• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

284 Winchester

Highbrass

Pew Tang Clan
Minuteman
I have always been a fan of the 7mm-08 and it is still a favorite. The one I currently have is extremely accurate. The issue is that it just lacks that last little bit of performance. It seems to almost be enough but wants just a lil bit more. I like the 162 & 175 ELDs but the MV is just a bit slow.
So I jumped off the wagon and going the route of 284 Win.
I see it still has some life with the bench shooters but parts and.pieces seem scarce..
So who is still shooting the 284? Who has some spicy recipies? Any thing to avoid ?

It's a frickin laser beam with my 30" barrel. Peterson brass has been great. Rl26 is great but my load is with RL16 as it was easier to find at the time. Not sure what I'll try next as 16 has been difficult to procure and way to expensive. Getting 2900 fps with 180gr eld. I'll try to check my notes tomorrow morning for any relevant information

The reloading manuals seem very conservative and the loads look pretty pedestrian. Then, most handloaders tell of much hotter results. I wonder if the top pressures are a bit pinched for the older guns ?

I have always been a fan of the 7mm-08 and it is still a favorite. The one I currently have is extremely accurate. The issue is that it just lacks that last little bit of performance. It seems to almost be enough but wants just a lil bit more. I like the 162 & 175 ELDs but the MV is just a bit slow.
So I jumped off the wagon and going the route of 284 Win.
I see it still has some life with the bench shooters but parts and.pieces seem scarce..
So who is still shooting the 284? Who has some spicy recipies? Any thing to avoid ?
What fps velocity increase do you seek?

Nothing crazy. My 7-08 tops out around 2700 with 162 ELDs & Varget I might like to get 2800+
You could knock on that door with the 708AI. Use existing brass instead of trying to source a hard to get brass.
Neck turning might be required, but still better than trying to find 284 brass.

I am a F-open High Master shooter, and my 7mm load is berger 180’s with 50.6 grains of H4350 with a 30” barrel and they just hammer the x ring at 1000 yards.

Reactions: Highbrass
I have procured a supply of Lapua 284 brass, about 150 pcs.
I did look at doing the AI on the 7-08 and will probably get a barrel. I was unable to find anyone with a reamer for it. I may just purchase a reamer for the guy who turns my barrels.

Alex Wheeler has a 7mm-08 Ackley reamer. www.wheeleraccuracy.com

I have a barrel done by him, haven't been able to stretch it's legs yet but early in the load development I could push a 180 Berger @ 2820 with 45gr of N550 before heavy bolt lift Barrel has sped up some now and hurls a 180 Berger HT at 2800fps with 44.6gr of N550.
I have a thing for the AI chambers (maybe I just don't like trimming brass?) and have several. I'm even considering a 7 FCP because it's basically a 7-6.5PRC with a 40 degree shoulder.

Let us know how the 284 Win adventure goes...I'm considering that one as well.

I was able to come up with a 708AI reamer and go gauge. I have a new barrel in 708 that I am planning to make an AI.
I am still in load development on the 284 Win. It has been moving kinda slowly as I have had to work a bunch of weekends lately. I haven't pushed it very hard yet.
That 7FCP looks like a killer!

I've got a couple 7-08 improved barrels for an F Class Panda that I shot 1000 & 600 yard BR with.
I shot the 180 & 184 Bergers with H4350 & R16 and had some success placing in matches. Mostly ran it at 2700 where the accuracy was best for me.

6.5 Stabal worked very well in testing with some added velocity but I never got around to shooting it in a match. It could run up to just over 2800 on it

The reloading manuals seem very conservative and the loads look pretty pedestrian. Then, most handloaders tell of much hotter results. I wonder if the top pressures are a bit pinched for the older guns ?
Strictly conjecture on my part. .257 Roberts rounds are set at the pressures that an 1893 Mauser can handle. Why?

So, the .284 pressures (as well as the 6.5x284) are set for the ability of the Winchester Model 100 and Model 88 can handle.

Again, this is my guess on all three rounds. Now, I can understand using those pressure levels for the .284 but why the 6.5x284, Understandable for the 7mm Mauser but why the .257 Roberts and NOT the 6mm Remington? It’s a crazy world.

That's mostly to due with the old .284 win chamber with the shorter throat vs the newer current .284 win chamber with the longer throat to accommodate heavy bullets I think.

Last edited:
I was able to come up with a 708AI reamer and go gauge. I have a new barrel in 708 that I am planning to make an AI.
I am still in load development on the 284 Win. It has been moving kinda slowly as I have had to work a bunch of weekends lately. I haven't pushed it very hard yet.
That 7FCP looks like a killer!
Shit, I have both sitting around. JGS reamer and Forster go, no-go. What reamer you go with? Here's mine:
Screenshot 2024-01-12 111411.png

I tried the usual powders recommended for 284 and 168 ABLRs, H4831SC and RL23. They ran slower than I hoped or weren't very accurate, so I ended up with H4350. I'm getting 2850 fps out of a 24" barrel and great accuracy, and have taken three elk with it.

Reactions: FredHammer
I tried the usual powders recommended for 284 and 168 ABLRs, H4831SC and RL23. They ran slower than I hoped or weren't very accurate, so I ended up with H4350. I'm getting 2850 fps out of a 24" barrel and great accuracy, and have taken three elk with it.
Interesting.. I found that the ABLRs were VERY sensitive and took more powder than I thought was needed to get them going a reasonable speed. I actually gave up on them and moved on. I seem to have much better luck with Hornady and Berger bullets. I have other calibers that use Nosler but gonna pass on the 284