• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3-9x scope for my 8 year old (under $300)

Kansas_Born

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Brownsburg, Indiana
My oldest son is getting into shooting. He just finished up a season of 5 m bb shooting and 22lr is the next season. They have weight requirements for the rifles with optic (less than 8.5 lbs). The scope has to be a variable optic and weight is a premium consideration.

I have a CZ 457 that he will be using and the rifle is in a mdt chassis so that length of pull isn’t a problem. What scope and rings under $300 for a new shooter? Distances will be 100 yards and less.

30 years ago my go to 3-9 was the Burris Full field II. Probably had over 10 of them in various mag ranges. Definitely check them out.

Vortex Crossfire II 3-9X40 Dead Hold. (I call it the stove pipe reticle.)

The forum is not letting me paste in an Amazon link. 149 at amazon, then buy whatever rings you want. I would get something with more screws than just the single wide "hunter" rings.

• Haha
Reactions: Hickswr
Nothing in the lower tier Vortex lines is worth having, if you want your shots to go where you point, without worrying if the scope is busted.

They are budget, and that's fine, but they are apparently CHEAP, and that is not fine.

Young shooters have a lot to worry about--as do you--without questioning the equipment...or learning to use it as an excuse.

Add to cart price is only $331 on sale. And it only weighs 18.11 oz, too! And it has an adjustable parallax from 10 yards to infinity.

Contact @Euro.Connor and he might can even get you a better price on it?

You won't find much better glass than this for the $300 budget you're wanting to stick to. Get him a halfway decent scope, and he'll enjoy shooting MUCH better, than if you buy a rinky-dink cheap Vortex or Athlon scope, or something like that.

Also, DO NOT buy a rimfire scope. They have a set parallax at either 25 or 50 yards. You don't want that. It will limit things later on. Get a regular MIL centerfire scope that has an adjustable parallax (like the one I linked you to) and you'll be way ahead of the game.

Here's the rings I recommend... Strong, secure, built like a tank, and the absolute most repeatable rings I've ever used, as long as you torque them to the same specs each time with the same torque wrench. I've left them torqued to the scope, but removed and reinstalled the scope from the rifle (testing this) with several sets of these to check zero shift, and every time they are dead-on zero. I was extremely shocked to say the least. They seem expensive, but well worth the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kansas_Born
That US Optics made in the Philippines or china? Looks interesting.

My oldest son is getting into shooting. He just finished up a season of 5 m bb shooting and 22lr is the next season. They have weight requirements for the rifles with optic (less than 8.5 lbs). The scope has to be a variable optic and weight is a premium consideration.

I have a CZ 457 that he will be using and the rifle is in a mdt chassis so that length of pull isn’t a problem. What scope and rings under $300 for a new shooter? Distances will be 100 yards and less.
Just a question, since I don’t own the MDT CZ457 chassis. Isn’t the MDT chassis 7 lbs.-14 oz.? That leaves you less than a pound for action, barrel and scope.

Not trying to rain on your parade as I like the MDT chassis system, just asking.

Sorry didn't realize Burris discontinued the Fullfield II line now the have a droptine? Anyway parallax is set at 50 yards on one of the models so that would work good for a 22 and a 8year old. Check all out and see what meets your needs.

Just a question, since I don’t own the MDT CZ457 chassis. Isn’t the MDT chassis 7 lbs.-14 oz.? That leaves you less than a pound for action, barrel and scope.

Not trying to rain on your parade as I like the MDT chassis system, just asking.
The mdt lss is listed as 1.4-1.6 pounds. Bathroom scale says 9.2 pounds with Athlon btr 1 and Spuhr rings. I figure I can get it in the range with a new scope.

Attachments

• IMG_5135.jpeg
    IMG_5135.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5136.jpeg
    IMG_5136.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 32
Vortex makes very good budget scopes, hard to get a bad deal buying vortex. There is a pretty decent market for sub $300 scopes, amazing what you can buy these days.

PB

Vortex makes very good budget scopes, hard to get a bad deal buying vortex. There is a pretty decent market for sub $300 scopes, amazing what you can buy these days.

PB
Yeah, I agree. And I have never had a problem with the Dead Hold 3-9X40. So, for someone to say that is crap and unusable, I wonder what experience led them to say that. Did they have one that failed or do they watch too much of Cyclops reviews? Because Cyclops gets paid to talk good about Arken scopes. In fact, the one company that I know does not pay for reviews is Vortex. I don't know about the others and I do know Cyclops is an affiliate of Arken. That means money and goodies.

Are you limited to a 3-9?
If not, these are really dandy little scopes, with surprisingly good glass. Plus, it's mil/moa so you can pretend it's 1985.
Seriously, it has a side focus and capped, resettable turrets and 90 moa of adjustment in a 1" tube.

Reactions: BCP
For rings, I have been pleasantly surprised by the monstrum pro series rings. They appear to be very well made.

I have one of the u.s.o. ts12x on a savage mk 2 I run it in rimfire matches out to 200 yds . It's a pretty nice little optic and will focus down to 10 yds . euro optic has the best price on them for sure .
IMG_4358 2.jpeg

Yeah, I agree. And I have never had a problem with the Dead Hold 3-9X40. So, for someone to say that is crap and unusable, I wonder what experience led them to say that. Did they have one that failed or do they watch too much of Cyclops reviews? Because Cyclops gets paid to talk good about Arken scopes. In fact, the one company that I know does not pay for reviews is Vortex. I don't know about the others and I do know Cyclops is an affiliate of Arken. That means money and goodies.
Who is Cyclops?

If you two are referring to me, I'll just address that I hate lots of things as much as scopes that don't work.

If you aren't referring to me, well, I'll talk anyway.

I have killed multiple brands of scopes, had friends and colleagues that have also killed multiple scopes, and it can be really heartbreaking, at best.

The last one that broke was taking some pretty heavy (30+ pounds) recoil. It took me 4 rounds to notice, 3 to diagnose fully, and no more spent ammo. I was sad for as long as it took me to swipe the card for a replacement, and no real harm was done.

EXPERIENCE did that for me. The previous "harm done" to me from broken shit was enough to teach me to trust good weapons, trust my ammo, and trust my hold...so when holes start going where I didn't tell them to go, I start looking for the problem immediately.

30 years ago, I blamed myself.

Vortex is WELL known to have issues with durability of their lower end. You might notice I'm not criticizing their 4-digit scopes? It's damn near like two brands...except the consumer has to defend themselves without any inside knowledge.

That's not unique to Vortex. All major brands have multiple lines of scopes, for different reasons. One of the reasons is so they can leverage their brand to sell a scope to EVERYBODY. Gone are the days when every item was built to as high a standard as possible. Thing is, to maintain profit on every level of scope, if you want to sell a budget optic, it has to be cheaper, or it will be a loss leader. Bean counters get pissed at product dev and brand positioning when they kick out losers...and bean counter's emails go higher up the chain. Way higher.

To make cheaper scopes, you can cut in a variety of ways. One way the sometimes-idiotic American shootercizer or fudsumer seems not to tolerate is in "glass": perceived image quality.

You'd be better to have a plastic-lensed POS with no coating...but that can be TRUSTED to adjust, hold, and put bullets where you point...than you are when your manufacturer gives you excellent image quality wrapped up in shit machining and delicate architecture

That, or even precision irons are better.

It's a SIGHTING SYSTEM, so first and foremost, it has to send bullets where told. If it can't do that, it is a liability.

I don't watch reviews, I guess? I tend to spend my time shooting, and teaching others about how to do it well, and fixing their shit, or telling them how.

I also test, and retest, and drill with my stuff. Not everything is top-tier; in fact, none of it is except my iron guns. But all my shit WORKS.

A scope that breaks becomes a nice lapping bar, or turn-in wrench, and I kept one old Bushnell, 1/2 taken apart, to teach kids with. So all is not lost.

On topic:

A Leupold M8, Sightron S2, Weaver Micro, Burris Mini....these are all budget options that are ia better solution than most of the new Chicom shit. China, etc. CAN make us very good stuff...but WE continue to gobble up all the trash "our" manufacturers pay China to make.

Trust: if it's shit quality, and Chinese-made sold here, it's because "YOUR BRAND" told them to make it that way.

I recommend you don't trust your equipment until it repeatedly demonstrates it can perform. Then, when it surprises you and stops performing, you'll know immediately. If you can shoot as well as you type. ;)

Last edited:
Who is Cyclops?

If you two are referring to me, I'll just address that I hate lots of things as much as scopes that don't work.

If you aren't referring to me, well, I'll talk anyway.

I have killed multiple brands of scopes, had friends and colleagues that have also killed multiple scopes, and it can be really heartbreaking, at best.

The last one that broke was taking some pretty heavy (30+ pounds) recoil. It took me 4 rounds to notice, 3 to diagnose fully, and no more spent ammo. I was sad for as long as it took me to swipe the card for a replacement, and no real harm was done.

EXPERIENCE did that for me. The previous "harm done" to me from broken shit was enough to teach me to trust good weapons, trust my ammo, and trust my hold...so when holes start going where I didn't tell them to go, I start looking for the problem immediately.

30 years ago, I blamed myself.

Vortex is WELL known to have issues with durability of their lower end. You might notice I'm not criticizing their 4-digit scopes? It's damn near like two brands...except the consumer has to defend themselves without any inside knowledge.

That's not unique to Vortex. All major brands have multiple lines of scopes, for different reasons. One of the reasons is so they can leverage their brand to sell a scope to EVERYBODY. Gone are the days when every item was built to as high a standard as possible. Thing is, to maintain profit on every level of scope, if you want to sell a budget optic, it has to be cheaper, or it will be a loss leader. Bean counters get pissed at product dev and brand positioning when they kick out losers...and bean counter's emails go higher up the chain. Way higher.

To make cheaper scopes, you can cut in a variety of ways. One way the sometimes-idiotic American shootercizer or fudsumer seems not to tolerate is in "glass": perceived image quality.

You'd be better to have a plastic-lensed POS with no coating...but that can be TRUSTED to adjust, hold, and put bullets where you point...than you are when your manufacturer gives you excellent image quality wrapped up in shit machining and delicate architecture

That, or even precision irons are better.

It's a SIGHTING SYSTEM, so first and foremost, it has to send bullets where told. If it can't do that, it is a liability.

I don't watch reviews, I guess? I tend to spend my time shooting, and teaching others about how to do it well, and fixing their shit, or telling them how.

I also test, and retest, and drill with my stuff. Not everything is top-tier; in fact, none of it is except my iron guns. But all my shit WORKS.

A scope that breaks becomes a nice lapping bar, or turn-in wrench, and I kept one old Bushnell, 1/2 taken apart, to teach kids with. So all is not lost.

On topic:

A Leupold M8, Sightron S2, Weaver Micro, Burris Mini....these are all budget options that are ia better solution than most of the new Chicom shit. China, etc. CAN make us very good stuff...but WE continue to gobble up all the trash "our" manufacturers pay China to make.

Trust: if it's shit quality, and Chinese-made sold here, it's because "YOUR BRAND" told them to make it that way.

I recommend you don't trust your equipment until it repeatedly demonstrates it can perform. Then, when it surprises you and stops performing, you'll know immediately. If you can shoot as well as you type. ;)
I was referring to you and my question about the experiences was without salt. I was not looking for a fight or attitude.

But thanks for elucidating your statements.

And I am out, it was not my intention to throw shade. Just curious.