• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.284 win help

anthonylapoint

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
central CT
Hey everyone, just need a little help if you don't mind. I'm building a .284 on a remington LONG action with pac nor 1/9 twist 24" barrel.

my questions:
1)I want to shoot 180 smk and 162 amax rounds. Primarily the 180's. should I cut throat for 180's cause they're longer?

2)Is .284 win brass okay from Winchester or do you just recommend ordering 6.5-284 and necking up? I can't afford Lapua brass right now, any other choices?

3)on a long action single feeding mostly (Bdl bottom metal) what OAL length should I go with to maximize the .284 potential?

4) anyone have load data. I'm looking for 2850 if possible. No faster as I'm not a speed freak and I would like better life out of all my brass and shit

5) lastly, more curious I guess. Anyone shoot the jlk's or matrix bullets? Is their listed bc a bunch of bullshit? Matrix claims .8 for their 190 vld's.

Thank you for all your help.

1. You'll want ~.200" free bore. .188" is a common reamer, as is .220". Either will do you just fine. In fact, the reamer Grizzly.com carries would be a good choice.

2. Winny brass is fine, particularly with culling/sorting/prep - but it isn't made often, and currently costs almost as much as Lapua. Norma and Hornady also make 6.5-284 brass, but again, its as much as Lapua.

3. COAL will be dictated by freebore and what shoots well.

4. Check out the "284 win loads" thread in the reloading depot. ~54gr H4831sc or ~51gr H4350 and a 180 is common.

5. Can't help you on the boutique bullets.

I don't have as much knowledge on the subject as turbo does, ill just tell you my load with the 180 berger/180smk is lapua brass and 51.5gr reloader 17 and i am getting 2860. Of course, i live in Arkansas, so the heat and my 28" barrel help my velocity a little. Love my 284

5) The BC on the JLK is listed around 0.66G1 according to Litz. The BC that JLK publishes is the "static" one and it's off by about 15% (too high)

Same with the matrix. The Matrix has a HUGE meplat and the BC is in the 0.69's IIRC, if you tipped up that bullet it would be well into the 0.7's but again, they publish the statically calculated BC and they're pretty generous in that assumption.

1. You'll want ~.200" free bore. .188" is a common reamer, as is .220"

Thanks Turbo54. Ill have to talk with the gunsmith when that time comes. I'm not looking to turn my necks but want a pretty tight chamber. I don't check for neck thickness and perfection, I just load and shoot. Which, in this case, would you go with? If I'm just going to get it cut once and be done, how would I know what shoots well?

I have looked at that reloading page a few times. Good info so maybe ill have to go back and go through it again

Thanks turbo

Last edited:
How did some of you who run a long action come up with a coal if you had your chamber cut and didn't have restrictions as far as mag length?

Last time I switched barrels, my gunsmith just had me load some rounds and that's what he cut it to.

1) Yes.
2) Get a 7mm mandrel and neck-up Lapua brass.
3) You will have lots of room to find it with a long action.
4) Try 52.0 RE17 and/or 55.0 4831SC.
5) I shoot JLK 180's exclusively in mine: An honest .735BC when using FFS. JLK's BCs are accurate. Order early and be prepared to wait, but they do hammer.

284 Win help

I'll chime in with my two cents.

Winchester brass. SAAMI minimum chamber throated to load Berger 180 Hybrids to 3.2" OAL.

Match-prep the brass. Weigh, trim, flash hole, etc...

56.3 gr of H4831SC.

Here are the results:

284Win group.jpg

There are two key points in determining cartridge length:

Magazine length, and relationship between the case neck and the bullet.

In general, you want to seat bullets so only the boat tail extends down past the bottom of the neck. Meanwhile, you want enough engagement of the bullet into the case neck that it is secure, which is usually ~1 bullet diameter.

Therefore, cartridges with long necks like the 6mm Remington are really versatile and many lengths will work. Cartridges with short necks like the 284win aren't.

There are many exceptions... I run a short action 284, so COAL is limited to 2.950", meaning I seat bullets very deep, which isn't ideal.

Tradeoffs abound.

Anyway, I suggest you get a reamer with anywhere between .188" and .220" free bore, with a 1°-30' leade angle, with at least a .317" neck.

It'll work.

Trigger, is 3.2 what you had the throat cut for? How did you come up with that length?

I loaded up three dummy rounds of the desired length and sent that to my gunsmith when he was doing the chambering. He measures off that to cut the throat and leade to fit the desired bullet at the correct seating depth.

The funny part of the story is that I approximated a 3.1" length, and sent that to my gunsmith. But he used his 35+ years of experience and said I needed to go with a 3.2". I listen to my gunsmith.

Cheers!

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the advice. I will let this marinade in my head for awhile. When the time comes, ill talk with my smith and pass on what you all have told me. I'm sure he will tweak it all to fit my needs