• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 3-9x or fixed 10x scope with target dot?

wahoowad

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Virginia
I'm looking for a 3-9x or 10x scope that will see duty on a semi-auto 7.62x39 as well as a bolt 223 gun. Desired features include:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]a small target dot, (preferably non-illuminated to avoid a battery compartment)[*]covered target turrets [*]no larger than 42mm objective [*]lifetime warranty[/list]
Any recommendations? Vortex Crossfire II and Mueller make something close but they have an illuminated reticle that I do not want the battery compartment bump.

Re: 3-9x or fixed 10x scope with target dot?

I saw that scope but it doesn't have the target dot I want, and I think those bigass turrets are kinda bobo. I like em....smaller and perkier...
laugh.gif

Maybe I am using the wrong terminology.
eek.gif
When I say 'target dot' I do not mean mil-dot, I mean something like this:

ret_targetdot.jpg
Leupold-Dot-Reticle.gif

very interesting list of characteristics, care to explain the reasons? I ask cause you seem set on the reticle, which seems to be fairly outdated so this may make your search tricky. Also ive never heard of anyone caring about the "battery compartment bump". Just curious

You completely lost me with non-illuminated dot reticle. I've looked at a heck of a lot of reticles in doing research online and never once came across that.

I have a non-illuminated reticle on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x and I am just crazy about it. I have plenty of other scopes with various plex and mil-dot reticles but for me the little dot just works.

I don't generally shoot in low light so the illuminated reticle is not needed. Past experience with other illuminated reticles is that I forget to turn the darn thing off and find the battery dead the next time I need it. I also want the scope as small a form factor as possible so the big bulge for an undesired battery compartment is not wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You completely lost me with non-illuminated dot reticle. I've looked at a heck of a lot of reticles in doing research online and never once came across that. </div></div>

Most of the target dot scopes I find come with an 'illuminated' reticle feature. After starting this topic I found an option that gives me a target dot but no illuminated feature - it is a Sightron.

Sightron SIIB3942D

The target dot is losing popularity because it gets lost on the furry, brown creatures. They added illumination to help with this. It works great for the intended purpose (targets). I've shot with 2 Leupold VXIIIs that had the target dot and using it for woodchucks was impossible. If you like it, more power to you, but it will be harder and harder for you to find what you are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You completely lost me with non-illuminated dot reticle. I've looked at a heck of a lot of reticles in doing research online and never once came across that.</div></div>

I just got a nitrex(made by weaver) with the dot reticle. Nightforce offers the ch-2 reticle. I believe weaver offers that reticle and I'm sure there are others

Op, weaver may have what you're looking for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dang472</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The target dot is losing popularity because it gets lost on the furry, brown creatures. They added illumination to help with this. It works great for the intended purpose (targets). I've shot with 2 Leupold VXIIIs that had the target dot and using it for woodchucks was impossible. If you like it, more power to you, but it will be harder and harder for you to find what you are looking for. </div></div>

What works for one person may not work for another. I have had no issues whatsoever putting the target dot on the groundhog and closing the deal. In fact, I greatly prefer the dot over my other scopes. Same for shooting groups on paper.

The only thing that got lost on the furry brown creature after I put that dot on him was about 30% of his body mass.
grin.gif