• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3-18 scope recommendations

@Dan65 I wouldn't overlook the K318i, it really is a great hunting scope with a good FOV and image. You own Kahles, so you know what i'm taking about. But I also have an LRP S3, and like Rob said, it's a lot of scope for the money. I think if I had to choose between the 2, I would go K318i if I wasn't opposed to spending the top of my budget, but if I wanted to spend less, the LRP S3 4.5-25x50 would make for an excellent scope, as well. They're both great.

I'm also not a fan of Horus reticles, as they're "too busy" for me. I'm ok with standard 1/4-MIL stadia. I don't need it to do calculus and trig for me. At some point, I think reticles are getting kind of stupid, and out of hand. But that's just my opinion. Armchair snipers will tell you "you just don't know how to use it right!" Maybe not, but I guarantee they don't either. 😂
I have been shooting for a long time but am brand new to long range. At this point I don't even know what I don't know so I am trying to get a scope that sets me up for success. Originally, I liked reticles like the Mil-XT and SCR2 because it seemed like they would allow you to be very precise while aiming with the tree. The more I think about it after listening to you, the more I think the SKMR3 may actually be what I want. If I need to make a very precise shot, I'll dial. If I want to do a fast shot, the uncluttered reticle will allow me to find the hold point easily. Are those correct viewpoints? Or will I feel like I don't have enough data in my tree to accurately do holds since they're only 0.5 mil spaced dots, instead of 0.2 like the Mil-XT and SCR2?

I have been shooting for a long time but am brand new to long range. At this point I don't even know what I don't know so I am trying to get a scope that sets me up for success. Originally, I liked reticles like the Mil-XT and SCR2 because it seemed like they would allow you to be very precise while aiming with the tree. The more I think about it after listening to you, the more I think the SKMR3 may actually be what I want. If I need to make a very precise shot, I'll dial. If I want to do a fast shot, the uncluttered reticle will allow me to find the hold point easily. Are those correct viewpoints? Or will I feel like I don't have enough data in my tree to accurately do holds since they're only 0.5 mil spaced dots, instead of 0.2 like the Mil-XT and SCR2?

They are not viewpoints I agree with. Having more precise marks on the reticle helps make precise shots. Doesn't matter if a fast or slow shot. I would take the XT and SCR2 over the SKMR3 any day of the week. Will the SKMR3 work? Sure but I want more precise marks. Reticles are personal preference so you will have to try them for yourself but having done so I gave you my opinion.

Reactions: Dan65
My thoughts on this are, if you’re close enough to do a point & shoot on an animal, then you won’t be using enough magnification to even really worry about using the tree with an FFP scope. Most rifles only drop a couple inches at 300 from a 100 yard zero, and with centerfires, you won’t really need to touch the windage dial, or use any correction in the reticle at that distance. But if they’re 300+ yards, you might want to zoom in a bit, and use the tree from 300-500. At 500+, I’d have a range Finder and a dope chart already established, so I can dial.

This is just my thoughts…I’m only one person, and everyone has their own method. And has to figure out which method works best for them, their rifle, their scope, type of animal they’re hunting, and environment they’re hunting in. Each and every situation will be different.

They are not viewpoints I agree with. Having more precise marks on the reticle helps make precise shots. Doesn't matter if a fast or slow shot. I would take the XT and SCR2 over the SKMR3 any day of the week. Will the SKMR3 work? Sure but I want more precise marks. Reticles are personal preference so you will have to try them for yourself but having done so I gave you my opinion.
i'm with rob on this. i hate the skmr reticles and especially the solid line which to my eyes is significantly more distracting than some extra dots/hashes. same goes for the bushnell gap ones too

At only 2.5" longer, 1 oz heavier, and still within the budget, what does everyone think of the K525i with AMR Reticle?

At only 2.5" longer, 1 oz heavier, and still within the budget, what does everyone think of the K525i with AMR Reticle?
It's another great scope, so if you prefer 5-25, then roll with it over the K318i, and if you want the most FOV possible, the DLR model is available. I was thinking that would be my next big scope purchase, but possibly going to wind up getting one of the ZCO 527's, or an ATACR 5-25x56 MIL-XT to try out.

i'm with rob on this. i hate the skmr reticles and especially the solid line which to my eyes is significantly more distracting than some extra dots/hashes. same goes for the bushnell gap ones too
The new K318i with the SKMR3 isn't a solid line...It has a floating center-dot, just like the SKMR4...

K318i SKMR3.png

I think he is talking about the mil lines below the crosshair. They are limes with marks. I would rather have less there and have dots.

Reactions: b6graham
Gotcha... Well, it doesn't bother me, but I could see where that might bother some folks. Everyone has a preference.
I actually prefer the lines on a tree reticle if I’m going to shoot off it myself. Easier for me to keep track and not have to think as much about where I am

Reactions: FuhQ
My bad, you were the one who mentioned the Credo, I was trying to help folks avoid wasting their money on one. And yeah, I own some much higher priced scopes than the Credo...But I also own some that cost much less. And the sad thing was, my $450 Primary Arms SLx 1-10x28 LPVO has better glass than his $1,300 1-10x Credo had. He sold it because the glass was so shitty.
I agree, the 1-10 credo leaves something to be desired. It is difficult to pull off a 10x erector and they missed mark. however, the 2.5-15 has very nice glass, sharp, clear to the edges and bright. The eye box gets a bit tight at 15x, but I'm very pleased with mine (56mm objective)

I am also pleased with my 2.5-15 credo
A70AD118-025A-4E89-9B44-87BFA4CDABBC.jpeg

I’m thinking about buying another for an spr.

This rifle mostly gets shot at 600-800 max but I don’t have any qualms with glass quality.

I did not read all of the replies.
Your specs are fine if that is what you want. One thing you might consider not being a deal breaker on is illuminated reticule. Most of my scopes have them. I NEVER find a use for them. Todays reticules show well day or night. Sunlight, shadow and with or without NVD.

Illumination is detrimental as it reduces your night vision.

I’d never buy a scope over $1000 that didn’t have an illuminated reticle. I use them all the time. You can get better shots with contrast on some targets and it’s easy to just turn the illumination on. Don’t need it? Leave it off but it’s there when you do.

Also most every scope in the $2000 range except those Leupolds have illumination anyways so it’s a moot point.

What about the Athlon ARES ETR 3-18?

I use Athlon scopes on all my rifles and am very happy with them.

Tobias
They're unbelievably expensive for Chinese made scopes. I wouldn't doubt it's THE BEST CHINESE MADE 3-18X50 SCOPE THOUGH.

This is coming from an Athlon fan.

Buy them only through Expert Voice.

I get this mental block whenever even thinking of paying more than $600 MAXIMUM for ANY CHINESE MADE SCOPE.

The Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50 MRAD1 is currently on backorder till November 2023 for $699.00. Some experts may even insist they are made in China but this one and the 5-30x56 MRAD currently on sale at EuroOptic and Scopelist fir $699.99 are the MAXIMUM I'd pay for them if they are indeed made in China.

Vortex 3-18 ffp strike eagle
I really don't like buying any of the Chinese made Vortex but missed the $499 sale on the 3-18x FFP Strike Eagle couple months ago. It's their newest Chinese addition so maybe it's better quality than their others? What interested me the most is it's probably light weight in it's made in China class against it's peers sold by other brands. I've had bad luck with mid priced Chinese Vortex scopes.

If you can get this for $400 or less it’s a great scope.