• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .298/.308 vs .300/.308 bore

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OVER....
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
BF East Texas
If a .300/.308 barrel bore is standard bore...
Is a .298/.308 5r barrel considered a tight bore?
This is for a 31" barrel for an FTR build.
wondering if I should use this .298/.308 barrel.

Joe

Re: .298/.308 vs .300/.308 bore

Joe the .298" is considered a tight bore. Recently some barrel makers have been fiddling with .297/.307 also.

It's been my experience that it doesn't make a difference. I use international palma as my knowledge base.

Used to be everyone ran the .298". Recently the std bore size has come back into play. Groups are the same as are X counts.

So long as the barrel is chambered well and all the ducks are covered and aligned I think you'll be fine.

Good luck and hope this helps.

C.

Chad thanks for the comforting reply.
I guess my concern is chamber presure as I am planning to try running 208amax through this and am flirting at the edge of pressure now with a 24" barrel.

The tight bores wont shoot any better than the standard bores but for the Palma shooter using 155's the tight bore will give more velocity, for the heavy bullets most guy's go with the standard bore to avoid overpressure problems

Actually the tight bore in palma was an attempt to improve accuracy during the world chapionships in past years. In international fullbore the host country provides the ammunition during the team event.

During individuals handloads are allowed provided the chambers meet host country dimensions. Gauges are used to check.

2003 it was in Bisley, England. Radway green was the ammo which is horrible stuff. Scores went up a pinch with a tight bore during practice. So decisions were made to switch everyone to it.

As a result the masses think a tight barrel is needed in order to do well.

Several std bore palma rifles have left my shop that shoot exceptionally well. Velocity is just fine also.

Hope this helps.

C.