• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .30-06 moose load

summersux

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Lancaster Co, Pennsylvania
Hi, I need some help selecting a good load for a moose with a 30-06. My father (the man with the tag) has hunted with his rem. 760 for over 30 years and doesn't want to use anything else. With him being so use to this gun, he would struggle using any other gun in the heat of the moment. Right now, for white tail we use 150 gr. hornady btsp interlock bullets. They are nasty on deer, And very few run after being shot.

I have never shot a moose so I don't know what to expect. The longest shot will be 300 yards. We need the bullet to kill the animal quickly, the man we are hunting with says they are a paint to get out of a thicket if they run off any distance. Some people tell me to use a heavy bullet for good penetration, some say moose are easy to kill and you just need a bullet that is going to open up. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am stuck between loading a 150gr. interlock, 165gr sst, and a 190gr. interlock. I want to stay away from partitions, just for there seeming lack of knock down ability on white tails. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Re: .30-06 moose load

Got any reason you have to stay with a 190?

I'd suggest a 220 or 240 grainer with the fullest case of RL-22 you can muster. A 220 RN seated backwards and a little short (to make it feed well) is a good follow up shot for up close. They don't glance off of heavy bone, they just crush things.

For a distance shot a good Barnes in the 200gr range would be an excellent choice. Again, stuff it on top of RL-22. If you don't normally shoot the stuff, see if you can talk him into spending 40-50 bucks on a 50 pack of bullets and a pound of powder. You can work up a load and have enough rounds for 5 years of moose hunting that way.

Consider how willing you'd be to spend 40-50 bucks to have that running moose drop dead where either

a) it doesn't stomp you for shooting it
b) take off through the woods and the bear/coyote/wolves find it instead of you.

Keep it simple. Get a well constructed hunting bullet that groups well in your rifle. I probably wouldn't go below 165gr, 180s work very nicely. 200 and 220 would be fine a well just get a load your confident in and you'll be fine. There is nothing wrong with a partition, they have been reliably knocking down critters for decades. However, if you don't trust them then I would suggest you pick a different bullet. Moose don't go down that hard unless the bullet is poorly placed.

As far as the difficulty of removing them from the field.... Quarter it before you try and move it. By my self I can have an entire moose ready to move in less than two hours. If your trying to keep the cape well then it takes a bit longer. I never understood the NEED to bring a moose out whole.

First of all, swampdonkies er moose are not that hard to fell if you kill it. Every year here in Alaska, 243Win and 7-08 along with many other so called low power calibers fell moose. Place the pill in the operating room and ol bullwinkle will drop.

The #1 06 moose load in Alaska is Fed Classic 220gr with the 06 is the most popular round used in Alaska. Around 36% of all calibers used per F&G statistics. Not sure where you are hunting but 300 yards a fer piece, not that its not done but here 200 yards is the average shot.

Moose are no fun to dress, and yes, its best to drop them lights out where they stand but with that massive body and them all amp'd up during the rut, they can be dead moose walking for a few yards.

Of those, 190gr but any good 180gr would be my suggestion but not mandatory.

On the flip side, Alaska hunting is in bear country and this is one reason hunters like big magnums but once you spend a day at the sight in free day at the F&G range with hunters and their 338, 375, 416, you under stand real quickly why hunter elmer says a moose can take 3 416s in the heart and walk off. An 06 hit dead in the operating room for some reason will kill faster than that 458 in the gut......"I use a 458 just in case I miss" is the most common heard reason for using them.

Good luck and moose are not very tasty!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...moose <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">are</span></span> very tasty! </div></div>
I fixed that for you.
wink.gif

Use the heaviest bullet the gun will stabilize.

180 TSX is a great bullet. So is the 220 Federal.

180gr corelokt, 178 a-max, 220 federal, etc.

Any of the heavy rounds mentioned so far will do as long as you pick your shot carefully.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...moose <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">are</span></span> very tasty! </div></div>
I fixed that for you.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Thanks man but once you get your belly full of caribou.....enough said.
smile.gif

Deer, 150 Express Core-Lokt; bigger, 180 Express Core-Lokt.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...moose <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">are</span></span> very tasty! </div></div>
I fixed that for you.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Thanks man but once you get your belly full of caribou.....enough said.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Na you can keep them bous I want the Dall sheep and Sitka Black Tail.

Bud, I have offed many moose, they are born looking for a place to die, you dont need a 180+ bullet to off a swamp donkey. as stated by my ALaskan brothers just about anything will do. I have killed them with 5.56, so do most of the natives here. the 150 to 165 grn will put them down good, just lung shoot them, and try (its hard) not to shoot them my ponds, rivers, lakes or any other body of water that is more then ankel deep. I know, it sucks! Good luck.

scan0001-3.jpg

Dont count out the partition....this nasty old bull was taken with a .270 and 150gr partition.

WOW! That looks like something out of vintage Outdoor life and Jack O'Conner. Great picture.

Jerry

Up in Canada, many hunt them with an old Lee Enfield .303 British (and they get the job done). Anything from a 30-06 will be better...