• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

284 Win or 7SAUM build on long action

Nitrosteel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2018
GA
Wanting to build a rifle in one of the above chamberings for hunting. Looking to build a rifle that comes in under 9 lbs and I think I’ve got most of this figured out:

Know:
Manners EH1
Remington 700 LA

I know can get more speed with several other LA chambering - but I don’t want anymore speed/recoil than it will take to get the desired result below.

Planning:
180 Berger VLD Hunting
Temp stable powder (like H4831sc)
Peterson brass if 284 Win
ADC brass if 7 SAUM
24-26” 3B Bartlein 1/8 twist

Want:
1). Fairly certain at least 2820 muzzle velocity without moving to a non-temp stable powder or having to move to a longer barrel. Trying to accomplish a solid 1300 ft pounds of energy at 900 yards (I can only get this at 500 yards with my 7mm-08 (which I love...).

I’d rather go with the 284 win if it will do it. It sounds like barrel life is better, round feeding will be easier/better, very inherently accurate round, good (in stock) brass choice, etc...

Can I be fairly certain that I can get this speed with this short of a barrel out of a straight 284 win using a temp stable powder (not sure Reloader 17 fits the bill, but I know it produces more speed)? Or will have to move to the 7SAUM to get it done? I don’t have access to quick load, and would really appreciate your input.

If the 284 will do it - how much barrel do I need? Also, same if I have to resort to the 7SAUM (I assume using H1000) - how much barrel would it require?

Thank you for your input.

Just FYI - this rifle will be shot quite a bit, not just for hunting. Barrel life will be important.

I would do a 284 and use Lapua 6.5x284 brass . I'd also skip the VLDs and go straight to the 180 Hybrids . Between my family and myself we've stomped a train load of game up to and including elk with them . The Hybrids are just more forgiving in every respect, load development and killing ability.

Reactions: xsn10s
Any idea on the velocity I should expect to get out of a long action / shorter barrel 284?

26” .284 WIN. Middle of the road charge with 4831SC.

Attachments

• AA004CF9-3396-451F-97B8-523FDEB4B553.png
    AA004CF9-3396-451F-97B8-523FDEB4B553.png
    279 KB · Views: 361
No problem. If it makes any difference, it’s a 9t Bartlein spun up by Moon on a defiance. FGMM LR primers and Winchester brass. It is the most consistent rifle I own. I don’t shoot it much anymore, but when I go on a hunting trip it’s all I take.

McNamara,

What brass are you using? Also just curious - are you hunting with the hybrids?

McNamara,

What brass are you using? Also just curious - are you hunting with the hybrids?

The Winchester brass is good enough for me, but used to be a little scarce new. I have 500 pieces and I don’t plan on switching to Lapua anytime soon. As far as hunting with hybrids goes, I am just a predator hunter. When I go coyote hunting in Oklahoma I have the opportunity to shoot dogs as far as I can see them on the backside of a mountain range, hence the .284 as a predator rig. I have taken them as far as 790y, but have watched packs coming in from better than a mile. So, yes the hybrid works great for me. Other than family guns, my .284 is my only gun that couldn’t be bought, within reason.

You don’t mention whether you have an action or not but the bolt faces are different for these two rounds. That said, I’ve got a rifle chambered in .284 with a 28” 8 twist barrel that puts 180s out at 2830 fps using 4831SC with very little recoil using a LB brake. A 26” barrel might not get that much velocity but I would think that 2800 fps, or there abouts, would be a reasonable expectation for a .284 with 180s. While you’ll get more velocity with a SAUM, recoil will increase and barrel life will not be as good.

My go to hunting rifle is a .284 Win. with a 26 inch tube. Loaded long in good brass and the round sizzles. I am using Norma brass that was a special run for bullets.com.

Found this, pretty hot loads if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• 95BD9302-20CA-4329-BB9C-183F2D84C522.png
    95BD9302-20CA-4329-BB9C-183F2D84C522.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 249
I love my 7SAUM. 195gr Berger hunting, H1000, 28 inch proof carbon barrel. COAL: 3.203. EH-1 stock. Kicks like a mule but shoots great. Shoots about .3 or so MOA. My elk gun

Barrel life with the SAUM will be short and brass is expensive and hard to find. I think 2820 will be hard to achieve in the .284 without trashing the brass. I think you could come close with RL17 but it is temp sensitive.
I shoot a .284 in LRBR, I can push my brass to 2860 through a 30” barrel but the primer pockets won’t last long (Norma brass)I found a nice node at 2824.
You may want to look at the Shahane, from what I understand it’s easy to fire form and easy on brass. Using a temp stable powder like H4831 I think you could come close to you’re desired MV
I would echo the comment about the hybrids being easy to tune but I can’t comment on how well they do on game. Good luck. E