• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 3 Very Different Scopes

aprocast

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
I am after a good higher powered scope for range use.
The scopes I am considdering are the 6-24x50 Bushnell Tactical
The 8-25 Leupold VX3
The Nightforce NXS 5-22, or maybe the 8-32
They vary hugely in price, am I really going to see a significant difference, particularly at the highest power?

Re: 3 Very Different Scopes

Well I would like to add one more to the list 6-30 Bushnell 6500, are they any good, or are there any other scopes I should be looking at in this comparison

I believe it all depends on the features that you want, i am by far no expert. But from what i have been reading, i hear nothing but good about NF optics in general. There are all kinds of people that will say they are absolutely worth the money. I would tend to agree with all the good things i have read. This is third hand info so take it for what its worth.

As for the other scopes, i have read good about all of the company's in general. So i think its really going to come down to what features do you want. What budget are you trying to stay in, and what will you be doing with the optic.

But hey i am still new here too but from all the information i have gathered here all those brands and scopes seem to have a good reputation.

Vix

Sightron SIII in 6-24x50 or 8-32x56, absolutely fantastic glass, clicks are tactile and precise, just an all around great buy.

Hard to go wrong with a Nightforce, but it'll cost ya, if you've got the money, buy one, if you find it isn't for you, they retain their value well and sell pretty quick.

I run the sightron SIII, and outside of more reticle choices, it is everything I can ask for and more in a $900 scope.

I use the leupold mark4 8.5x25 on my .300wm.
Had a nightforce nxs 8x32 on my .338lm .
Both worked VERY well for me. The only reason I sold the Nightforce was lack of up on the 8x32. "the 5x22 has 100moa the 8x32 about 65moa" . Glass was great on both and repeatably was a no brainer as they went where I dialed them and back again. No small feet as I dont baby them ( Lifetime warranty ! )
Have a buddy using the VX3 8.5 x25 and he loves it.
Have a Premier on the .338 now but aint got to shoot it yet as shitty weather dont care about my gun habit!!!
Leupold ,Nightforce I know, and with them I feel you cant go wrong.
Good luck and good shooting.

Read this article:
http://demigodllc.com/articles/intro-long-range-rifle-scopes/

A tactical scope should have:
1. At least 10x magnification
2. Matching reticle and turret adjustments (moa/moa or mil/mil)
3. Zero stop

Mfgs that qualify, in order a price (low to high) are:
Vortex PST
Leupold (not sure about Leupold's zero stop)
Nightforce
IOR
USO
Premier
Schmidt & Bender
Hensoldt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aprocast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am after a good higher powered scope for range use.
The scopes I am considdering are the 6-24x50 Bushnell Tactical
The 8-25 Leupold VX3
The Nightforce NXS 5-22, or maybe the 8-32
They vary hugely in price, am I really going to see a significant difference, particularly at the highest power?</div></div>

Yes so why not S&B, or Premier Reticles? You can see the Lunar Rover with a Counter Sniper

it depends on the conditions and distance, in broad daylight at 100 yards or under florescent lighting, it's tough for the untrained eye to see the differences, but get out in the field at distance, under varying lighting condition, and the differences are easy to see

Ok, here's my take. they are all good glass, but.. how serious are you about shooting? if you do a lot of it and longer range, go with the nightforce or the leupold. If you want a lot of bells and whistles in addition to great glass, get the nightforce. If you want great glass with a few fewer options but still great stuff, get the leupold. If you are thinking budget, get the bushnell.

That said, i have a leupold mark 4 8.5-25 on my rifle, and i love it. absolutely love it. a close friend of mine has a nightforce and its worth the extra money, but i think either way, very nice glass.

the answer to this question really rests on what is most important to YOU.

Paulus