• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.284 win in a Short Action

tsonda

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Central Texas
I know I would need a long action to successfully shoot the 180's of a .284. But what about the 160's. Will they work out of a standard short action with the .284? Just thinking of another barrel for my Impact action (without going to a Mag bolt).

I'd look into the 7mmSAW over the .284 if running a short action. You can run the 180s at a respectable pace out of the SAW as well, without having OAL concerns.

Reactions: b6graham
284 win would definitely push the outer limits of coal for a short action. You could likely make it work, I've heard of it being done though. It seems the the original Ultralight rifles were short action chambered in 284 win.

I've read this article a couple of times on the 284 in short action. I believe I want a 7saw over 284 but the 284 can work. It's a good article with a lot of relevant to info. WTO is local to me and with brass and dies available it seems easier not to fight with overall length.

284 runs just fine in a short action unless you have to use a magazine or pull a live round. My panda is a short action, obviously no magazine but have to pull the bolt to pull a live round. Honestly pulling the bolt is easy and rarely have to pull a live round.

I picked up a ULA 284 that I am about to start loading for. Internal mag length is supposed to be 3.0 inches so I have a little more room. I am hoping to be able to shoot the 168 vlds but from my research, it looks like a long action would be way better. I may end up shooting 140-160 regular accubonds if the bergers wont work.

Reactions: Shrimptempura
I have a 284 on a mag fed, long action. I would highly discourage anyone from building one on a mag fed, short action. I think one would be much better off with a 7SLR, aghem...I mean a 7SAW (my mistake).
Definitely agree, no way to seat long for weight bullets out to the lands in a short action mag.

WTO and clayton are awesome to work with

My 7SAW shoots 162 eldms at 2824 and 180 eldms at 2748. 42.4gr varget for both. Mag length or shorter with the .150 FB reamer

Flatter and less wind than a 6.5. Massive energy increase and minimal recoil increase

Reactions: long range sponge
I have a 284 on a mag fed, long action. I would highly discourage anyone from building one on a mag fed, short action. I think one would be much better off with a 7SLR, aghem...I mean a 7SAW (my mistake).
I forgot to ask about this, how comparable would the brass dimensions of a 7mmSAW be to what a 7mm SLR would be? I haven't found any details on the 7mm SLR on ye olde interwebs

I don't think a 7SLR is a thing. The SAW looks like someone took the 6 and 6.5SLR design and simplicity to the 7-08. Same idea. Longer neck and a 30*shoulder
I followed this up and had a mate take a pic of one of my rounds with one of his 6.5SLR rounds. It’s pretty much as you said. The 7mm SAW case is a virgin case, my fired cases have a sharper shoulder edge.

6.5SLR, 260 Rem, 7mm SAW

Reactions: reubenski