• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2k outta the box best bet

paulL01

Didicoy Muggle
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
Blue Ridge Mtns
I am looking at
Bergara Ridgeback
Tikka T3X Tac1 LE
Seekins Havak Bravo
All in .308
Open to other suggestions.
As of now, I'm really leaning towards the Tikka

• Love
Reactions: Sidewinder66
Love the tikka. Probably my first choice only because I think out of the box it’s a better chassis than the bravo of the seekins. Long run tho when you decide to change stuff I believe the seekins is r700 pattern so more options on that one.

Thanx guys.
I won't be changing anything though.
I just want a real witch outta the box.
I understand that Tikka action is super smooth too.....

get the tikka. I think people underestimate what you are getting for a $10 trigger spring (only change really needed, not sure on the 2 stage TAC?)

Good:
Great smooth action
Good single stage trigger (aftermarket available)
Prefit Barrels w/ shoulder from almost everyone
Chassis Options (CTR Mag or AICS)
Aftermarket Bolts (LRI needs to hurry up with 223 bolt)
Great resell for almost any part you take off or upgrade

Bad:
Slow factory barrel (but shoot great)
Slightly less chassis than the 700 footprint

One real advantage for those on a budget is the ability to shot what you got and slowly upgrade deals at $600 a time. Toss on the sterk stuff (150-300), toss on a barrel (600-700), toss on a chassis (400-1200)....

get the tikka. I think people underestimate what you are getting for a $10 trigger spring (only change really needed, not sure on the 2 stage TAC?)

Good:
Great smooth action

Bad:

One real advantage for those on a budget is the ability to shot what you got and slowly upgrade deals at $600 a time. Toss on the sterk stuff (150-300), toss on a barrel (600-700), toss on a chassis (400-1200)....
So, like a Tikka T3 UPR with the single stage trigger?
I really like that model too....

I think I really like the Tikka UPR the best
Much more affordable too....
Scratch that, I think....seems like people say the barrel is much thinner?

Last edited:
For all around use the tikka Ctr is hard to beat. For purpose use for comps go in the 2000-2500 range and get a purpose built production class gun.

there are many options there that will all do well:
GAP is a good start of you want manners stock
MDT has one as well
ARC if you want the ARC chassis
Not sure if ACC has one or not.
Also the Snipers Hide APO rifle is a good deal but maybe not production class legal?

Seekins or one of the semi custom like Badrock is what I would buy.
Agreed on the Badrock. The young lady that I am helping out in PRS has just recently received a Badrock Southfork rifle to compete with this year and I must say I am very impressed with it. The action is very similar to the Defiance action I am used to, but uses a controlled round feed and mechanical ejector. It is one of the smoothest cycling actions I have ever felt, you can't feel if feed a round most of the time. At $2k this is pretty hard to beat.

Reactions: paulL01
I'd go with the Havak Bravo, Seekins' reputation is pretty good and the Bravo is still a current and upgradable chassis that has some viable resale if you were to go to something else. The Tikka is kind of a no brainer, but its chassis is starting to show its age, and I'd actually avoid any of those rifles where their chassis are headed toward obsolescence like with the LSS on the Badrock etc.

As has been mentioned, things get more interesting at the $2500 mark (MPA Production Pro, ARC Nucleus Rifle comes with a TT Diamond, GAP Pinnacle, etc).

This if you can swing it. My max for rifle was 1200 so went tikka CTR with bravo and have been updating yearly with bonus money.

that GAP production rifle if it came in 6.5 would make me sell the lot and start over!

and have been updating yearly with bonus money.
1614132683831.gif

You should sell at least one kid per year to finance your hobby.

Had two Tikka’s. Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor and CTR in .308. Absolutely great rifles out of the box. Only sold them to go custom.

Had two Tikka’s. Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor and CTR in .308. Absolutely great rifles out of the box. Only sold them to go custom.

Any practical difference between the two from your perspective? Im sort of in the same boat as OP, and basically had the choices narrowed down to the Tac A1 vs CTR... I cant stand the CTR stock, so have to factor a new stock into the budget.

For me the greatest difference was the stock vs. chassis to include weight. Actions both extremely smooth. Very accurate right out of the box.

Not interested in this one?

I wouldn't be ordering any custom rifle that wasn't in stock if I wanted to shoot it this year.

Christiensen arms is another option.

A ton of good advice here and, I really appreciate it guys!
But, I've decided to go a totally different way.
Got to thinking about the $2,500 mark yall were talkin about. So, I already have a new Old Stock FN PBR XP 300WSM & a new McMillan A5 already inlet for the Win 70/SPR. So, I thought why not just send that baby to Mark at Short Action Customs? So, I've already talked with Sarah at SAC, and I'm really excited about what they're gonna do.
Thanx again for all the help fellas. It got me to really thinking on what would be the best way to go.

Don’t know the others first hand, but I LOVE my Tikka. I mean, it’s sad, but I think I need counseling. I have feelings for a piece of steel.

I have built dozens or rifles, but only bought one new factor rifle, a Kimber 84L 280AI.
It is cheaper and lighter than my builds and comparably accurate.

Attachments

• Kimber 84L 280AI 8lb 5oz 20180911_101147.jpg
    Kimber 84L 280AI 8lb 5oz 20180911_101147.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 21
I now nothing about this company, but this might be a better investment, add a high quality chassis in the 800-1000 dollar range and you come in right at your budget with a superior rifle.

I now nothing about this company, but this might be a better investment, add a high quality chassis in the 800-1000 dollar range and you come in right at your budget with a superior rifle.

Pre-sale = You don't know when you'll ever get it

I have a TacA1. I moved it into a Bravo and sold the chassis. I've considered going custom but it's hard to justify considering how well the Tikka shoots and how smooth the action is. I didn't get a new spring and still got it down to under 1.75 lbs. total trigger weight. It's not a Huber or TT Diamond Two stage but it's still an extremely good trigger and I wouldn't spend the money to trade.

I vote Tikka or full custom.

I will vote Bergara. I have many, LRP Elite, Highlander, HMR, and Ridge SP. The only gripe I can come up with is my $800 Ridge SP shoots as well as my $2k LRP. All of them will do a 1/2 MOA or better if I’m doing my part. Plus they are 700 footprint if you ever do decide to change something up later.

Good:
Great smooth action

Bad:

Another con to Tikkas are the bolt stop pin that can break at the worst time, like a competition.
Gotta have a back up pin and spring on you... Plus bolt stop in case you lose it.

I know you moved on to the FN but maybe someone else will learn from this post.

I am looking at
Bergara Ridgeback
Tikka T3X Tac1 LE
Seekins Havak Bravo
All in .308
I loved my Tikka, SAKO makes some extremely nice long distance rifles. I had mine for 22 year's in .300 WIN MAG, if I'd not be disabled due to many serious back issues I'd have kept it and be using it yet today. Had a Burris 3 x 9 x 40 red dot matched to the .300 WM and Rifle, had 3 1000 yard Mickey mouse's in those 22 year's, spread out evenly, it never lost it's accuracy. I think you would love this rifle, all depends on what your intentions are for it's use?

I have a TacA1. I moved it into a Bravo and sold the chassis. I've considered going custom but it's hard to justify considering how well the Tikka shoots and how smooth the action is. I didn't get a new spring and still got it down to under 1.75 lbs. total trigger weight. It's not a Huber or TT Diamond Two stage but it's still an extremely good trigger and I wouldn't spend the money to trade.

I vote Tikka or full custom.

Thoughts on the Bravo vs the Tac A1 Chassis? Im cross shopping the Tac A1 vs a CTR w/ KRG Bravo currently.... Im not totally sold on the Bravo, and would probably just save for something like a Manners instead, but I really dont feel like waiting for one lol. Is the KRG that much of an improvement over the Tac A1 Chassis?

Thoughts on the Bravo vs the Tac A1 Chassis? Im cross shopping the Tac A1 vs a CTR w/ KRG Bravo currently.... Im not totally sold on the Bravo, and would probably just save for something like a Manners instead, but I really dont feel like waiting for one lol. Is the KRG that much of an improvement over the Tac A1 Chassis?

I’ll chime in on your questions as I’ve used many chassis/stocks from KRG/Manners/McMillan/AI etc etc.

The chassis are an excellent design. I haven’t used the Tikka chassis but have used mdt/Cadex/AI/XLR and many others.

The KRG I owned was the Xray. I can say that the ergonomics on the krg are one of the best on the market. The Xray I had attached to the action with a plate (much like an AI does without the glue) then the polymer skins/stock attach to that

The KRG is very well thought out and one of the most comfortable options out there when it comes to a design that resembles a stock more so than a aluminum chassis

If you had the chance to lay behind both you would choose which fits you better and would likely shoot better with that option. Neither imho would be more accurate than the other, it would come down to shooters preference on the comfort when laying behind either

From my experience the KRG felt better than the McMillan or manners when laying behind them. The krg however did have some flex compared to the chassis if that bothers you. Noticed in forend when using bipod mainly

KRG Xray on GAP 300 WM
42A1BBEA-E015-4815-B795-69781BF24FD4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Spydey225
I am looking at
Bergara Ridgeback
Tikka T3X Tac1 LE
Seekins Havak Bravo
All in .308
I own a tikka in 223,heavy varmint,I hold dime size groups at a hundred yards....yo dave trigger spring,vortex scope. And hand loading my own ammo. Straight out of the box!!

Yes, the Bravo is better than the Tac A1 chassis, more comfortable and more options... IMHO a CTR + Bravo > Tac A1 (cheaper too).
Really, IMO the Bravo is better than most at any price unless you’re willing to drop $1500 on an MDT ACC + weights or can score a Manners TCS (really the only Manners worth bothering with now, still not sure it does anything better than a Bravo though).

Reactions: Spydey225