• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 3 gun gear question

Alabusa

Learning
Minuteman
  • Jan 1, 2018
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    So, I am going to try my hand at 3 gun this month. It will be a every 4th Sunday type of thing if I like it.

I have all the gear except for shotgun shell caddies. I need recommendations for which to get. I have looked at them from $15 each to over $100 dollars each. I don't want to buy junk but I am not paying over $100 for so.ething that just holds 8 shells.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

don't rush out and buy these. see what folks are using at the match and see if they would work for you. some folks might have extras to loan you. i did the first couple of matches with my cargo pockets loaded up.

all that said, the invictus practicals work pretty good for me, i think it's the 2.8's that i have, 2 quad loads off each one (i run two in front between my holster and handgun mag pouches).

Reactions: Alabusa
    Trying before buying is definately the way to go. I'd be willing to bet Enos has used gear for sale. Lots of people getting out of 3 gun these days.

3-Gun Shotgun is a very local thing. Some areas like select loading and lots of 00 buck and slug. Others like flying clays. And some clubs like to make it a loading contest. If your main club is a loading contest club, for sure eventually get something that allows quad loading. If not, you can get away with weak hand loading.

The best advice I can give is to get a Safariland ELS belt so you can easily swap out pouches and all the other stuff on your belt.

Invictus practical load 2 would be a good place to start. Don’t try quad loading yet until you get a little more confident in the load two.

Sell your shotgun and buy a VR-80, then you won't be sprinkling shotgun shells everywhere you run.
    But seriously, just go to the match with what you have, see if you like it before you spend a bunch of $$$.

Last edited:
    Sell your shotgun and buy a VR-80, then you won't be sprinkling shotgun shells everywhere you run.
    But seriously, just go to the match with what you have, see if you like it before you spend a bunch of $$$.

And pray your VR-80 runs.
    I RO'd last weeks High Desert 3gun Championship. Of the 15 or so VR's that I saw come through my stage, I think I saw 2 run without a problem of one kind or another.
    Mostly mag issues that I could tell.

Back to the OP's question though, I picked up a TACCOM drop leg rig that I think I'm going to like. I also have one of their Sport 16's that works well. I tried their chest rig, didn't like that one at all.
    The Invictus caddy's are nice too.
    Until you get use to quad loads, stick to doubles.

And pray your VR-80 runs.
    I RO'd last weeks High Desert 3gun Championship. Of the 15 or so VR's that I saw come through my stage, I think I saw 2 run without a problem of one kind or another.
    Mostly mag issues that I could tell.

Yes, I spend about 6-8 hours polishing internals, drilling ports, slicking/tuning mags and testing on one to get it to run properly, I've done 3 now that are 100% with light loads.