• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 3 Point Bedding Question

x ring accuracy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2008
Parrish, Fl.
www.xringaccuracy.com
Hey All,
Got a question. When doing a 3 point bedding, how the heck do you make the edge of the bedding compound in the barrel channel under the first inch or so of the barrel a nice crisp square line? Mine seems to ooze around the tape that I guage the barrel relief with. It is still 3 point bedding but just looks fugly.
smile.gif

Re: 3 Point Bedding Question

playdo, or something along the lines of a barrier, i used silly putty and it turned out nice

maybe a tape line, release agent on the tape and then score a mark on the bedding and see if it snaps off? looking in the thread by scimitar, it looks like just a clay dam and tape line. did i read right guys take the stock out while the glass is firm but not cured and trim then? good question.

I use some moddeling clay to make a dam.
Make something like this with the clay-
PDOG09003.jpg

Then put in stock where you want the dam to be. Make sure you put some type of release agent on the bbl and some on the clay or when you put the bble action in the stock to get the mold. If not the clay will come out with the bbled action.
PDOG09004.jpg

Set bbled action and get the desired mold. Take exacto knife and trim clay along the tape line.
PDOG09005.jpg

After clean up.
PDOG09011.jpg

7mmRM,
Great job sir! Good pics to help us out. I have used the clay (plumbers putty, since nothing sticks to it) but I have never used your razor technique. I like it!