• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2nd Opinion (ELR Build)

trident512789

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2021
here
New to ELR--was asking around on ELR HQ and got a lot of advice to "Just build a 338 Lapua" (as opposed to bringing an existing 30 cal mag).

Never heard anyone give advice to buy gear before a match? Little worried about what I am getting into as I have 0 clue how to build a Lapua size rifle, whereas for a "standard" rifle I can put together something rather nice. Only a few actions even come with the proper bolt face.

If I need to build one, is there a "glock 19" action of the ELR world?

I'm assuming you are planning on shooting light class? What 30 Cal cartridge do you have now?

300 Win Mag (yes light class)
220 SMK @2800 fps

How far out will you be shooting at the match?

I know someone with a 300 win mag that came in like 2nd or 3rd at an ELR match. If you're squared away and shoot well with your current setup, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it, assuming you don't have a super thin contour hunting barrel.
If you have a nice medium or heavy barrel, I would recommend making sure you have lots of elevation in your optic, and maybe cant the optic enough to run a 1000 yard zero so you aren't running out of elevation and you can stay away from the edge of the glass at the furthest distances out.
These matches are so much fun, so don't hesitate to compete, and you'll pick it up as you go.

Scott

• Love
Reactions: sinister
I call BS on "just build a .338 Lapua". .338 Lapua is more recoil for no trajectory gain over .30 cal magnums.

A .300 PRC or properly throated .300 WM will do anything that a .338 Lapua will. Lots of .30 cal bullets in the 215-250gr range that will equal or beat .338 Lapua. Run the numbers on your favorite solver with a 230gr A-tip for drop and supersonic range.

IMHO there are two classes that are worth pursuing.
1. .30 cal magnum with a 28-32" barrel
2. .375-.416 go stupid big

An ELR observation for the OP …
Take your WM and enter a ELR light class competition. Enjoy it and be prepared to learn alot about your current system, your abilities and equipment used by others. The definition of performance will be better defined at the match versus in a forum.

Do not go with a 1000 yd zero as menfioned above. Even in the heavy, we have 100 yd zeros (with zero height offsets calculated in ballistic software)…. Zero your WM at 100!

Make sure you have enough elevation in your scope to reach out beyond 2000 yds. Light division will have targets at exceedingly long distance targets for the caliber(s) represented.

338 is a great caliber … I cut my teeth with one for years. Love that caliber … guys are using them today. It’s an Avenue but there are options out there.

There are some damn good shooters in the ELR light division … some use copper bullets … some are using a jacketed bullet. Equipment in ELR is so specific to your desired performance that it isn’t easy to cross over from a “Stock” to a “Custom” given systems are built around the bullet your using and not a specific action.

Glock 19 action in ELR …. Maybe a BAT action, but there are a number of variants within the manufacturer. I believe it will be easier for you to make choices after you dive in… compete with your WM.

Time … commitment and financial commitment will be easier for you to decide upon after you witness the difference between a WM, 338, 300NM and a 33XC.
Best of luck….. the rabbit hole can be dug deep!

Chris Schmidt
Tennessee

First off when you say ELR what range are you going to compete at? I shoot a local match and the targets were at 1780,2200,2650 and 3085. I have shot this match with my .338LM and used a 29.8 mil NF Prism. IN low wind I did well. If your going with .338LM bolt face long action 33xc is hard to beat. If you looking for the Glock of actions it's going to be Stiller TAC 338.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Grab a Coupe De Grace, with the lapua bolt face and run a .300 norma. When you tire of that spin up a 37xc barrel on it as a single shot.

Thanks for the sanity check. Normally any time you start a match its "bring what you have"
I was planning to do KS (Spearpoint--especially as it has a Rookie Class) or SD this year. I have no idea what ranges they go to--Based on my research it will be some sort of KO1M style event.

I had posted earlier and was recommended to go to Safety1st ELR-HQ FB page, did so and asked bring 6.5 Creed or 300WM and that's when about half the responses were "Build a Lapua" It was very jarring because I just wanted to know which rifle to bring. I have a ton more XP with 6.5, but I know that ELR pushes the limits of what it is capable of. So biggest rifle I have is 300 WM. Done a lot of work with it, but never stretched its legs.

However nice it was for an excuse of a new rifle, it was a rough intro to ELR community.

Thanks for the sanity check. Normally any time you start a match its "bring what you have"
I was planning to do KS (Spearpoint--especially as it has a Rookie Class) or SD this year. I have no idea what ranges they go to--Based on my research it will be some sort of KO1M style event.

I had posted earlier and was recommended to go to Safety1st ELR-HQ FB page, did so and asked bring 6.5 Creed or 300WM and that's when about half the responses were "Build a Lapua" It was very jarring because I just wanted to know which rifle to bring. I have a ton more XP with 6.5, but I know that ELR pushes the limits of what it is capable of. So biggest rifle I have is 300 WM. Done a lot of work with it, but never stretched its legs.

However nice it was for an excuse of a new rifle, it was a rough intro to ELR community.
I saw that post everyone told you to bring the WM. A few did warn it wasn’t most capable round but enough to get ur feet wet.

I am also new to ELR (lite). My 300PRC build is about complete. It is based on the Rukus LA and 30" Bartlein.

I live in the Charleston SC area. I am not on Facebook. It seems like the only way to get location and dates for ELR events is through Facebook. Does anyone have recommendations for getting access to ELR calendars and any recommendations for an even close to Charleston SC?

I have facebook; not one post in over ten years. Just use it to check schedules like you’re talking about. I note all the idiot friend requests.

I am also new to ELR (lite). My 300PRC build is about complete. It is based on the Rukus LA and 30" Bartlein.

I live in the Charleston SC area. I am not on Facebook. It seems like the only way to get location and dates for ELR events is through Facebook. Does anyone have recommendations for getting access to ELR calendars and any recommendations for an even close to Charleston SC?
Facebook seems to be the best way. I hate it also but it seems to be what goes, it's even that way for a lot of other matches, hard to find out about with out just accidentally coming across it. Here is the current projected schedule from Safety first ELR
2024 ELR matches.jpg

I call BS on "just build a .338 Lapua". .338 Lapua is more recoil for no trajectory gain over .30 cal magnums.

A .300 PRC or properly throated .300 WM will do anything that a .338 Lapua will. Lots of .30 cal bullets in the 215-250gr range that will equal or beat .338 Lapua. Run the numbers on your favorite solver with a 230gr A-tip for drop and supersonic range.

IMHO there are two classes that are worth pursuing.
1. .30 cal magnum with a 28-32" barrel
2. .375-.416 go stupid big
I believe this is great advice - as long as you're going with factory style configurations. I've personally struggled to get to 1500 yards with 338 LM and switch to 243 AI and immediately get hits... I suspect that going to a 30-32" barrel and going 338 LM improved with a solid bullet in the 250-275 gr range would make all the different.

300 PRC/300 NM with 220-230 gr bullets do very well without breaking the bank and to start garnering necessary experience.

375-50 cal specifically for events like KO2M as you need to bigger bullets to be able to spot the misses.

The 338 XC and 338 Enabler look very promising out to 2 miles. Beyond that, who knows? The most interesting part is that we know the ballistics but that little boost of speed that shortens the time of flight makes a big difference the further we go.

Went to my first 3 ELR events this past year. Shot light division with my 300PRC 28"barrel, 230 A-Tips@2920. I don't feel I was out of place against the 338's . A friend of mine that I shoot with a bunch was shooting a 300wm with 30" barrel with 225ELDM. Wind was the big issue,as there (wide open terrain)wasn't much to help with wind reading other than mirage. Bigger issue was spotting misses as there wasn't any berms behind targets. That is where the 300gr bullets from the different 338's there had a slight advantage as they did tend to kick up more grass/dirt on misses.
I'm only 80 miles from TVP, so I'm use to shooting out to a mile on a regular basis for years. Easy to spot misses and make corrections there.

Went to my first 3 ELR events this past year. Shot light division with my 300PRC 28"barrel, 230 A-Tips@2920. I don't feel I was out of place against the 338's . A friend of mine that I shoot with a bunch was shooting a 300wm with 30" barrel with 225ELDM. Wind was the big issue,as there (wide open terrain)wasn't much to help with wind reading other than mirage. Bigger issue was spotting misses as there wasn't any berms behind targets. That is where the 300gr bullets from the different 338's there had a slight advantage as they did tend to kick up more grass/dirt on misses.
I'm only 80 miles from TVP, so I'm use to shooting out to a mile on a regular basis for years. Easy to spot misses and make corrections there.
Splash is the main advantage of the larger bullets ballistically there isn’t much.