• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3/14/09-MATCH IS CANCELLED-SCSSA RIFLE MATCH

inalabama

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
birmingham, al
THE 3/14/09 MATCH {TOMORROW} IS CANCELLED, SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">HELLO THERE-ITS THAT TIME AGAIN, HOPE TO CYA AT THE MATCH. OUR NEXT MATCH IS SATURDAY 3/14/09. EMAIL ME NOW FOR YOUR SHOOT TIMES AT
[email protected]</span>Larry

Re: SCSSA PRECISION RIFLE MATCH-3/14/09-BHAM, AL

hey there, we shoot at 300 yards, 380 and 440 yards, soon we will be out to 500 yards [we should be building that berm in a few weeks]. here is the match description from our web site [since this was posted on our web site, i added an additional 5 rounds per run to a steel plate at 440 yards, total now 35 rounds]:

We would prefer that all competitors register for the match in advance by email to [email protected] . I will reply assigning you a shoot time, request your caliber and ask if you are or are not a SCSSA member. [Non members need to sign a waiver form before they are allowed to shoot.] If you do not pre-register in advance of the match day, you can show up at the match and if slots are open you will be assigned a shoot time for later in the day.

-

General Information

SCSSA MONTHLY Precision Center-Fire Rifle Match

START TIME 9:00am-Range E

Second Saturday Of Each Month

MATCH RULES AND FORMAT

1. WHO CAN SHOOT/CALIBERS:

The match is open to all center fire rifles/cartridges*** with or without muzzle brake;

***except that at this time the berm cannot withstand .50 caliber, so no .50 cal;

NO ARMOR PIERCING ammo is allowed in any class.

2. COMPETITORS SHOOT FOR BOTH SCORE AND SMALLEST 5 SHOT GROUP [GROUP IS MEASURED AT 300 YARDS WITHIN EACH CLASS]:

The match is shot 5 classes:

Magnum [all magnum calibers],

Anything Goes - this includes all other calibers and all rifles with muzzle brakes, except for bench rest,

Bench Rest class - all shooters using "Bench Rest" style front rests.

3. FRONT & REAR RESTS ALLOWED:

Any form of separate front and rear rests or bags may be used, [the front and rear rests cannot be attached or connected in any way]; Competitors using "Bench Rest" style front rests will shoot in the "Bench Rest Class"

4. THE COURSE OF FIRE:

TOTAL TIME IS 25 MINUTES TO SHOOT 30 ROUNDS AS DESCRIBED BELOW***:

*** 300 Yard Berm 13 Shots:

-2, Caldwell 8" "Orange Peel" targets attached to one target backer/stand at the 300 yard berm,

-5 SHOTS TO EACH OF THE 8" CALDWELL ORANGE PEEL TARGETS [total of 10 shots]

Points will be scored as follows:

- X [center ] Ring = 5 points

-2nd Ring = 4 points

-3rd Ring = 3 points

-4th Ring = 2 points

-a hit to the ORANGE area around ANY OF THE 8" CALDWELL ORANGE PEEL TARGETS = 1 point

3, 2” RED DOTS on the target backer below the Caldwell 8" "Orange Peel" targets;

-1 SHOT AT EACH OF 3 RED DOTS

-[total of 3 shots]

-5 points for each RED DOT HIT

-0 points for ANY MISS

*** 380 Yard Berm 5 Shots:

-4, 4" Clay Targets hanging from one metal target stand at the 380 yard berm,

-1 SHOTS TO EACH OF THE 4" CLAYS

-[total of 4 shots]

-1, 5” Steel Plate resting on the wooden beam at the 380 yard berm,

-1 SHOT TO THE 5" STEEL PLATE

-[total of 1 shot]

-5 points for each HIT

-0 points for ANY MISS

*** 440 Yard Berm 12 Shots:

-2 Caldwell 8" "Orange Peel" targets attached to one target backer/stand at the 440 yard berm;

-5 SHOTS TO EACH OF THE 8" CALDWELL ORANGE PEEL TARGETS [total of 10 shots]

-Points will be scored the same as the 300 yard berm:

2, 3” RED DOTS on the target backer below the Caldwell 8" "Orange Peel" targets;

-1 SHOT AT EACH OF 2 RED DOTS

-[total of 2 shots]

-5 points for each RED DOT HIT

-0 points for ANY MISS

Total rounds fired per competitor equals 30. Maximum match score possible

= 150 points.

5. No sighter shots are allowed during the match as all shots count for score &/or best 5 shot group [groups are measured at 300 yards], the number of shots is limited to 30.

6. SCHEDULING OF COMPETITOR SHOOT TIMES: Competitors will shoot the match at fixed INTERVALS STARTING AT 9AM.

-Shooters "shoot times" will be scheduled on a first come first serve basis by the match director [the sooner I get your email, the earlier the competitor gets to shoot on match day].

7. SAFETY ON THE SHOOTING LINE:

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION AT ALL TIMES.

UNTIL THE MATCH DIRECTOR GIVES THE COMMAND TO DO OTHERWISE.

ALL BOLTS WILL REMAIN OUT OF THE CHAMBER, ALL MAGAZINES OUT OF THE RIFLE, ALL SEMI AUTO CHAMBERS OPEN; ALL ROUNDS OF AMMO OUT OF ALL FIREARMS; ALL CHAMBERS EMPTY WITH OPEN CHAMBER INDICATOR FLAG IN ALL RIFLES AT THE FIRING LINE.

ALL ROUNDS MUST IMPACT THE BERMS.

IN ORDER TO PROMOTE SAFE SHOOTING AND AVOID CONGESTION AT THE SHOOTING LINE OF FIRE [AND DUE TO SPACE LIMITATIONS ON THE RANGE E CONCRETE PAD], SPECTATORS AND/OR SHOOTERS WHO ARRIVE EARLY OR STAY AFTER THEIR DESIGNATED "SHOOT TIME" WILL BE REQUIRED TO STAND BEHIND THE COVERED CONCRETE SHOOTING PAD;

8. TRAFFIC CONGESTION FROM PARKING AT RANGE E MUST BE AVOIDED:

TRAFFIC CONGESTION MUST BE AVOIDED. ALL SHOOTERS WHO PARK AT RANGE E MUST PARK IN A MANNER THAT DOES NOT BLOCK ANY RANGE ROAD ACCESS, ENTRANCE OR EXIT [PLEASE BE AWARE OF ACCESS/EGRESS NEEDED FOR THE LOWER LEVEL RANGES TO THE RIGHT OF/BELOW RANGE E].

9. COMPETITOR ARRIVAL & ARRIVAL TIME:

All shooters are required to arrive no less than 20 minutes prior to their appointed "match shoot time". Upon arrival, each shooter must notify the match director, pay the match fee and sign a waiver if not a SCSSA member in good standing.

10. $10.00 BASIC MATCH FEE {PLUS ADDITIONAL $5 FOR THE SECOND CLASS/RIFLE THE COMPETITOR WANTS TO SHOOT} IS DUE TO THE MATCH DIRECTOR PRIOR TO SHOOTING THE MATCH [THE THIRD CLASS/RIFLE IS FREE]:

The fees cover the cost of target stands, materials and targets [this may go up or down at future matches depending on actual costs incurred-any extra funds from a match will go to the range as a donation].

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also have eye and ear protection. That is mandatory at this range. </div></div>

At ALL times, even if not shooting. I'm still waiting for the range officer to say something while I'm sitting in the car.

I feel like I'm subjected to a pat down every time that I go out there. Show me your range id that's hanging around your neck, notwithstanding that it took a current gate key to get into the range. Show me your eye and ear protection, both of which you're plainly wearing. Show me your gun. What are you shooting at? You can't just shoot at the berm, even if fireforming.

Last time at the range (only a couple of weeks ago), the range officer started accusing me of not taking my bolt out while the gun was sitting in the case. Only problem was that the gun was not mine but a board member who was shooting right next to me. Funny how the range officer shut up really fast. No such thing as quietly minding your own business at steel city.

my my palma, we are GROUCHY today [I WONDER WHAT YOU SAID BEFORE YOU EDITED YOUR POST!] ...you wouldn't be referring to ME [aka the range officer for the match] i hope, as i don't do that [let's be fair dude]...yes we have a vigilent safety oriented crowd. well suited for the variety of persons who grace our range with their bountiful presence. so are you gonna shoot the match on the 14th [want a shoot time?] or are you just gonna moan, groan and complain? send me your email for your shoot time.

I edited the post to add the text, "notwithstanding that it took a current gate key to get into the range," which I think is a very important point. If I've got a current gate key, the range officer shouldn't have to inspect my range id, especially not while I'm shooting.

Not grouchy just stating the facts. If I'm shooting with my range membership card, eye protection, and ear protection plainly visible, there is absolutely no reason for some old fart to walk down to my bench at the far end of the range, and interupt my day by holling the range is cold just to inspect my stuff. It happens almost every time, but especially so during the week.

And no, you weren't the range officer or the board member. I have no issues with the manner in which your matches are run. Nice and clean.

I'm 99% sure I know who you're talking about. Just so you know, we ALL have to work around him.

Try not to let it bother you and don't let it ruin your day......

we are booked up on 3/14/09 through 11:15 start times, noon is open for 4 shooters, so email me already...

okjerry, just sent you an email, you are now at 9:30 and 10:45, back to back, thanks larry

Do you have to bring your rifle to the line in a case ?

Howard

hi howard-yes you do and after you shoot you bag the gun before you remove it from the shooting bench, its a safe way to run the match as we have match directors going down range quickly after each run ends and also because range rules do not allow walking to your car etc with an uncased rifle, larry