• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 2nd focal plane calibrated reticle mil-dot / NP-R2

michael_aos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Say I have a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T M2 2.5-8x36mm with the TMR reticle. P/N 60180.

At an indicated 8x setting, there are dots every 1/2 mil, and hashes every mil. If I move it to an indicated 4x, are the dots now every 1-mil, and hashes every 2-mil?

Or if I had a Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm with the NP-R2 reticle. At the 15x setting, there are hashes every 2-MOA. If I set it around 7.5x, are the hashes now every 4-MOA?

Or does it go the other way? Or is it non-linear?

Mke

Re: 2nd focal plane calibrated reticle mil-dot / NP-R2

Correct, though the exact power that will double the mil spacing needs to be verified. I have an 8.5-25x where the "double point" is near the 15x mark on the power ring. I will usually confirm the location and mark it somehow.

I agree.
Also, you can use a mil reticle as MOA or an MOA reticle as mil using this method.

A.

In theory you are right, half the X, tvice the with cowered by the reticle.

B. The question where is this on your scope, can you reliably come back to that X again?

C. Conclusion, get a 1 meter long stick, have it marked of every 10 cm/about 3.93 inches, set it out at 100 meter, that is your stick x 100,

and get to calibrating/verifying that scope.

I have the very same interesting task at hand with a Mark 4, 6,5-20 that I just got from a member here,

I need to know where I have the halftime values as well, ie where that is on the X-ring.

Take care use a safe measuring stick.

Best regards Chris