• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3 Round Magazine Solution for AICS Mag Equipped Rifles

smorgousford

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2012
Central Colorado
Hey everyone! After a recent hunting trip I decided to knock some weight (and size) off my custom .260 Rem chambered rifle and one of the areas I identified was the magazine. I was having a little trouble getting my rifle to fit in the scabbard in my pack due to it hanging up on the 5 round AICS magazine protruding. I did a quick search for a 3 round AICS magazine but as most of you know this doesn't exist. However, Ruger makes a 3 round polymer magazine for their Gunsite Scout rifle. The GSR uses the same AICS pattern magazines so I figured I could get one to work in my rifle. I ordered one for about $30 and gave it a try.

Take a look:

The Ruger GSR 3 round polymer magazine comes in at 1.9oz

The AICS 5 round steel magazine comes in at 5.5oz

Here's a size comparison between the two. In my rifle only the GSR magazine's base pad protrudes from my stock.

However, I did have to do some modifications to the 3 round GSR magazine to get it to fit and feed reliably in my rifle.

1) The first thing that I had to do was lower the feed lips. I just turned the magazine upside down on a file on my table and went to work until the top points were filed down to flats. It would then click into my rifle reliably.

2) I was then having a problem with it reliably loading rounds into the chamber. It was usually only loading the first round okay and failing on the other two. The fix for this was to shorten the magazine lips by removing the front 1/3" to 1/4" on each side and then lubing the inside surfaces of the magazine (the follower would catch from time to time on the inside).

Here's the finished product (the area in red is where I filed material off):

Hopefully this helps someone else out!

Very nice, whats the COAL for the Ruger mag? Looks a little shorter.

Nicely done. I would love to see a pic of the magazine installed in the rifle. Contemplating doing one for my rifle. TIA.

Regards,
Paul

Reactions: chevy327
Great pics. Thanks for taking the time. I will be building one for my new 6.5x47. Great idea and weight savings to boot. What's not to like. Where is a good place to get a couple of mags?

Thanks, Paul

Apparently the ruger ones can also accept rounds pushed in the top while in the rifle if that's of use.

that's an awesome idea! that's exactly why I never wanted a hunting rifle with a detachable mag. you solved that problem!!!

chuck

Apparently the ruger ones can also accept rounds pushed in the top while in the rifle if that's of use.

I just gave this a try and it really didn't work. I had to load rounds halfway into the chamber and then back them into the magazine with tricky fingers. I then tried the same thing with the AICS and it was the same method. So no improvement there.

Nice work - are there any states limiting at most 4 potential rounds in the gun during rifle season? Meaning you can't have a 5 round mag installed at all...
I can't remember Maryland's laws anymore...