• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3 grove vs 5 groove

xdeano

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2005
North Dakota
Just a little comparison guys. Any pros and cons about the 3 grove over the 5 grove? I'd like to hear them. Has anyone shot them both side by side and have you noticed any differences? I have a Bartlein 5R and was looking at another company with a 3 grove. Just looking for feed back.
Thanks guys.

Deano

Re: 3 grove vs 5 groove

I have had both 5R barrels (predominantly Bartlein) and 3 groove barrels (PacNor) and the one thing I can say with certainty is if the barrel is made well and right, they both will shoot great and give good long service. There is some merit to the 3 groove on the basis that the lands are big and wide and that helps resist crackling and blistering of the lands (i.e. bigger heat sink). But the 5R has its benefits too in that regard since the canted lands avoid the sharp near 90 degree corners on the edges of the lands that are the first thing to crack as a barrel breaks down over time (viewing many barrels with a bore scope, the cracked edges of the lands seem to be the first thing to start picking up copper fouling and stripping bullet jacket material off the bullet as the barrel breaks down over time, but the 5R land configuration seems to delay that process over conventional lands). Both 3 and 5 groove barrels clean very well indeed and do not typically pick up and hold a lot of fouling.

Cut rifled barrels are in favor with many these days so I would give the nod to Bartlein for that. I would love to see Bartlein make a 3R rifled barrel - that is one I would jump on to try right away.

Robert Whitley

Well the company that I'm looking into has both button and cut rifling, like you I'd rather have the cut. They also have standard lands and canted lands in the 3 grove. Maybe they're the best of both worlds.

xdeano

I am also of the opinion that the "R" canted lands are easier on the bullet jackets and since they are also not sharp on the edges, it helps avoid a potential "cut" to the bullet jacket like conventional lands might.

Robert, Thanks the kind remarks.

Guys, I tell everyone this. The number of grooves for the most part has no difference in barrel life and accuracy.

The wider land on a 3 groove per say might help the barrel last longer because the land is wider. This might help a button barrel but no difference in my opinion on a cut barrel. Also the button rifling work hardens the bore. So with all things being equal a cut barrel on average lasts longer.

We have made 3 groove barrels for some of the short range bench guys but there was no difference in accuracy. I've shot 2 groove thru 6 groove barrels in standard calibers and again I see no difference.

The straighter the blank, the more uniform the twist and the more uniform the bore and groove sizes over the whole length of the barrel the more forgiving the barrel is going to be.

There are a lot of things that effect how a barrel performs. Not just the number of grooves.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Thanks Frank, That's good to know.

And thanks to the rest of the guys also, I appreciate the responses.

xdeano

I've shot both 3 groove and 5 groove on two identical rem 700 only difference was one had a 5 groove rock barrel and the other had a 3groove lilja barrel, shot the same at 600 yards.