• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3 different types of .308

Russell3812

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
Went out today for the 4th time with my rifle. I have a savage arms .308 10FLCP-K. I'm shooting off a bi-pod from the bench testing 7.62x51mm german surplus 145 grain, Federal Premium .308 Win 165 grain & Hornady Superformance .308 SST 150 Grain.

<span style="font-weight: bold">All shots were at 100 yards.</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">This is the Military surplus</span>
5b232770df3c__1305314960000.jpeg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here are the Federal Rounds</span>
5430fc7815ca__1305314479000.jpeg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Finally, the Hornady Rounds</span>
8d6121920b96__1305314980000.jpg

Being new to shooting I didn't think I would see too much of a difference as I think right now any errors are my own and not the equipment. But I did shoot my best groups with the Hornady rounds. Any advice, tips would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Re: 3 different types of .308

Are the top 2 4-shot groups, and the bottom one a 3-shot group? And where are your other groups?

If you want to do a true test, do 4 or 5 5-shot groups or 7-9 3-shot groups and look at the averages if you are selecting an ammo.

Of course, you have 3 completely different types of ammo there. Mil surplus, hunting ammo, and premium hunting ammo. What are you trying to do?

For making nice small groups, I would try some various brands of factory match ammo like Federal Gold Medal, Black Hills Match, and Hornady Match. Or better yet, try Southwest Ammo:
http://www.southwestammunition.com/

If your purpose is hunting, your groups are plenty good for most types of hunting and the Federal Premium and Hornady Superperformance will kill most medium-sized game inside of 500 yards.

The bottom picture is 4 shots. Every pic has 4 shots. That one big hole has 3 shots through it. Was proud of that one
grin.gif

What am I trying to do.... not sure yet! Just having a lot of fun shooting this thing. Coming here to get some pointers on shooting, equipment etc. I'm interested in shooting tiny little groups from long distances. That would be what I've been trying to do so far.

Thank you for the information on Southwest Ammo. I was just looking at their website. That's a great price.

Normally vertical change is due to the harmonics of the barrel and the horizontal is due to wind/shooter error etc. Tuning a load to your rifle would be better then using bought ammo. That would shrink the vertical (hornandy looked good) and anything side to side would be the shooter. Learn the wind and know before you see the hole if you pulled it or not.

Thanks, I did start to notice that the shots going off to the left and right were poor trigger control. I'm working on this. Also looking into creating my own hand loads.

watch for leaking primers on the superformance ammo.

Buy some FGMM, it is cheaper than the ammo you are shooting (except the surplus) and should tighten up your groups.

try that southwest 308 ammo. its right around $1 more or less depending on what flavor you get