• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 220gr handload

seabass1858

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Looking for decent 220gr load data, I was thinking 59gr of rl-22 with a cci200 primer would be a good heavy load. what are your thoughts.

Re: 30-06 220gr handload

I have a savage 110 that enjoys some heavy bullets

Why the heavy, slow bullet? If that Savage wont shoot 180s and less sell that bitch, LOL.

I hunt elk with 220 grain. I have never had a shot over 75 yards though. Hunting a lot of heavy timber. I have also not had an elk run far with a 220 grain bullet. Not that a lighter grain bullet isn't fine, I have just felt better using the heavies.

Ive shot 165-220 and all done very well and seems to like the 180-220 better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Time 23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunt elk with 220 grain. I have never had a shot over 75 yards though. Hunting a lot of heavy timber. I have also not had an elk run far with a 220 grain bullet. Not that a lighter grain bullet isn't fine, I have just felt better using the heavies. </div></div>

Ive loaded some 165 Interbonds for a buddy at work, the 5 or so elk he shot didnt go far, either. Do you pass up a shot if its past 200yds since that heavy slug is almost useless? Guess folks shooting really heavy bullets especially at deer irks me a bit though it should'nt as long as they kill the animal cleanly. Whatever works for ya.

I use my 220grs for boar and 165gr accubonds for deer and have tried the 168gr etip nosler. I am a nosler fan but I am also partial to the swift a-frame. never got the chance to shoot my 30-06 at a deer past 150 but I have taken one at 400 with my 260rem using a 140gr in the 1-8 twist.

Unfortunately never get the chance for a long shot (not in the 15 years I have been hunting this area), so I don't need to worry about longer shots. If I changed hunting areas I would need to rethink my game plan. I chased a wounded elk for an day until I lost blood trail after what I thought was a good shot with a 165 grain. Obviously not a good shot, but I have never had that problem with the 220. Maybe just superstition and a comfort level for myself.

Deer would be a different story.