• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

284 WIN in SA?

Overflow10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2009
Rancho Murieta, CA
I am putting together a 7mm build. 20% target/80% hunting (deer, pig, and maybe elk but most likely not). Have been looking at 7mm-08 and 284 WIN. I would like to use a SA and know the 7mm-08 will fit but would be nice to have a bit more room for powder.... The 284 would seem to fit except the longer, higher BC bullters that need to be loaded out longer.

Q1: would using a SA matter if using a BDL?
Q2: if I wanted to convert the 284 to using a DBM could the Seekins work (it loads out to 3.1')?

TIA

Re: 284 WIN in SA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about a wsm?
......People don't often run 6.5-284s in a short action because they can't run the long bullets in them, the 7mm bullets with good BCs are longer than the 6.5s.

</div></div>

Thanks for the links VjjR. I had already poured through the 7mm cartridge guide a number of times but there is really not much info on which actions they were using.

The limitation in terms of action seems to have been the 2.90 OAL length to feed out of a DBM. But is this the limit when using BDL? Or is the issue diffused a bit with the 3.14 length by using a Seekins DBM??

The tactical hunter article was very useful - that is essentially what I am looking to do - probably going to use the 162/168 as a max bullet size.

I don't have any experience with the Seekins DBM but the ejection port on my Savage is 3.2"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Overflow10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am putting together a 7mm build. 20% target/80% hunting (deer, pig, and maybe elk but most likely not). Have been looking at 7mm-08 and 284 WIN. I would like to use a SA and know the 7mm-08 will fit but would be nice to have a bit more room for powder.... The 284 would seem to fit except the longer, higher BC bullters that need to be loaded out longer.

Q1: would using a SA matter if using a BDL?
Q2: if I wanted to convert the 284 to using a DBM could the Seekins work (it loads out to 3.1')?

TIA </div></div>
+1,I too would love to hear some opinions,i currently have all the parts but i just can't decide,i am limited to AI or alpha mags as i don't really want to modify my action(surgeon591).