• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3 groove 1-9" twist for a 300WM?

LR338nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Umitilla County, Or
I am about to have a rifle rebarreled to 300wm for LR hunting. My local gunsmith is a big fan of Benchmark barrels and I haven't read anything bad about them. I am considering something mid weight (#6/7, Rem Varmint, Light Palma) with 3 groove 1-9" twist. I wouldn't be shooting anything less than a 208Amax/210Accubond/215VLD. From what I have read the 3 groove is going to have a higher velocity, but "hard" on J-4 jacketed VLD's. I was thinking that the 1-9" might be nice incase some new super high BC bullet came out and needed something faster than 1-10".
So, with that in mind.......
What is better for VLD's, 3 or 5 groove? Why?
Should I go with a 1-9" or stay with 1-10"? Why?
Thank you in advance.

Stay with a 10 twist. That's fast enough to shoot SMK240's and Berger 230's. A 1-9 would increase the torque of the rifle by 10% VS a 1-10. I can't see anything heavier being made for 30 cal. that's why the make 338's.
3-4-5-6-8 groove. They all shoot well. Just manage heat checking and carbon build up and you'll be fine.

I went with a 1-9" twist on my 300wm from Hawk Hill Custom so I would be sure that it would stabilize the 230gr Hybrids but I just recently got the rifle so I haven't worked up any loads to test it yet. Going 1 twist faster than the minimum of what you need won't hurt a thing. I shoot 178gr hpbt's from my 1-10" twist gas gun and it loves them. I really believe the number of groves is really just a preference and is sometimes used as a marketing scheme. I was going to go with a Benchmark canted 2 groove barrel at one point just to try something different but ended up going with Hawk Hill (4 groove) for a number of different reasons. For what it's worth and I can't give any reasoning behind it but from I've seen and read some of the most accurate rifles out there have been the good ol' classic 4 groove... I'm sure you'll get a bunch of different opinions and that's all they will be is opinions.

Last edited:
You do not want to go any faster than 10". Even if you go up to the 230gr Berger Hybrid like mentioned above, 1-10" will carry you.

Well that's good to know. Im fine with a 1-10, I never thought about the torque either.
Does anyone have any information about the 3 groove barrels having problems with VLD's and J-4 jacketed bullets?

I have run 2 3 groove barrels with berger vlds and no problems in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running a 1:10 twist 3 groove in my 300wm. I do not know if my tube is just fast but I am pumping a 220gr Mk at 3015fps. The few burgers I have tried were also going much faster than the book said they should be. I am also running hbn.

I am running a 1:10 twist 3 groove in my 300wm. I do not know if my tube is just fast but I am pumping a 220gr Mk at 3015fps. The few burgers I have tried were also going much faster than the book said they should be. I am also running hbn.

That sounds about right... My rifle shot 220gr SMK SWA seconds at 2947 fps from a 26" tube. Didn't have any pressure signs so I'm guessing they could be handloaded faster.

I have a broughton 5c on my 300wm with a 9twist. I never really planned on shooting anything less than 208gr with 230s and 240s in being main bullets being used. I went with a 9 twist because if I used a 10twist and it didn't stabilize the 230s and 240 out to a mile I would have wasted how much on the build of the gun? Fwiw I shot some 190 fgmm during break in with a 1 shot and clean method and was able to get a 1 hole group, chrono had them at 3100fps. I haven't seen where having a 9tw has hurt me in anyway. I never planned on hunting with this rifle, only target use.

I just paid for a 1:9 barrel for yesterday form Satern. It will also be chambered in 300 WM, I plan to shoot heavier bullets and this twist was recommended by one of the guys at Berger.