• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 Load Recommendations?

Brux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2013
GA
Got a new custom 30-06 coming and wanting to do some loading for it. Was wondering what a good powder would be for 150 or 165 GR bullets.
Haven't decided on which bullet yet.
Maybe 150GR SST, Nosler BT?

H4350/rl16 would be fine choices. Might go a smidge faster if your welded to the light side but that burn rate is pretty ideal for the 3006 imo. It’ll handle the 150s up to the 200s

Last edited:
With that bullet selection I assume you are looking at a hunting load?

My hunting load for 3 different 30-06 rifles is 168 TTSX, 2.650 BTO, 50.4gn varget, cci-200. It is a bit hot according to book but shows no pressure signs in any of the rifles and was in the middle of a node. I haven't shot it after letting them sit on a hot dash in the middle of summer, but don't hunt then either.

Sub MOA in all 3 guns .5 moa in mine. Those barnes like the .040 -.050 jump

I used to use SST's for hunting, had a real accurate load for the 180 I might be able to dig out if you want it. Problem was, they loved to fall apart and spatter lead everywhere; I hate throwing away meat. Happened on 2 elk in a row and that was enough. Switched to the TTSX probably about 8-10 years ago and haven't recovered a bullet yet from 30 to 510 yds. I did find the blue plastic tip once.

I developed that Varget load when that or 4895 was all I had and I got better accuracy out of the Varget with the TTSX so I have just stuck with it. I dont shoot enough with that gun to want to go through it all again.

Reactions: lash
My hunting loads are 150 Speer BTSP over W-W 760 or H450. 4350 works well, but being an extruded powder, it's a royal pain in the arse to use.

I’m using h4350, Nosler 150gr accubond Lapua brass and CCI 200. Shoots .5 @ 3070 FPS. Accubond has been like an off switch on antelope and deer

I tried varget but the result was same accuracy only much slower.

165 SGK over 57.5 H4350, Lapua brass, Fed 210M does 2860 from a custom Rem 700 based build.
In general, H4350 is the gold standard for temperature sensitivity in 3006 for the mid weight and heavier bullets.

I need to stop looking at this thread. Its going to make me go deal with a new load for the 06's with h- 4350 now that I have plenty of it around.

Reactions: RegionRat
Shooting 208s with reloader 26. Also look in the reloading Depot. It has alot of load data.

Reactions: DJL2
IMR4350 and 57.1grs with a 165gr Nosler BT gives me 5 shot .705" average groups at 100 yards out of my Tikka T3 lite. 2750fps

58.3grs gets me 2876fps but 1.400" groups and a bit more recoil.

Reactions: wolfeel
I like H4350 with Hornady 178gr eldx. Getting right at 2800fps with 57 grains. 1/2 to 3/4 moa.

Well...cannot justify my own thread with this one out and about. Once my .30-06 comes back, it'll send some Hornady factory fodder to see if it's got any particular preferences between 165ish and 180ish stuff. I like (and this rifle shot "OK" with) 165 SST and 178 ELD-X.

Really, though, what I want to reload is the 208 grain ELD-M. I haven't come across ELD-M data, was gonna work-up from the AMax data for Hodgdon with 4350 - is it worth seating for a longer COAL and burning more powder or just rolling with the book loads and stuffing it in there deep?

Other powders to consider? I grabbed some Superformance to mess with - gonna work up from 4831sc data with that, I think. FWIW here, the data for a 180 "SIE SPBT" @ 3.3" is 2840 for the max load - might be of interest to folks running the 178 ELD-X.

ETA: the "throw more powder in there" comment was tongue in cheek...probably not the place for it and doesn't read that way. Sorry.

Last edited:
I use RL 26 and a 190 berger hunting VLD at 2865fps from a 22 inch proof barrel.

So far it has been here in Indiana. I use it in my 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC also. I use H4350 in my 260 though.

Well I’m in KY so should be close. That’s reason I like h4350.

I use IMR 4895 since I have a buttload left over from my days of shooting service rifle match with M-1 Garand and M1A rifles. [Years ago]
I also use it in my Mod 12 Savage .223 and that is the only powder I will use in that rifle. That rifle shoots bug holes with it, not so much with other powders I tried. Local prairie dogs hate the shit.

Really, though, what I want to reload is the 208 grain ELD-M. I haven't come across ELD-M data, was gonna work-up from the AMax data for Hodgdon with 4350 - is it worth seating for a longer COAL and burning more powder or just rolling with the book loads and stuffing it in there deep?

Other powders to consider? I grabbed some Superformance to mess with - gonna work up from 4831sc data with that, I think. FWIW here, the data for a 180 "SIE SPBT" @ 3.3" is 2840 for the max load - might be of interest to folks running the 178 ELD-X.

Hornady's 2019 manual covers the ELD-M bullets and the Superformance powder. I gave the 225 ELD over Superformance recipe a try and was impressed with the velocities, but the powder turned out to be quite temp sensitive. I live in Virginia where it's hot in the summer, but occasionally find myself hunting in Wisconsin. My last time up there hunting coyotes it was 5 below zero so it's a concern for me. I can't find my notes at the moment, but the velocity drop from 80* to 5* was over 150 fps. H4831-SC is my go-to powder at the moment. It only dropped about 50 fps.

I would also add that I am currently experimenting with longer COAL in my '06. I just reamed the throat 0.145" deeper. That bought me close to 4 grains of water volume. Using Lapua 220 gr Scenar-L at a COAL of 3.490" so I'm re-working my loads. My last test was 59 grains of H4831-SC giving me 2550 fps and still no pressure signs. Still room for more, but I'm in uncharted waters for the .30-06 now. Thinking I need to get Quickload...

Last edited:
Looks like my cheap ass needs to but the new(er) Hornady manual.
I'm getting a new barrel for my .30-06 as I type. My factory M70 barrel would accommodate the 208 ELD-M @ 3.42 before it hit the lands. I'll be curious to see what I can run in the new one. The magazine should be good to 3.6 at least, so no issue there.

Honestly, if I could run the 208 @ 2700 fps, I'd be pretty damn happy. I'll definitely pay attention to temperature...the way things are shaping up, we'll see if I get through load development before my next all expense paid vacation. Might end up doing the winter load first...though, might also get to test it on white tails that way...not all bad?

Looks like my cheap ass needs to but the new(er) Hornady manual.
I'm getting a new barrel for my .30-06 as I type. My factory M70 barrel would accommodate the 208 ELD-M @ 3.42 before it hit the lands. I'll be curious to see what I can run in the new one. The magazine should be good to 3.6 at least, so no issue there.

Honestly, if I could run the 208 @ 2700 fps, I'd be pretty damn happy. I'll definitely pay attention to temperature...the way things are shaping up, we'll see if I get through load development before my next all expense paid vacation. Might end up doing the winter load first...though, might also get to test it on white tails that way...not all bad?
The manual I have is the 10th edition. Shows max load for the 208 ELD-M with 56.7 gr of Superformance giving 2650 fps. COAL is 3.340. I'm running magpul aics mags in an xlr element chassis. 3.6 is my max length. RL-22 might also get you to 2700, but it too doesn't like the cold.

jack O'Conner's favorite 3006 load 53 grs 4064 and Hornaday 150 gr spire point, I have shot a least 30 deer with this load and never lost one drt. I shot it in 5 different 3006 guns and shot sub moa in all the guns I shot it in with some one hole groups. I still have some loaded for 2 3006 guns I have just don't use them anymore.

Hornady's 2019 manual covers the ELD-M bullets and the Superformance powder. I gave the 225 ELD over Superformance recipe a try and was impressed with the velocities, but the powder turned out to be quite temp sensitive. I live in Virginia where it's hot in the summer, but occasionally find myself hunting in Wisconsin. My last time up there hunting coyotes it was 5 below zero so it's a concern for me. I can't find my notes at the moment, but the velocity drop from 80* to 5* was over 150 fps. H4831-SC is my go-to powder at the moment. It only dropped about 50 fps.

I am also coming to the conclusion that it is pretty temp sensitive, burned through 8 pounds of it making hunting loads in the winter and didn’t notice until I started loading it in my PRC. Now I have a load with the 122gr bullets that shoots great around 3150 when it is around freezing out but jumped up to near 3300 FPS when I shot it in the 70’s.

Seems like the StaBall 6.5 is similar but a little faster and I might give H4831SC another shot. Anyone have any experience with these two powders in the 06?

I am also coming to the conclusion that it is pretty temp sensitive, burned through 8 pounds of it making hunting loads in the winter and didn’t notice until I started loading it in my PRC. Now I have a load with the 122gr bullets that shoots great around 3150 when it is around freezing out but jumped up to near 3300 FPS when I shot it in the 70’s.

Seems like the StaBall 6.5 is similar but a little faster and I might give H4831SC another shot. Anyone have any experience with these two powders in the 06?
H4831SC is my current go to powder. It gave the best velocity while not losing that much when it gets below freezing. However, my rifle is being used exclusively for heavy-for-caliber bullets. 220 gr is the lightest thing I use. I was getting 2500 fps with 220 gr Lapua Scenar-L loaded to a SAAMI chamber. Now that I've throated it and have more room for powder I'm getting 2550 fps without any pressure signs whatsoever.

Another powder I have tried is IMR 4955, but I got pressure signs WAY before the book max loads so I gave up. Now that I've throated and have more room in the case I might re-visit.

In my testing superformance is great for velocity but I never could get my other numbers down.

Been testing a bunch of 150s and 165’s in a 22” factory Winchester Model 70
H4350 and RL16 are my top picks. H4350 edges out RL16 for speed by just a bit.