• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

284 Win/AT-X

trident512789

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2021
here
I am thinking of doing a barrel for F-class in 284 Win. Wanted a couple of confirmations
284 Win is Short Action + 308 Bolt Face Compatible? Since F-class is single load, not worried about mag length. But its also an ATX so gotta keep same bolt.

Is there a range of bullets/powders? 170 and 180s appear to be leading contenders but a quick search of the Hodgdon Manual kinda peters out at the top end. Several angry pets are guarding the reloading room, so I haven't hit the berger/hornady book just yet. Have lots of RL-26/H1000/IMR4831.

Not really interested in the Shehane, the gents on the line seem to have a lot of fuss with it.

Yer not gonna find the load data you seek in a manual. As you prolly know most guys running 30" or 32" barrels throated for Berger 180, 184 or 190. Rl23 would be my choice or N560 with H4831sc being good also. Accurate Shooter forum would be where I'd go to search data.

Thanks--did some more digging and there is an unpinned load thread here (very old, off the first search page).

I could build a purpose built rifle, but the allure of just getting a new barrel is too much--I'm a casual shooter, but I love to tinker (any excuse to get a new barrel). Any issues forseen with the longer barrel on the AT-X? I hadn't thought about it before, but am well aware that long heavy barrels are favored and have read that some people favor beefier actions, my guess is the AT-X is fine,but never hurts to ask.

Reactions: Raufoss