• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3-in-1 Case Trimmer Options

KnowNothing256

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Hey all, trying to collect info on the various options for a one-step trim/chamfer/deburr step, with a very strong preference for something that indexes on the case rather than a stop-collar like on Forster, LE Wilson, etc. Below are the ones I'm aware of, are there any I'm missing that'll do it all in one operation?

Case-Indexing:
    - Henderson
    - Giraud Tri-Way
    - Trim-It II

Collar-Indexing:
    - Forster
    - RCBS
    - LE Wilson (I think)

Thanks for any help the Hide can provide.

Hey all, trying to collect info on the various options for a one-step trim/chamfer/deburr step, with a very strong preference for something that indexes on the case rather than a stop-collar like on Forster, LE Wilson, etc. Below are the ones I'm aware of, are there any I'm missing that'll do it all in one operation?

Case-Indexing:
    - Henderson
    - Giraud Tri-Way
    - Trim-It II

Collar-Indexing:
    - Forster
    - RCBS
    - LE Wilson (I think)

Thanks for any help the Hide can provide.
    All of them will 3-way trim nicely with a good cutter head (quality control can be an issue).

I've had an LE Wilson trimmer, which was hand operated, and it worked very well in producing consistent case lengths. Currently I have a Tri-Way and a Trim-It II, which are both good trimmers. I like the Trim-It for it ease for adjustments over the way adjusting is done on the Tri-Way.

Only one thing bugged me about the Trim-It is that the cutter was leaving a burr on the outside of the mouth. I thought that I just got a bad cutter, so I order another. After installing the new cutter and making adjustments, I was still getting the same burrs. This is something I never got on my Tri-Way. Since I had also ordered a Giraud cutter and it's the same triangular head, I installed it into the Trim-It and upon getting it set up, there is no longer any of those burrs and the cuts are good. It appears the Giraud cutter is sharper than that sold with the Trim-It.

I find the both the Trim-It and the Tri-Way are a lot faster to use than the other 3-way cutters. So, if speed is your top priority, I'd say that's the way to go.

I was in this same spot a couple years ago and decided to go with a “2 gadgets instead of 1” solution… not due to budget either. I just wanted a process that would be consistent, dependable, and as painless as possible.

I ended up with a Frankford Arsenal Universal Precision Case Trimmer (used with a DeWalt and/or Milwaukee drill), and it’s easily as fast or faster than a Giraud or Henderson, super fast, the drill’s motors kick the shit out of the dumb little motors on the Girauds or Hendersons. You can rip through cases as fast as you can pick them up.

I use a Hornady Case Prep Duo for chamfer and deburr duties (with a VLD chamfer head). I chamfer (inside) every load cycle, but only deburr (outside) if the brass is virgin or I’ve just trimmed it. Again, super fast, no surprises, because there’s nothing to adjust or get out of whack.

Last edited:
    The Henderson, while very nice and my personal pick, does not index on the case. It uses a stop bolt and cuts based on case over all length.
    Good to know, thanks; frankly I'm not going to buy it, I just listed it so I wouldn't get tons of people chiming in with it haha

Can anyone confirm if the Trim It II will work with 22BR? The Tri-Way doesn't work with BR family cases, per Giraud.

There is shoulder index, and case head index.

Case head index references the cut as the over all length of the case.
    Shoulder index sets the neck length using something similar to the shoulder headspace datum.

With each method, there are pros and cons in the results, as well as what the OP is highlighting and that is the level of effort in case handling.

TheOfficeT-Rex is correct in that the Henderson is a COAL or case head type, not a shoulder type. You place each case head into the collet style holder and clamp it in. You have to be careful to get the case head fully seated straight before you shove forward toward the pilot/cutter. If you are off, the case is sitting tilted and will need to be loosened and retightened in better alignment to the centerline of the cutter.

The best way to describe a shoulder type is to say it is like a powdered pencil sharpener where you shove it in and twist.

On that list above, there is a Frankfort Arsenal Platinum Case Prep Center with trimmer that is missing because it is a straight cut. It is an entry level tool, but a very good one for the money and is a shoulder index type that is fairly universal. Looks like this. It is not a three-way machine but a straight cut where you then still must move your work to the inside and outside chamfer tool before it is finished. Still pretty fast and and easier on the budget. YMMV
    1682102740123.png

I have them all, but the Giraud is still the volume workhorse for me.

Can anyone confirm if the Trim It II will work with 22BR? The Tri-Way doesn't work with BR family cases, per Giraud.
    If there's no die for the 22BR to use with the Trim-It II, they'll custom build one for you. That's what I had to do with my 6.5 PRC. They'll have you send in a couple fired cases and you get a custom fit for it for the price of an additional die.