• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3 store bought or.. a custom??

Northman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2005
Im again contemplating buying a "sniper" rifle..

I have these options, all in 308:
AI AW
TRG-22
SSG 3000

or a custom Rem 700 or Howa action. Custom action not an option!

Now, here is the deal.. cost. In my currency:

AI AW: $7700
TRG-22: $4600
SSG 3000: $3000

Custom: aprox $3000

This does not include scope, mounts, bipods..

Given this.. what would your choices be? Scope is going to be a S&B 3-12x50. That cost has to be included when you give your answer, so no savings there.

Re: 3 store bought or.. a custom??

I would go custom Rem. This way you can set your rig up however you want it and will be half the price of the AIAW.For me I like choosing the stock, trigger,bottom metal,barrel and barrel lenth.
You dont say what country you are in? I dont know if you can get custom parts like this since a custom action is out of the question. All of your options sound good to me, but here is how my list would go

1. Rem custom
2. AIAW
3. TRG 22
4. SSG 3000

Norway..

The TRG-22 is acctually on offer now for $4200. Only the black version.

The custom actions are out because I would have to import them, and go through alot of hassle with just the paperworks. And adding taxes they are 60-80% more costly then a trued Rem 700.

Buy the Sako TRG-22.

Might also consider the Tikka T3 Tactical; or search this forum for Peter Lincoln's new stock and other kit for the plain jane T3 rifles.

The Sako M995 sporter, known here as TRG-S, May also be an option for you. It comes with same action and trigger (except safety location is by the bolt rather than inside the triggerguard)as the 22/42. Stock can support same barrel contour as the factory 42 magnum. There are good Sako dealer networks in Norway. Any Sako action will be miles ahead of a Remington.

Good luck with your decision.

I have a trg-s in 7 mag if anyone is interested..

That said I would get the AI AW if funds are available..

Why are you stuck on the S&B? Thats a good chunk of money that could be spent on something else and still afford a NF scope. Not saying the benders are a great piece of glass but you have other good options as well.

Every rifle you have listed are fine sticks; however, I never just look at the rifle I always have to take into consideration the accessories and how much that is going to cost. That is why I like the Remington 700 custom. Parts and accessories are easy to get at a reasonable price.

just my two cents...

No love for the SSG 3000?

-it comes with fully adjustable McMillan stock
-fast barrel change
-22lr training kit ( an extra $1000, includes barrel, mag, bolt) -cheap barrels $350 ( available in 6.5x55, 308, 30-06 I belive, and soon 223 )
-cheap magazines ( $40 for one 5 round mag ).

Northman resides in Norway. Probably cheaper to buy Schmidt & Bender or Hensoldt/Zeiss than NightForce. Remington is very expensive over there. On the bright side of things, shooters can own supressors without any problem.

Sako TRG 22 with a suppressor, accessories, top notch scope probably all for the price of the Accuracy rifle alone.

Doing a custom Rem 700 would likely cost more than the TRG. Gotta buy the rifle, and pay import duty. Guy I corresponded with in Norway 3yrs ago owned a PSS or Varmint Special and paid about 2x list for it from the Remington "agent" plus had to pay import duty. Yet, Norwegians can own only about 5 firearms, so may as well buy & spend for what you want to own. I recall this guy having difficulty getting a 20moa base for his rifle...

Point is a Rem 700 is not in the same league as a Sako TRG22, or TRG-S. For the money AI represents if you start with the Sako, you get superb quality and have funds to have Kieger or JR in Scotland build the barrel you want. If you happen to own a TRG-S in standard ctg chambering, you can swap bolt bodies and factory barrels.

M995 sporter and a TRG 22 or 42 would make a set of rifles you could swap barrels with and own additional barrels to enable using a variety of cartridges, if owning additional barrels does not comprise owning a "firearm". Even the 22/42 magazines will function, with minor alteration, in the TRG-S. only Sako offers interchangeable bolt-bodies and drop-in triggers available for direct sale and often in-stock; at least in the USA.

If you could only own 5 firearms, would be nice to have a rifle that would accomodate any round with ctg face of .473, .530, or .580, wouldn't it? Might have to buy a new forend stock piece to adapt a TRG-22 for magnum or lapua magnum magazines, in addition to the barrel and bolt body, but the point is, it can be done. Accuracy, Value, and Versatility are the hallmarks of the Sako TRG-22/42.

God long post Swamper.

Yes, the new regulations lets us have 6 weapons for hunting, and more if you use it in some competition form.

So you have to put them in different classes. Pure comp weapons, and hunting weapons.

So after springing for a 22lr and a 12gauge, you have 4 more options. And since Im reading on different forums, I want a:
#1 a "tactical" rifle
#2 a varmint rifle
#3 a long range rifle
#4 a allround hunting rifle

Now, I got an e-mail back from the importer, the Green/phos TRG-22 has a 1 year wating period, wich means he cant tell me the price for. I expect a $1000 more. He could deliver a Green TRG-42, but, alas I dont want or need a 338LM right now..

After reading about the AIAW, it seems there is a years wait there as well.

That basicly leaves SSG 3000 or Custom, if I want some kind of instant gratification.

Northman,
If it is anything like here in the US, there is a 6 month wait for a custom from one of the high-end builders. That rules out the "instant gratification" part for that route.
I just purchased a green/phos TRG 22 and love it. Ordered it on a Monday from EuroOptic in Pennsylvania and had it Wed. at my dealer in NC. It is already my favorite rifle and I only have 120 rounds on it. You may want to check out the TRG 42 in .300 Win. I don't know if they are available in Europe but may be cheaper to shoot than the .338 Lap.

AG

If you have the funds to pick up a TRG-22 plus accessories, honestly you should do it. Appart from being probably in the top 2-3 of production precision rifles it has some features you can't ever do with the 700 and the BEST ergonomics/bolt manipulation I've ever handled with a factory rifle. If cost was'nt an issue I'd say 22 all the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Northman,
If it is anything like here in the US, there is a 6 month wait for a custom from one of the high-end builders.

AG </div></div>

I wish I'd have mine in 6 months. I sent off for a build in Feb. and I'm being told Nov. or Dec. for the delivery.

New things happenig...

Now I can get a Custom Rem 700 or a Trg-22 in 3-4 weeks.

Used Rem 700
with Badger DBM,base and rings, coated stainless barrel (less then 300 rounds through), adjustable McMillan M40A1 stock, 2x5 round and 3x10 round magazine

Price: $2500

Or

Trg-22 Green/phos
without ANY options

$4600

Or plain Trg for $3800

Adding the options: bipod, mounts, 3 magz.. and Im looking at somewhere around $2000 more..

Now, after you guys cheering "get the TRG, get the TRG"... Im actually having problems thinking about this. Reloading, I could get somewhere around 5-6000 rounds just for the difference between these two options. Or, a brand new 3-12x50 PMII

Now you tell me.. wich would you get?
smile.gif

R700 and ammo or scope (as long as the metalwork was done by someone good of course).

The 700 will fill the "tactical" part of the wishlist, and you can later fill the "long range" with the TRG or whatever, and be shooting in the meantime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Norway..

The TRG-22 is acctually on offer now for $4200. Only the black version.

The custom actions are out because I would have to import them, and go through alot of hassle with just the paperworks. And adding taxes they are 60-80% more costly then a trued Rem 700. </div></div>

3000 new in green here in alaska now, thats with break. + with what chad says

LoneWolf:

What was its drawbacks?

The Sauer 200 STR, is the most used comp rifle in Scandinavia. I belive there are over 100 000 just in Norway.. The 200STR and SSG3000 main diffrence is the Mcmillan stock, and barrel with fixed brake.

The quality vs. price tag was not justified in my opinion. It did not shoot any better than my rack grade 700 for the 20 or so rounds that I personally ran through it. The two other Snipers who shot it were equally unimpressed.

Definitely shoot/handle one before you decide to plunk down the cash.

The stock was nice though, and I liked the shorter bolt lift.

Well, you can only shoot one at a time, so I don't see the benefit of multiples.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for the SSG 3000?

-it comes with fully adjustable McMillan stock
-fast barrel change
-22lr training kit ( an extra $1000, includes barrel, mag, bolt) -cheap barrels $350 ( available in 6.5x55, 308, 30-06 I belive, and soon 223 )
-cheap magazines ( $40 for one 5 round mag ). </div></div>

Where would I find cost effective barrels in the USA. Does the barrel import ban prevent me from getting something from Europe shipped in?

Thanks!
Sid