• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2x10-2x12 1x10 mil

Patriotparty

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
Ohio
I’ve got an 18 inch ss 5.56 looking to shoot steel out to 600 yards…scopes for DMR roll. A 14.5 oz suppressor will be going on it.

Im wanting a scope with clear glass and good in low light .. it’s got to be rugged…..hopefully not too heavy.
I want the lower magnification specifically as I feel if the gun was ever used in SHTF it would be better than say a 3x15 with rds. Plus I live in ohio so 600 yards is topping out long shot here where I’m at

I’ve found the vortex 2x10 but feel I would be very disappointed in the glass( I haven’t looked through it but at it’s price point I don’t think it would be that good)

I have not looked through a 1 x10 but assume you wouldn’t have low light capability.

I’ve searched for months and feel like I’m stuck with the vortex 2x10… or buy a 3x15 with rds……….

I’m not opposed to throwing the vortex on this gun calling it good and buying another gun with 3x15 and rds if that covers everything.
I’d like to keep it at $2k or lower on the scope unless I need to shell out more to get what I’m looking for.

What are your thoughts ? I really appreciate any help as I’ve been consumed trying to come up with something rugged

Reactions: JDB55
The new Eotech vudu 1-10x28 34mm tube FFP sounds like it could be an option for your requirements. A bit bigger objective for more light transmission/lowlight(28mm), a 1x with illuminated reticle/optimized 1x reticle, 10x for PID and seeing better at that 600ish yards plus a ranging reticle at 10x as well, lightweight at 21 ounces before rings/mount. A lot there that checks your boxes it seems, only downside is its just being released and not many hands have been on them yet, also questions on how bright the illumination is going to be. Retailing for around $1699-1799.

You find yourself in the predicament of many of us wanting something that's hardly on the market(see the NXS 2.5-10x42mm SFP). A 2-10/2-12ish, good glass, light weight, 30-40mm objective, FFP that's under 2k. Not a lot fits that bill. For me and your intended purpose I feel like a 1-10 lpvo optimized for distance (bit bigger objective and eyebox, 28mm vs 24mm) would be the closest you could get with what's available in your price range, especially with weight restrictions/"assumed durability". But you can go the offset RDS, 3-15 scope direction as well. I ended up doing that with a .308 gas gun and though it's more cumbersome and more expensive adding the RDS, I do like the perks at distance. But it fits a certain roll, I don't want to be running around everywhere with it.

There's also this...but it's nearly 3x so your gonna want an offset. It's also SFP, which imo this mag range needs FFP. It's definitely gonna give you lowlight superiority to the LPVO though.

*Note, I have no experience with either of these two scopes. Just the reputation of the companies and how they are perceived by those who have used them or seen them*

Last edited:
Trijicon makes a credo 2-10. The only downsides are no locking/capped turrets. they do have a zero stop, just no lock or cover. The reticle is also difficult to see on 2x if it's not illuminated. Other than that, the glass is good, the scope tracks well for dialing in shots, and on 10X it is a mil or moa grid reticle depending what you get. I have one on a 16" 6.5CM AR10 and it has been a pretty good scope getting beat around when it comes out. I think that gun got shock tested x2 as it seems to have a knack for getting pushed off the back of the truck. Still held zero except for when the elevation turret got bumped and turned on one of the impromptu cat tests 😁 but it dialed back down to zero stop and was still dead on where it was before

Reactions: JDB55
Trijicon makes a credo 2-10. The only downsides are no locking/capped turrets. they do have a zero stop, just no lock or cover. The reticle is also difficult to see on 2x if it's not illuminated. Other than that, the glass is good, the scope tracks well for dialing in shots, and on 10X it is a mil or moa grid reticle depending what you get. I have one on a 16" 6.5CM AR10 and it has been a pretty good scope getting beat around when it comes out. I think that gun got shock tested x2 as it seems to have a knack for getting pushed off the back of the truck. Still held zero except for when the elevation turret got bumped and turned on one of the impromptu cat tests 😁 but it dialed back down to zero stop and was still dead on where it was before

Good call! Definitely an option

Reactions: sboone
I'd look at a Helos BTR GEN2 2-12x42 as well

I’m of the opinion that the 2-10x class of scope works better in SFP than FFP. The reticle becomes very small at 2x to the point of being difficult to use in a FFP configuration. I hemmed and hawed over this with my Mk12, and ended up with an NF NXS 2.5-10, and an RMR on a 45 degree offset mount. I am very happy with it.

I used a 1-10x Razor HD Gen III before purchasing the NXS and it works well, but I found it’s a situation where you don’t get to have your cake and eat it too. The dot works great on 1x, but at 10x, I found that I really would have liked parallax adjustment. The target can get blurry enough to bother you, but making hits is still fully achievable. YMMV

Reactions: Temper and JDB55
I personally run a Bushnell LRTSi 3-12x44mm. Usable FFP reticle, built in Japan at Low optics (same as NightForce and Vortex Razor), great turrets with zero stop, decently light, good warranty, illuminated, great glass, 30mm tube which is better on an AR in my opinion, and you can find em for 800ish on the exchange.

I personally run a Bushnell LRTSi 3-12x44mm. Usable FFP reticle, built in Japan at Low optics (same as NightForce and Vortex Razor), great turrets with zero stop, decently light, good warranty, illuminated, great glass, 30mm tube which is better on an AR in my opinion, and you can find em for 800ish on the exchange.
Absolute patrician choice.

Here's another option in the 2.5-10 range I forgot- illuminated, FFP, parallax adjustment, made in the Philippines, 22 ounces, acss(currently out of stock). Might be one to research out.

If you do decide SFP if fine for your purpose then your options will really open up, there is more in that mag range in the SFP that are geared towards hunting.

Last edited:
LRTS/LRTSi scopes are outstanding. The illuminated version's thicker reticle plays well with what that scope is. I love that scope as a whole. It's difficult to find the 3-12's for sale, especially the illuminated models.

The 2-10 optics are obsolete. Zero reason to spend a dime on them or anything similar with modern high quality LPVS 1-10. They do everything the low power optics do (Most don't have parallax adjustment so its a moot point), but are incredibly more versatile.

Wait for the new Eotech or Buy a Gen 3 Razor. That's the easy awsner. Or do something else and up up with less capability.

If you need to use it for SHTF or defensive purposes the closer the threat the greater the threat. This is why its a priority to be able to run it like a red dot. Distance gives you time and margin of error.

LRTS/LRTSi scopes are outstanding. The illuminated version's thicker reticle plays well with what that scope is. I love that scope as a whole. It's difficult to find the 3-12's for sale, especially the illuminated models.
They are terrrible for a DMR type optic. I tried to make one work on a SR25 and SCAR17 for a few years. The eyebox is just too shitty and the FOV is abysmal. Great LW hunting and crossover optics, but shitty for DMR. I still have a few on hunting AR's and bolt guns.

They are terrrible for a DMR type optic. I tried to make one work on a SR25 and SCAR17 for a few years. The eyebox is just too shitty and the FOV is abysmal. Great LW hunting and crossover optics, but shitty for DMR. I still have a few on hunting AR's and bolt guns.
That’s not even remotely true on the 3-12 LRTSi. Were you trying the 4.5-18 or LRHS?

That’s not even remotely true on the 3-12 LRTSi. Were you trying the 4.5-18 or LRHS?
I have owned multiples of every version of that optic in both 3-12 and 4.5-18. The eybox on the 3-12 while better than the 4-18, still sucked and was terrible for running on a fighting gun.

The "eye box" on the LRHS scopes does not suck, nor does the FOV. Definitely not the 3-12. The 3-12 has a FOV of 35ft. 3-18 Razor is 37ft. The old 3-12 Steiner was 35ft. Vortex 3-15 LHT 25ft.

Reactions: LR-Enthusiast
The "eye box" on the LRHS scopes does not suck, nor does the FOV. Definitely not the 3-12. The 3-12 has a FOV of 35ft. 3-18 Razor is 37ft. The old 3-12 Steiner was 35ft. Vortex 3-15 LHT 25ft.
Does not suck? It sucks compared to the 100 foot field of view of the low power Nightforce’s. He did say fighting gun.

Last edited:
Does not suck? It sucks compared to the 100 foot field of view of the low power Nightforce’s. He did say fighting gun.
Why would you compare FOV if one optic at 3x and the other at 1x?

Obviously if someone's intended use requires 1x, then the LPVO is the clear choice. If you don't need 1x then an LVPO is not the be all end all.

This topic comes up fairly regularly and you can make arguments for an against mid power scopes vs LVPOs, you have to at least keep the comparisons in context.

Most of your 2-whatever options are going to be around 50ft. For context the OP is asking for 2-10 scopes, the suggested Nightforce 2.5-10 has a FOV of 44ft. The Vortex Viper he is looking at is 50ft, The Weaver 2-10x36 Tactical {discounted} or the Trijicon 2-10 are both 50ft.