• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 Recommendations

I didn’t think the Tikka Lites or Superlites are threaded.

Ruger Hawkeye Hunter is threaded, but wood stocked, no accuracy guarantee, and blows past your budget.

Interesting set of requirements for a factory rifle. I’m sure someone will be along who can offer more insight.

Reactions: pabrousseau
Reactions: GhostFace

“In addition to the factory 10-year warranty, the M18 Savanna comes with a sub-MOA guarantee.”

-Stan

“In addition to the factory 10-year warranty, the M18 Savanna comes with a sub-MOA guarantee.”

-Stan
This one has interested me. I have watched several accuracy videos with mixed results.

Reactions: stanley_white
The ruger American g2 says 30-06 will be released first quarter 2024 according to their website so it should be out soon and would hopefully meet your criteria. They don’t list the barre length but I’d assume the long actions will be a couple inches more than the current 20” short actions

Ruger American in 308? I bought one in 6.5 creedmoor for a relative and it shoots very well plus they're affordable so you can beat it around and not worry about it. My only two hunting rifles are old JC higgins 270 and 30-06 which were mausers with chrome lined barrels from the 1950s. I only like old hunting rifles tbh.

Ruger American in 308? I bought one in 6.5 creedmoor for a relative and it shoots very well plus they're affordable so you can beat it around and not worry about it. My only two hunting rifles are old JC higgins 270 and 30-06 which were mausers with chrome lined barrels from the 1950s. I only like old hunting rifles tbh.
I own a CVA Cascade in 308. It is a tack driver. Just want the 06 for a little more umph.

You could look at starting with a howa 1500 barreled action from Brownells. Their description says they have a 30-06 with 1/2-28 threads. Then put into a lightweight stock and you should be close on weight and price.

Looks like savage has a couple options but price and/or weight are slightly out of your specs.

Tikka also has their supervarmint in .30-06 but I've yet to find in stock anywhere. But price and weight are just outside your range as well.

LR

Bergara Sierra Wilderness is at the top of the list right now based on recommendations.

1710029209697.png

Thanks everyone. I decided to purchase a HOWA barreled action from Brownell's in 30-06. They had a 15% off coupon for it, so it was a very good price. I have the adapter for it on hand (y'all kind of talked me into that) and also a custom 30 cal brake I had made for a previous HOWA that is the correct profile for the barrel. I think I may go old school and get a walnut stock from Boyd's. I have a new Arken 5-24x50 in the box that was waiting for my next rifle.

I'm really curious to see how it shoots.

I've been looking at bell and carlson for another rifle. They seem to have a good value.

LR

I'm really curious to see how it shoots.

I've been looking at bell and carlson for another rifle. They seem to have a good value.

LR
The stock fits great and I can tell you, the recoil seems about the same as my .308. LOP is perfect. Now, if I could find an ammo to give me good groups I would be good to go.

Got that same type from Hornady and tried it. Lifts my eye too far above centerline. So, I get a good cheekweld on the stock without it.
We're all built different, if that stock fits you and the optic, you're doing better than a lot of us.
I need an adjustable cheek riser or build up the stock to get a consistent eye placement behind the scope.
I bought a crossbow with a scope last year, and I'll have to modify the stock to keep me consistent behind the optic...

We're all built different, if that stock fits you and the optic, you're doing better than a lot of us.
I need an adjustable cheek riser or build up the stock to get a consistent eye placement behind the scope.
I bought a crossbow with a scope last year, and I'll have to modify the stock to keep me consistent behind the optic...
I will say, the Arken does not have the best eye relief. I have it moved back as far as it will go and the bell is a hair from touching the pic rail. I get a good picture, though. It is great glass, but I have thought about replacing it with one of my Vortex Diamondback scopes. Just a whole lot less zoom. 16x vs a 24x.

I will say, the Arken does not have the best eye relief. I have it moved back as far as it will go and the bell is a hair from touching the pic rail. I get a good picture, though. It is great glass, but I have thought about replacing it with one of my Vortex Diamondback scopes. Just a whole lot less zoom. 16x vs a 24x.
I have the same issue with the pic rail on my rifles. I'm going to cut the excess extension off mine so I can move the scopes back.

I have the same issue with the pic rail on my rifles. I'm going to cut the excess extension off mine so I can move the scopes back.
Don't be afraid to trim off the overhang past the end of the forward ring on the action.
I have trimmed off a couple for scope clearance in the past, no problems afterwards.
Hacksaw and a file / dremel / belt sander / scotchbrite deburring wheel and a little flat black paint will make it all like new.
Don't be afraid to make stuff work better for you.

I’m waiting for the Remington 700 alpha 1

I own a CVA Cascade in 308. It is a tack driver. Just want the 06 for a little more umph.
Not trying to derail your thread, just wanted to toss an "out of the box" idea out there, as another option to keep in your pocket...

Step up to a .280 Ackley over the .30-06, IMO... Owning both, I'd pick my 24" .280 Ackley with Burger 175 Elite Hunters over my 26" .30-06 Ackley custom build any day of the week. The .30-06 AI is an absolute tack-driver with Berger 185 VLD's, but I never fell in love with the cartridge. IMO, the .280 Ackley is the perfect sweet spot for long action cases, but not stepping up into the magnums. .280 Ackley has mild recoil, and respectable ballistics, and if you handload you can get even better velocities over factory ammo. Nosler makes and sells brass and factory ammo for .280 Ackley.

If you don't mind stepping into a magnum, the 7 PRC is a hell of a cartridge. And if you load a 7mm RemMag with modern components into modern brass and at modern pressures, you can make it do some amazing things, as well.

Reactions: USAF Ret
Looks like you got a winner. Did you do the recommended Howa barrel break in?
I did not. Took it out and shot it after running a snake through it. Probably shot 20 rounds. Did a copper cleaning on it at the house and took it back out. The more I have read, barrel break ins can do more damage than good. I may be wrong, but I just bypass them.

Reactions: LReece
Not trying to derail your thread, just wanted to toss an "out of the box" idea out there, as another option to keep in your pocket...

Step up to a .280 Ackley over the .30-06, IMO... Owning both, I'd pick my 24" .280 Ackley with Burger 175 Elite Hunters over my 26" .30-06 Ackley custom build any day of the week. The .30-06 AI is an absolute tack-driver with Berger 185 VLD's, but I never fell in love with the cartridge. IMO, the .280 Ackley is the perfect sweet spot for long action cases, but not stepping up into the magnums. .280 Ackley has mild recoil, and respectable ballistics, and if you handload you can get even better velocities over factory ammo. Nosler makes and sells brass and factory ammo for .280 Ackley.

If you don't mind stepping into a magnum, the 7 PRC is a hell of a cartridge. And if you load a 7mm RemMag with modern components into modern brass and at modern pressures, you can make it do some amazing things, as well.
Well, I got talked into it. My 280 AI is being shipped tomorrow. HOWA with a custom barrel and the entire thing has been melonited and comes in an HS Precision stock. A custom rifle from a buddy who builds rifles and he offered it when I mentioned building one. Very happy to have it as he has built me several AR tack drivers.

280 Ackley 1.jpg

Reactions: FuhQ