• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

2nd range trip with the mosin, much better results

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
so i started on the 50 yard target, after 15-20 rounds, 1 hit, then moved to the 25, much better, went back to the 50 no problem hitting, even took some shots at the 100 hard steel target and had couple hits, here are some of the targets, explained the best i can. altogether shot about 30 rounds and had much more fun this time that i was hitting targets.

all shots i am aiming the pin on the bulls eye(at least i am pretty sure, guess next time i'll take notes, probably smart idea, i also had a small sandbag rest, that was placed where the hand indentions are before the barrel starts, all ammo is the cheapest stuff i could find(after couple more trips, and i get her really dialed in, i want to get some of the better ammo and try that out to see if i can tell a difference)

here's one 25 yard target, 1 3 shot group on bottom where tear is, and 2 3 shot groups to the right even had 2 in 1 hole

[img:left]
IMG_2251-1.jpg
[/img]

this is the best 3 shot group i think, again 25 yards

IMG_2250-1.jpg

and here is the 50 yard target, and you can see way right

IMG_2253-1.jpg

Re: 2nd range trip with the mosin, much better results

I usually put the top of the front sight post at the 6 O'Clock position myself.

Good work! Now you've got a base to work from. It just looks like the front sight needs to be drifted to the right about 3-4mm. Give that a try, then do it again. The elevation is probably okay, but I can see from your 50 yard target that your action is moving and the screws are probably loose. before you shoot it next time, tighten them down good. Do the front one first.

cool.gif

John

thanks for the info, i'll try moving the front site over, i'm going to try to get out again next week. as far as the action being loose, is that something that can happen after after say 20 rounds being fired, only reason i ask is i put the rifle back together right before i left for the range and got the screws as tight as i could get them before the screw driver would come out, like it does when it gets to tight. the screw driver fits the screw pretty darn good, but i'm going to head to lowes on tuesday with the screws to see if i can get one that fits better, but i don't think i will find one, the one i have does fit very nice, but it's worth a shot.

i heard something about torqing them to about 15 lbs, maybe i'll look for a torqer (i know that's not the correct term, scockets, screwdrivers, and hammers are about the extent of my tools knowledge, lol)

You will not find an action screw match in any hardware store. I think the only one making action screws are Rock Solid http://www.rocksolidind.com/ and any other part source.

Some MN were shimmed under the receiver, and some at the bottom of the stock. Someone prob removed them on your rifle.

sorry if if i was confusing, my wife says i'm very confusing. i have the scews themselves, i was refering to making sure i have the best possible screwdriver to match the screw. and that i heard torquing them to 15 lbs helps, so i was going to get the right tools to torque them to 15 lbs.

unless i am confusing myself, but there are only 3 screws right 1 for the trigger, 1 for the top right behind the bolt, and 1 towards the front of the magazine on the bottom, if this is correct i have all of them, if not can you please tell me which ones i am missing

If you have one that's a good fit, that should be fine. The screw on the sear, which is inside the rifle, shouldn't be an issue, so long as it's been tightened once. The front screw at the magazine housing and the tang screw are the ones you want to watch. It's still possible that they loosened a bit once you started shooting and the action settled. What I do, is to make sure they're tight before I start shooting, then check them again after the first group, or two. A majority of the time, I can tighten them just a little bit more after shooting the first group. I'm not sure of what torque settings to use and the stocks are always a variable, too. Then there's also the possibility that the screws are bottoming out, as well. That's where the shimming comes in (well, part of it, anyway). For now, I would just proceed as planned and see how it goes, before making any changes or getting into shimming. It may/may not need it.

John