• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

285gr 338 Lapua Data?

Vance338

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
North Carolina
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to work up a new load for my 338 Lapua using New Hornady brass, 285gr Hornady ELD-M projectiles and cci large magnum rifle primers, but I’m limited on my powder choice and there doesn’t seem to be much data listed for 285gr or any of the powder that I have on hand. I have imr 7828ssc, Us869, Ramshot magnum and ramshot LRT and imr 4831. Has anyone worked up a load using any of these powder or any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

I’m looking to see if anyone has any 7828 data.

Ramshot LRT is a tad slow for .338LM. I've used it in a .338LM Improved 40 with 300gr bullets, but even then N570 and R33 had more optimized burn rates. Also, US 869 is way too slow for .338LM.

I ran your powders through Quickload to get ballpark numbers for you:

1626367117350.png

IMR 7828SSC is a tad fast, but you could still get decent velocity. You should start seeing pressure >91gr

1626367377425.png

Ramshot Magnum is similar, with pressure probably showing up > 87gr

1626367473262.png

IMR 4831 is a bit too fast

Reactions: buggz
Wow, that Quickload app looks cool.
I will have to check it out.

I really appreciate your time and advice! I actually ran across some RL-33 and H1000 today so I’ll be able to get some good data on those powders.

Did you get an accurate load with the 285 Hornady?

I have not been able to. However, I also noticed a very strong weight variation with the bullets (variation spread in my box 1.3 grs.)

I was able to find some reloader 33 a few days after my original post, So I ended up loading the the 285 gr Hornadys with 92 grains of reloader 33 with federal large magnum rifle primers and a C.O.L of 3.665 The load was good enough that I was making consistent hits on the 1760yd target.

But if your looking for a really good bullet try the 300gr Berger Hybrid OTM tactical. I know they are almost twice the price but they shoot very well.

Awesome Thanks, I’ll give it a try. We’ve actually been shooting at Coleman’s creek a lot here recently. I just came across a 8 pound jug of reloader 26 lastnight so I’ll probably be loading with it for a while.