• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2Q SCAR 20S - Scope Mount MOA & Mount Strength

VTX1800F

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2021
Kentucky
I know this has been discussed before and I apologize for bringing the matter up again, but I do so only because there seems to be no consistency in the answer.

QUESTION 1:
For my scope mount on the FN SCAR 20S, what MOA size should I purchase?

MY GEAR LONG RANGE:
US OPTICS TS-20 2-20X50 34MM
AD RECON-SL 20 MOA 34 STD

MY GEAR SHORT RANGE:
SIG SAUER BRAVO5 5X30MM

DISCUSSION:
I asked this question on Sniper's Hide and 20 MOA was the answer if you are using the SCAR 20S for long-range shooting. On this forum, it was suggested that 0 MOA would be best, but the reasoning was not really clear. So would the group mind reflecting upon this question again and providing their reasoning.

QUESTION 2:
Given the power of the SCAR, many have recommended a super strong mount such as the BOBRO SCAR MOUNT or the AD DELTA TITANIUM MOUNT. I currently have the AD RECON SL 20 MOA. At least one person thought this would be fine. What are the group's thoughts on the AD RECON SL 20 MOA being strong enough to prevent damage to my US OPTICS scope?

Thanks for the advice in advance...

What are you typical shooting distances? A 20 MOA base / mount is useful if a) you are shooting long range and b) you do not have enough elevation in your turrets to dial up for that long range. At close range it really does not give you any benefit. However, to me at least, if you have enough adjustment available in your turret there isn't really a good reason to not run a 20moa base. The only draw back you may run into is that zeroing your rifle at, say, 100 yards could be a challenge if, again, you don't have enough adjustment in your scope to spin down that far with the offset of the base in mind. That being said...zero for 200 and call it a day. With that zero you should really only ever need to dial up anyway.

Regarding "strong bases", yes you will want that and a robust optic. The SCAR puts a beat down on optics.

I’m no SCAR expert, but I run the ADM Delta on my 17 with a NightForce 1-8X ATACR.
I’m not a fan of vertical split rings.
Having said that, I believe that the biggest factor with optic mounts for a SCAR is cantilever. Your Recon will probably be fine.

We are an FN dealer as well as Nightforce dealer and represent other brands of scopes and mounts.

What we have seen is the Scar 17s delivers a beating on recoil, and generally we recommend a more solidly constructed military grade scope like an Elcan, Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender, a very solid mount. It never hurts to buy Spuhr. However, the Scar 20s with its longer barrel is a more precision weapon and less of a DMR battle gun, and the perceived recoil much less. Less military grade toughness is required, and you can relax your toughness requirements a bit. Here, more standard mounts will do just fine. On the ADM, I would recommend the larger rings, not the split setup. I would not recommend LaRue for the same reason. Geissele, Badger, Nightforce are all good ideas.

Get added MOA mount only if you've determined that you'll need the additional elevation on a fairly regular basis. As for the mount. If you are going to be swapping optics regularly and need quick detach capability, I suggest going with ADM or Bobro.