• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 Experts Input Needed

TrickPony29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2005
CONUS
I'm in need of some wisdom from you 30-06 experts out there. I have a Remington 700 BDL chambered in 30-06 from 1973-1975 era and I'm trying to find out what twist rate the barrel is. What I've gathered from searching the web it's most likely a 1 in 10" but I would like conformation on that. For that twist rate what would you suggest for bullet weight? Also I've read about guys having success using RE-15 and RE-22. It seems most are using RE-15 for the lighter weight bullets and RE-22 for the heavier stuff, is that correct?

Thanks in advance,
Drew

Re: 30-06 Experts Input Needed

for heavies dont forget H-1000.

1X10 is good for about anything, but in mine, it liked the heavies. i believe that is the twist rate of your rifle but am not positive.

My old Lyman Manual from those years lists Remington putting on 1-10" twist .30cal barrels. Good idea to use the cleaning rod method to make sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for heavies dont forget H-1000.

1X10 is good for about anything, but in mine, it liked the heavies. i believe that is the twist rate of your rifle but am not positive. </div></div>

Creeter,
What kind of results did you get with the H1000?

I've been using RL25 and have posted my results on here.

The barrel is too short for optimum results with RL22. Stick with RL19 or 4350 for the heavier bullets. You can try RL22 but chances are you'll do better with 4350.

It is a 10 twist. You can measure it yourself easily with a cleaning rod, a flag of masking tape, and a tape measure. Just see how many inches it takes for your tape flag to make a 360 rotation with a brush or jag and patch engaged in the rifling.

Forgot to add a load we used as a standard for all our '06s. Did well on all the game we ever shot:
30-06
DENVER 43 Brass
60gr Surplus H4831
CCI LR Mag primer
180gr Speer Spitzer HCFB
Drop 3gr & work up.

From my notes in the 70's. Still have & shoot ammo from then. It holds 5rds @100yds into .340"-.500 consistently from a low priced Adams & Bennett '06 barrel on a old '98 Mauser action. With the new manufacture H4831, I'd start a bit low, but not below 15%.

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen, very helpful. I'm going to try a few different loads and powders mentioned here.

Thanks again,
Drew