• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 3-15 For Gas Gun

savageman

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
Iam looking for a new tactical scope for a gas gun that will be used in my local longrange/sniper comp. Will be used for the occasional 1000yard shot.

I want FFP and iam used to MIl/MIl. Thinking something in the 3-15 mag range.

Iam looking at the Weaver 3-15 ffp and the Leupold e/rt 4-14 with M5 turrets. I really want 10 mils per turn but I guess I can't get everything in this price range. Does anyone have experience with these 2? Is the Leupold work double?

Also iam open to any other suggestions. Just want to keep the scope somewhat compact.
I had an IOR 3-18x50 on this rifle and I just put it on my new Sako trg 42. I was considering another one of these but I would like something a little smaller and lighter.

An info would be most appreciated

Re: 3-15 For Gas Gun

I can't comment on the Leupold, but I love my Weaver 3-15x50. Don't think it gets much better in the price category and magnification range.

It's not compact and it's a heavy scope if that matters to you.

That Weaver is a fine scope and I would buy it over the Leupold even if the Weaver cost more. 3-15 is an ideal magnification range, good for anything from a 600 yard rifle to a 1500 yard rifle.

I got a Leupold 3.5-10 Mk4 mil dot M5 FFP and a Weaver 3-15 tactical at the same time. I like the weaver better. The reticle is better, the features are nicer, and I can't tell a damned bit of difference on the glass quality. I will say I'm not sold on Weaver's locking turrets as of yet, but they're functional (I've used luppy for awhile and I just might be used to their turrets).

The weaver seems hell for stout. My only mild bitches are the turrets being a little odd to me, and the brightness setting on the illumination of the weaver aren't ideal (the lowest brightness isn't low enough, and the brightest isn't bright enough - someting I'm sure they could fix easlily if they were so inclined). Of course, Leupold's M5 illumination sucks, since it doesn't exist, so the weaver is still much better.

Of course, the Leupold Mk4 has decades of history of good service, and the Weaver is new - but at half the price I was willing to take the risk.

I use the Weaver 3-15 FFP in a QD mount on my POF P-308. As mentioned, it's not a lightweight, but it's solid. The glass is good, and the features are above everything in it's price range. I don't think you've missed anything else that competes with it to compare. The Viper PST's maybe, but they're not 5x magnification, and they cost a little more than the Weaver if you want FFP.

With the Weaver do you think I need a 20moa mount to get to a 1000? I have my eye on an aadland mount right now. Or should just save some money and throw it in some XTRs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savageman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the Weaver do you think I need a 20moa mount to get to a 1000? I have my eye on an aadland mount right now. Or should just save some money and throw it in some XTRs? </div></div>

No, they have 30+ mils of travel.

I love a nf 2.5-10 on my gas guns. Light good glass. 10x is plenty to hit a 12 " plate at 1100 for me. Several for sale at a good price in the px

Depends on the gas gun for me.

My .223 has a 1-4x for weight. A NF 2.5-10x would be great for further shots, but I don't use for more than Minute of torso shots to 300yds.

My AR10 is too heavy to carry so it gets the beefy 3-15x Weaver for bench and prone. For a lightweight carry AR10/308AR 16" for hunting I'd go with a lighter scope than the Weaver 3-15 for sure.

Purpose will dictate weight.

Its for an FNAR. I have an SS 1-4 donut on my .223 comp rifle. You guys make this weaver sound as good as a F1 guess Iam going to have to give it a try.

The Weaver scopes are nice especially for the price but I feel the Leupold a nicer made scopes. The TMR is a nice RET, the eye box on the Leupold is more forgiving, the glass is on par for the most part hard to say the Leupold see better, and the turrets are nice on both I prefer the Leupold's turrets (I do not really care for the locking turrets on the Weaver). The Weaver offers illumination if that is what you are looking for.

We have both scopes in stock so if we can be of help feel free to ask.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savageman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys make this weaver sound as good as a F1 guess Iam going to have to give it a try.</div></div>

Wouldn't go that far.. but for a sub $700 (on sale or with coupons) FFP mil/mil optic, it's hard to beat. The Vortex PST gets good reviews to so don't count that out as well. It comes down to reticle, weight, options.

If getting it to run comps where you will be cranking on the knobs, I can see where the locking turrets would be in PITA. For square range adjustments they aren't an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savageman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys make this weaver sound as good as a F1 guess Iam going to have to give it a try.</div></div>

Wouldn't go that far.. but for a sub $700 (on sale or with coupons) FFP mil/mil optic, it's hard to beat. The Vortex PST gets good reviews to so don't count that out as well. It comes down to reticle, weight, options.

If getting it to run comps where you will be cranking on the knobs, I can see where the locking turrets would be in PITA. For square range adjustments they aren't an issue. </div></div>

You wouldn't be able to run a course shooting at different distances leaving the turrets unlocked? Do you have to lock the turrets to shoot? If so the weaver is a no go.

you can shoot with them unlocked.... just don't accidentally push them down. Actually there are two stages to locking them. First adjust and push down. Second give them a slight wiggle to align with the locking mechinism and push rest of the way to full lock. There were a few times I thought I locked them only to realize I didn't fully seat them. So you should be fine... and even if you do lock them and forgot, just give um a yank and turn. Just like anything you have to pick a system and get used to it.