• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2nd time out with a MK20 and I'm getting pierced primers every 2-3 rounds

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    FN Mk20 in 6.5CM. 2nd time out with it today.

First time we shot about 50 rounds of factory Spark 142g SMK in about the same temperature. I had 1 case with a pierced primer and the rest had some sort of ejector swipe on the Peterson brass but nothing you wouldn't see with a SASS and M118LR.

Good accuracy, consistent hits at 900+, S/D was like 4.

Go out today and after 3 rounds, I get a click when pulling the trigger. Charge it, ejects a live round with no primer strike. Pull trigger again, click. Eject another round with no primer strike.

I pull the gun apart, firing pin looks fine. Reassemble, fires again without a problem. We shoot another 5 rounds and I can smell gas and gunpowder. Check the cases, 3 of the 5 have completely pierced primers. Temp is like 5 degrees from what it was last time, and still in the 50s, so definitely not hot.

Since this is the only ammo I've ever shot with this, I can only assume that this is all ammo related and the ammo is pushing the border of blowing the fucking gun up. On the other hand, WTF factory ammo does this, especially at 50 degrees? I get that its a semi and they generally are a little different from loads for bolt guns, but that is generally for cycling, not almost blowing the gun up. Had I tried this in 90+ degrees, I'm betting we would have had a bad outcome.

Has anyone had an issue with Spark ammo just being like this?

Wow. Great all around, FN, just great 🙄

If you have tons of problems here on out, I’d write a paper letter detailing these issues to my state’s AG and send duplicates to the legal departments of FN America, FN Herstal SA, The Herstal Group, and maybe even Browning International. Heck, I’d even bitch about the “suppressor damages the rifle” claim too.

Mention (and include URLs) of vids like TMAC above as further proof, as well as your own experiences.

At the bottom of each paper letter, write:

Cc: (the names of the other places you’ve sent the letter)

That’s where the “cc” in email came from (carbon copy).

These are just the first good-ish letter format links I found. I am sure there are better ones. Obviously do not handwrite the thing.

Bonus points if you use the enclosure lingo too. Make the letter look formal. Do you have letterhead of your business? That’s even better.

Do not use the letterhead of a place you are employed at! Unless you like to maybe get fired, depending on your boss.

Something might shake loose. Emails don’t work. Large corp legal depts are very adverse to State AG’s, I’ve found out.

More bonus points if you send it registered (in the USA) so you know they got it. And they know that you know. Not sure what mail is trackable when sending overseas…haven’t done that in quite some time.

Here’s their Corp structure:

IMG_2120.png.jpg

Found here: https://fnamerica.com/about-fn/

This take some time, but I’ve found that it works.

Last edited:
    I hope there isn’t some specific gun manufacturers exception to product laws…no idea.

If you reload, use military hard primers. My bro had a SCAR 17 with the same problem that cleared up as son as we started using the harder primers instead of bench rest primers. Not the best solution, but it works!

Wow. Great all around, FN, just great 🙄

If you have tons of problems here on out, I’d write a paper letter detailing these issues to my state’s AG and send duplicates to the legal departments of FN America, FN Herstal SA, The Herstal Group, and maybe even Browning International. Heck, I’d even bitch about the “suppressor damages the rifle” claim too.

Mention (and include URLs) of vids like TMAC above as further proof, as well as your own experiences.

At the bottom of each paper letter, write:

Cc: (the names of the other places you’ve sent the letter)

That’s where the “cc” in email came from (carbon copy).

These are just the first good-ish letter format links I found. I am sure there are better ones. Obviously do not handwrite the thing.

Bonus points if you use the enclosure lingo too. Make the letter look formal. Do you have letterhead of your business? That’s even better.

Do not use the letterhead of a place you are employed at! Unless you like to maybe get fired, depending on your boss.

Something might shake loose. Emails don’t work. Large corp legal depts are very adverse to State AG’s, I’ve found out.

More bonus points if you send it registered (in the USA) so you know they got it. And they know that you know. Not sure what mail is trackable when sending overseas…haven’t done that in quite some time.

Here’s their Corp structure:

View attachment 8090187

Found here: https://fnamerica.com/about-fn/

This take some time, but I’ve found that it works.
    Was it beretta or browning the guy here sent a rifle in to be fixed and they just kept it lol. Been 3
    Years when he posted

FN has a small diameter firing pin and bolt assembly for SCAR Heavies in 6.5 CM. Contact them if you have a SCAR in 6.5 CM that pierces primers.

Last edited:
    Reactions: BCP
    Was it beretta or browning the guy here sent a rifle in to be fixed and they just kept it lol. Been 3
    Years when he posted

Who knows, but FN is a shit company regardless who only cares about military contracts. They make shit for solicitations and then peddle their junk to the civilian market for a little while when the military doesn't want their shit and then decide to discontinue it and not support it anymore leaving people with paperweights. Fuck that company.

Fuck the SCAR too. I had the larger and small frame and chased my tail with POI shift issues with both. The barrel mounting system is pure trash.

Beretta has shit CS, but at least they make some good products.

Idk man that Vegas gun rental guy says their shit is good shit Runs forever longer than the other shit

Yeah sloppy guns tend to run good FA. They make good MG's, but the stuff they give us sucks. Look at their pistols for a prime example, pure garbage.

Sig is in the process of stealing all their MG contracts too. Pretty sad when Sig makes better stuff.

From the video, if the gun is ejecting and not picking up the next round, it is over-gassed, not under-gassed. At least that has been my experience.

I dunno. ~2017-2018 when USSOCOM was testing the 6.5 those involved assured us it worked well in both the MK20 and M110 for all projectile weights (with 147 being ideal). But oddly, later on there was some talk of feed reliability in the MK20. Is this part and parcel of the same issue. Weird. 🤔

German, it’s unlike you to be poor and shoot something like this SCAR when Knights makes the 6.5 creed upper 🤷🏻‍♂️

This was what I was going to use so I didn't have to use my M110K1.

I still can't find a fucking 6.5 KAC upper in stock, anywhere, ever.

So called FN and they want the rifle back. To their defense they did send a label. However, having to send in a gun without even getting through 100 rounds is fucking retarded and some shit I'd except from like Bear Creek Arsenal or something.

Also looks like I'll have to tell them that I do not authorize them to fuck with the barrel or gas system as the 2nd video shows the new bolt/firing pin fix the issue but that whatever they did with the barrel/gas system caused another new issue.

Not a good look FN.

The prices on the Knights 6.5 uppers have been retardedly high on 2nd hand sites, but there's one on GB right now for $6k if you must have it.

My late 08 early 09 scar 16 runs like a champ.

The prices on the Knights 6.5 uppers have been retardedly high on 2nd hand sites, but there's one on GB right now for $6k if you must have it.

No. I was allegedly on 'the list' at one of the larger KAC distributor sites for the 6.5 upper. Never got a notice, email, anything, ever.

It was also cheaper to buy the entire FN 6.5 than it was to find the KAC upper.

No. I was allegedly on 'the list' at one of the larger KAC distributor sites for the 6.5 upper. Never got a notice, email, anything, ever.

It was also cheaper to buy the entire FN 6.5 than it was to find the KAC upper.
    Where's The German of old, telling people to go be poor somewhere else? Flex on the hide and get you a 6.5 Creed upper at scalper price.

KAC do be like that. Their 2022 price increase was tarded.
    FN Mk20 in 6.5CM. 2nd time out with it today.

First time we shot about 50 rounds of factory Spark 142g SMK in about the same temperature. I had 1 case with a pierced primer and the rest had some sort of ejector swipe on the Peterson brass but nothing you wouldn't see with a SASS and M118LR.

Good accuracy, consistent hits at 900+, S/D was like 4.

Go out today and after 3 rounds, I get a click when pulling the trigger. Charge it, ejects a live round with no primer strike. Pull trigger again, click. Eject another round with no primer strike.

I pull the gun apart, firing pin looks fine. Reassemble, fires again without a problem. We shoot another 5 rounds and I can smell gas and gunpowder. Check the cases, 3 of the 5 have completely pierced primers. Temp is like 5 degrees from what it was last time, and still in the 50s, so definitely not hot.

Since this is the only ammo I've ever shot with this, I can only assume that this is all ammo related and the ammo is pushing the border of blowing the fucking gun up. On the other hand, WTF factory ammo does this, especially at 50 degrees? I get that its a semi and they generally are a little different from loads for bolt guns, but that is generally for cycling, not almost blowing the gun up. Had I tried this in 90+ degrees, I'm betting we would have had a bad outcome.

Has anyone had an issue with Spark ammo just being like this?
    My 6.5 mk20 did the same. Constant popped primers. I complained to FN and they swapped me a 7.62x51 barrel. Was a bummer. That reminds me…I still need to sell that thing. Ha

Who knows, but FN is a shit company regardless who only cares about military contracts. They make shit for solicitations and then peddle their junk to the civilian market for a little while when the military doesn't want their shit and then decide to discontinue it and not support it anymore leaving people with paperweights. Fuck that company.

Fuck the SCAR too. I had the larger and small frame and chased my tail with POI shift issues with both. The barrel mounting system is pure trash.

Beretta has shit CS, but at least they make some good products.
    that seems to be the consensus in general.. how it ever get as far as it did

we know the military doesnt always but the best stuff etc, but it seems the scar is just inferior in general

you guys prob know more than me, but the reports i read said it got to Afghanistan were it was shitty as well

i would think before it gets to the front line someone would have seen its a POS

I hear high speed units have dropped KAC etc and went with Seekins

Once again im
    #aheadofthecurve

Now I know from my good friends and m4carbine that the scar is a true fighting gun and never fails its user. I was a poor then, so I will have to live vicariously thru the German

Also FN is best company and thou shalt not question it's products.

Do it, there is someone out there that wants one that bad!!
    Last one I saw didn’t even sell for the $15K the fella wanted. 😂 Course he had it bundled with a cerakoted SR25 lower.

My 6.5 mk20 pierced primers and blew a couple too. I shoot factory hornady 140eld's. First boxes were fine. Very accurate, but then problems started. I first thought it was the ammo. But 2 different batches didn't agree. I sent it back and they promptly returned it with a new barrel and bolt. No explanation. I talked to my contacts at scheels about it a while later and they said a rash of them had the issue. Story was that FN didn't change the gas block jet apertures from the 308 version and that it was way over gassed. I've seen that happen before so it could have been the issue. The new barrel so far has been great but for some reason I enjoy the 308 version better.

I'm considering selling me M110K1 for 25k at this point due to this stupidity.

Yeah,

As much as i like Knights, and appreciated the engineering that goes into their stuff, I really don't think its worth the premium anymore. I was pretty excited when they started talking about their short 6.5cm upper like 3 years ago and fast forward to today, they stream lined large frame lineup and have no ability to meet demand.

Their stuff is good, but not quite $5800 for a 8.5lb large frame 308 good.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
    My SCAR 20s, 6.5, reciprocating CH has had no issues shooting hornady 140gn ammo so far. I have yet to see a pierced primer with it and it has been absolutely reliable and very accurate (so far.) However, I did just get a low back pressure can for it and hope to shoot it suppressed this weekend. Here's hoping my opinion remains so untarnished.

@TheGerman check out Parker Mountain Machine Videos on YT, there is some good info on gas ports and setup that may help you out.

Reactions: Bri0242