For reference, I had a 7WSM in a short action and don't want to do it again.

The primary reason I wouldn't is headaches associated with the non standard length. Either go up to LA and use 30-06 AICS mags or pick another cartridge. I kicked around this idea a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth the effort compared to a different cartridge. For reference, I had a 7WSM in a short action and don't want to do it again.
That could be plan C with a TL3 LA action. But afaik, isn’t there only 5 round single feed available? I’d rather have the option for 10 rounds DSSF.

That could be plan C with a TL3 LA action. But afaik, isn’t there only 5 round single feed available? I’d rather have the option for 10 rounds DSSF.

Yep. That's why 7wsm gets squeezed into short actions.

If your goal is steel at 1 mile and hunting then I don't see why you would need to have 10 round mags?

I was set on a 284 Shehane for a while - ended up looking at the Sherman Wildcats instead. 7SS in SA or 7Max in Med might be worth a look. SS is a touch smaller but more efficient than the SAUM, and the Max is a SAUM improved.

I guess it would be more reasonable just to stay with 7mm-08 and throat it for the 162 ELDM/X and load them at around 2.950” , 2700-2800 FPS with RL17 on a 26” 1:9 bartlein HV. Then I don’t have to worry about intermediate or LA actions.

I have had. 284 in a few different actions but no xms. The tikka worked well with a 5round ai long action bottom metal set up, worked flawlessly in a mausingfield la, have had a couple minor issues on other long actions.

if you need dssf then basically you need the xm/lone peak or go with a short mag. FYI the short action dssf would be around 8 instead of 10 due to the larger case diameter on the 284 win.

Reactions: st1650
I have had. 284 in a few different actions but no xms. The tikka worked well with a 5round ai long action bottom metal set up, worked flawlessly in a mausingfield la, have had a couple minor issues on other long actions.

if you need dssf then basically you need the xm/lone peak or go with a short mag. FYI the short action dssf would be around 8 instead of 10 due to the larger case diameter on the 284 win.
Yeah a CRF like the mausingfield or TL3 would definitely help in a LA. Did you get rid of yours ?

I have 2 friends that shoot tactical/ field matches with them. Both are on worked over long action 700’s. With a good brake on them they are quite competitive. I wouldn’t hesitate to build one. They definitely smack the 1000 plus yard targets with authority.

Yeah a CRF like the mausingfield or TL3 would definitely help in a LA. Did you get rid of yours ?
Yeah I sold the mausingfield as I just preferred a shorter throw/more clearance. This was before they had the slightly shorter bolt rotation model.

F-class usually uses single fed because box fed doesn’t help them and single feed actions are “stiffer”, thats what she said. However if you’re starting from scratch, I’d take a hard look at 7 saum. ADG brass is equal, if not, better than lapua.

Sounds like you haven't decided on an action, or have one in hand. So based on that, take a look at the numbers, saum is going to beat out a straight 284 all day long with the same inherent accuracy. Run your XM or whatever for slightly better performance, I'm running 7 saum on a 26” barrel, 180’s @2990 with RL23, with a short action saami chamber. May be a fast barrel, but anything in that burn rate (IMR/H4831) should yield 2950ish just fine, depending on nodes. I guess what I’m trying to say is there’s better case designs out there, do some research.

edited to add, where the fuck are finding a tikka donor for that much?

I guess it would be more reasonable just to stay with 7mm-08 and throat it for the 162 ELDM/X and load them at around 2.950” , 2700-2800 FPS with RL17 on a 26” 1:9 bartlein HV. Then I don’t have to worry about intermediate or LA actions.
I was thinking about doing the same thing (.284 Win) a few months back. Wanted something more potent than 7-08, but didn’t want to jump to a magnum or short mag.

Check out the 7mm SAW from West Texas Ordinance. I just finished load development with 151gr PVA Cayugas. Running 43.5gr Varget at 2.935” and getting ~2760fps out of a 20”, 1:8 twist barrel.

With a 26” barrel, I would imagine you could hit 2800fps with the 162 ELD-X without hotrodding it too much. Probably more.

You get 7-08 AI speed, without the hassle of fire forming.